WY Results Are Out

Mojave

WKR
Are you implying that the draw odds are not calculated from this years data? Please explain.

ClearCreek
There is no way to know how many people are applying before the application season.

Draw odds are from last year with a best guess on what people think is in the point pool. Using a simulation algorithm.

Even for residents, no one knows how anyone will apply until the draw is over.

3 things screwed up the 2023 Wyoming draw.
1. Weather, last years drought and winter snow storm die off.
2. The belief by tons of non-residents that Wyoming will do a 90-10 split, even though I think it died in committee.
3. The now signed into law HB 200 increase the cost of special application fees.
  • Nonresident special elk: from $576 to $1,258 – up 118%
  • Nonresident special deer: from $288 to $826 – up 187%
  • Nonresident special antelope: from $288 to $874 – up 203%
Plus that dimwit Newberg and all the other Youtube hunting personalities are telling everyone to bail on Wyoming, that this is the year to get out.

There is no way to know how many people are applying before the application season.

Draw odds are from last year with a best guess on what people think is in the point pool. Using a simulation algorithm.

2. The belief by tons of non-residents that Wyoming will do a 90-10 split, even though I think it died in committee.
3. The now signed into law HB 200 increase the cost of special application fees.
Plus that dimwit Newberg and all the other Youtube hunting personalities are telling everyone to bail on Wyoming, that this is the year to get out.
For 2023 the cost was

NR special elk is $1268
NR special deer is $ 662
NR special antelope is $ 614
Been those prices since 2018 but the 2024 increase is still gonna be a pricey one.

Mojave

WKR
For 2023 the cost was

NR special elk is $1268
NR special deer is $ 662
NR special antelope is $ 614
Been those prices since 2018 but the 2024 increase is still gonna be a pricey one.
Yes, the part I quoted is only the "special" fee, not the actual tag fee.

Yes, the part I quoted is only the "special" fee, not the actual tag fee.
Gotcha. Gonna be very interesting in 2024 for WY draw odds. I suspect the Max point units won’t change much but many of the mid/lower tier may.

Mojave

WKR
I am burning 10 points on deer with a friend. I am planning on paying the special rate.

Mojave:

OK, I get what you are saying now. Yes, you are correct that a person can not look back at last years draw odds and say the draw odds are XXX for Hunt Area XXX for the upcoming year. Just way too many variables

I thought you were saying the drawing odds that are posted on the WGFD website now, after the 2023 draw, are only a guess. My bad.

ClearCreek

OP
R

Rich M

WKR

I believe 90/10 will be back. Too much R vs NR stuff these days for it to remain dead for too long. The permit cuts/winter kill this year arent gonna help that.

It got me motivated, otherwise we’da kept counting points til we had enough.

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
I was able to draw Doe/Fawn tags for units 80 and 81...Although I am looking forward to the potential of getting out there, I'm reading more and more about how hard antelope were hit in WY by the winter conditions. Any one have insight to the herd/population health in those areas. As much as I'd love to hunt those tags, would it be more responsible to give them a break this year, especially the doe and fawn?

I have drawn a buck tag and a doe/fawn tag also I will not use the doe/fawn tag in Wyoming this Oct. Thats my contribution to the herd. Not the units you mentioned but every little bit helps in my opinion.