Wyoming Antelope Gun...

roymunson

WKR
Have a hunt booked near Carlile, WY next fall (november) where i'll be doing a combo of hills/mountain mule deer and antelope. I plan on running my Tikka T3 7 rem mag with 150 grain rounds in it (Partition, TTSX, or Sirrocco II). Should be a good round for deer, but having never chased antelope, should I stick with this gun (which I love to shoot), or take along a 243 for antelope. My understanding is we won't be running into both species at the same time, so swapping guns is probably an option. The guide says he likes his 7 Rem Mag with 168s for everything, but that seems like a lot of gun.

I'm probably overthinking it. I'm inclined to just run with the 7 mag, especially if we get wind in the flat, but wondered what you guys thought of it.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
“No kill like overkill”. I shoot win mag at antelope. Just stay away from the front shoulder and you don’t have to worry about losing meat.

Antelope are shedding their horns by November fyi.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
He offered the combo, and research has shown he's a pretty solid outfitter. I defer to him to know what he's doing.

That said, I think i'll probably stick with the 7 mag and take em out.

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
The 7mm is a good choice. I’ve used it on several. As others have said, good shot placement will save a lot of meat.

It wouldn’t hurt to bring both as they’d both be adequate for mule deer and goats. Then you’d have a backup rifle. But if you don’t want the hassle of hauling two rifles the 7mm would be my choice. I’d go with the Sciroccos or TTSX for the higher b.c.

I’d pick whichever your rifle shoots best and if it’s too close to tell go with whichever has the higher b.c. That may be so close it doesn’t make much difference.

You are right, it’s not often that you’ll bust a good muley right in the same area as antelope. It does happen though.

I don’t know what kind of ranges you have available where you live but I’d make sure you can reliably punch an 8” target at 400+ yards from field positions.

Last edited:

Northpark

WKR
Just use one gun. Take the 7 Rem mag. I’ve shot several goats with a .300 win mag and have no complaints.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
It wouldn’t hurt to bring both as they’d both be adequate for mule deer and goats. Then you’d have a backup rifle. But if you don’t want the hassle of hauling two rifles the 7mm would be my choice. I’d go with the Sciroccos or TTSX for the higher b.c.

I’d pick whichever your rifle shoots best and if it’s too close to tell go with whichever has the higher b.c. That may be so close it doesn’t make much difference.

You are right, it’s not often that you’ll bust a good muley right in the same area as antelope. It does happen though.

I don’t know what kind of ranges you have available where you live but I’d make sure you can reliably punch an 8” target at 400+ yards from field positions.

A backup gun isn't a bad idea. We're driving out. So space isn't really an issue.

I don't know that penetration will be an issue on game that size with partitions, but the Sirrocco II's shoot really nice

400 yards should be doable.

If the Swift bullets shoot well I’d go with them for sure. They are bonded and will not have any problem with penetrating either species. I’d pick a heavy for caliber bonded bullet for the backup .243 Win.

Pooner

FNG
Shoot your 7mag, if you shoot it better its the better choice. I took a SD antelope last year with my 7Mag loaded with 160 accubonds and it had much less meat loss than my last antelope shot with a 6.5creedmoor and 6.5PRC. The best gun to take on any hunt is the gun you shoot the best.

Rich M

WKR
Stick w the 7 mm mag.

Dont worry about premium or heavy for caliber bullets.

I like 150s out of 3006 and 100s out of 243. Shot my biggest buck (300# or more) with the 243, which was my backup gun. 220 yards.

Cup and cores with all my hunting ammo. Don’t need bonded for deer or antelope. They die easy.

Pooner

FNG
I like bonded for them because they don't blow up and ruin capes and meat. I have lost a few capes and whole front shoulders to eldxs and ballistic tipped bullets out of smaller caliber and bigger caliber guns. But at the end of the day the best thing for antelope is what shoots best in your gun.

I think heavy for caliber bullets would apply for the .243 to bump up the s.d.. Not necessary for the 7mm but the higher b.c. would be a good thing.

jayhawk

WKR
The 7mm Rem is perfect. I wouldn't overthink it. Just concentrate on being familiar with what that gun does at 300+ and you'll be set.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
seems overwhelmingly in favor of the 7 mag and take the that way.

Probably either the Scrirrocco II's or Partitions in 150 grain. I do have some TTSX laying here too... It'll be one of those 3 in 150 grain bullets

anyone have any pet loads with N160 and the above? I also have some H4350 of H4831SC I could use, but i have a lot of n160 I'd like to start using up.