WY Mule Deer/Prong Horn combo suggestions...

Ryan7839

FNG
Hey fellas,

A few buddies and I are planning a DIY hunt in WY next year (2020). We have been gobbling up points for a few years and should be able to apply as a group with 3. We are looking to hunt the concurrent season of Mule Deer and Antelope, with a quality deer being the priority.

Basically I'm looking for a decent starting point, or any suggestions. What areas are better for the combo hunt? Any specifics to avoid? Places to visit? GPS coordinates to your favorite spots (lol j/k). We have a GoHunt subscription and year to plan. Thats pretty much where we are right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

You're probably gonna have to do a bit of research for this one, WY isn't super straight forward with their tags. The deer units are different than the antelope units, so you will have to pull out both maps and find a spot that you want to hunt that may look good for both species. Do you have 3 points for antelope and mule deer?

I would try to find an area that has some rolling hills mixed in with some trees for deer, and some flatter sage brush spots for antelope. I typically do not see them in the same exact area but it's possible. If I were you, I would just focus on finding a good mule deer spot, and once you have that unit solidified, try to pick up an antelope tag for somewhere semi nearby and you can try to fill that if you tag out early on the muley.

JWP58

WKR
I would suggest a region tag for deer. But I won't suggest the region lol.

As far as antelope, focus on accessible land. If you have a ton of country to hunt in speedgoat country you will find one to shoot.

Now you've got a few months to research, good luck.

bdan68

WKR
Since you say a quality mule deer is a priority, and also since you only have three points, along with your group being inexperienced in Wyoming, my suggestion would be to stick to only deer for this hunt. You're in a tough position with three deer points though, as it's more than enough points to draw most of the regional tags. I think the only two you wouldn't draw with three points are G and H. Since you're coming from the east I'd probably be looking at regions closer to that side of the state. I can't really recommend any though, most you could draw with only one point, so you'd be "wasting" your points. If you're willing to pay more to apply in the special draw, H would be an option. Southwest corner of the state though, so longer drive for you. Tough spot to be in and I'm in the same situation as I also have three points for deer and antelope. You might also look at hunting only antelope your first time out, and try to become more familiar with some areas for future deer hunts. But to do both hunts all in one trip seems like too much to me. That is, unless you have a lot of time, like two full weeks, then I think it would be more doable.

Id agree with the guys saying getting both tags is to much. i personally would pick one, specifically a region tag. And have lots of spots to check out. Over 7 days out there 2 scouting pre season and 5 hunting i found in my circumstance it made much more sense to camp at your truck. i did pack in a ways for the first 4 days but you get that stuck feeling. and things got much better when i could hit totally different spots. i found luck in glassing and hunting in the mornings. and using the nights to more so scout a new spot if i decided to change locatoins. this got me opportunities at 3 decent bucks over the time and stalks 4 of the 5 hunting days and some times multiple stalks. so i vote stay mobil also

jay97070

FNG
Looking at doing a similar hunt this year with my brother. We're considering a region for Deer that has Antelope areas that we can draw with zero or 1 point. We'll see how it goes - we're not going for big animals, more the experience for sure.

Looking at doing a similar hunt this year with my brother. We're considering a region for Deer that has Antelope areas that we can draw with zero or 1 point. We'll see how it goes - we're not going for big animals, more the experience for sure.
Do zero point units still exist?

Todd P

FNG

Hit up O'Brien Creek Outfitters, out of Wyoming. Tyler is a top-notch guide. I did an Antelope hunt with him in 2023, going back to do a Mule deer hunt in 2024. While out scouting Antelopes we saw lots of Mule deer in our area.

I am sure they can help you with information on the different areas where point creep isn't an issue.

Laramie

WKR
Hit up O'Brien Creek Outfitters, out of Wyoming. Tyler is a top-notch guide. I did an Antelope hunt with him in 2023, going back to do a Mule deer hunt in 2024. While out scouting Antelopes we saw lots of Mule deer in our area.

I am sure they can help you with information on the different areas where point creep isn't an issue.
I'm guessing he figured something out over the last 3 years since his post was in January of 2021.