Wyoming draft regulations 2024

manitou1

WKR
APR's serve no purpose other than discouraging certain types of hunters from hunting certain areas. It might reduce a little bit of hunting pressure in an area (which is good), but it does nothing to improve the quality of deer that live there. After 2-3 years, APR's actually have a fairly negative impact on deer populations.

If reduction in pressure was truly a goal, and WGFD really wanted to try something that'd help, they'd do away with statewide Gen tags for residents and make folks pick between archery and rifle seasons. This is coming from a resident who usually puts in for a "once in a lifetime" type of tag because falling back on a Gen tag isn't a bad thing. I can hunt from Sept. 1 to early Nov. across the state on a Gen tag.

Make folks pick an area and a season, see how it works. If nothing else, it'll at least improve the quality of the hunt.

Ultimately, weather and habitat are the biggest factors. And, you've got an explosion of elk, which mule deer lose to in the competition of resources (mule deer lose to every animal in the competition of resources, including whitetail), and probably 15 other factors that play into it.
Where we lived before, when the state started APRs we started seeing a LOT more 3+ year old deer in just a couple of seasons.
Considering 70% of all 1.5 year old bucks were killed during rifle season in Missouri, APRs made a significant difference.

There is nothing or anybody that could convince me otherwise. I scouted, hunted and took others hunting as a nearly year round endeavor... and had terrific views to monitor deer all around my property.

APRs did make a huge difference. This of course is for those of is that like to kill big deer and don't care to shoot young/small bucks.

Here is a simple story problem:
70% of yearling bucks killed during firearms season. I see similar here in WY and no doubt a lot of youngsters are killed in Montana too.
If it is illegal to kill baby bucks, then more survive... increasing herd size! Also increases the quality of available bucks.

No brainer...

Archer86

WKR
Your reading comprehension sucks. No one said they wanted to take the buck to doe ratio to single digits. Single digits was cited as the range when you get into issues of does not being bred. No one said they wanted single digit buck ratios.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
As does yours go listen to the go hunt mule deer podcast that was posted before that post they specifically talked about the need to try it if they are going to try other things. That's where that came from

don't get your panties all waded up to fast

CorbLand

WKR
Where we lived before, when the state started APRs we started seeing a LOT more 3+ year old deer in just a couple of seasons.
Considering 70% of all 1.5 year old bucks were killed during rifle season in Missouri, APRs made a significant difference.

There is nothing or anybody that could convince me otherwise. I scouted, hunted and took others hunting as a nearly year round endeavor... and had terrific views to monitor deer all around my property.

APRs did make a huge difference. This of course is for those of is that like to kill big deer and don't care to shoot young/small bucks.

Here is a simple story problem:
70% of yearling bucks killed during firearms season. I see similar here in WY and no doubt a lot of youngsters are killed in Montana too.
If it is illegal to kill baby bucks, then more survive... increasing herd size! Also increases the quality of available bucks.

No brainer...
It increases the wrong deer to grow a deer herd though. You manage does to manage deer herds. You manage bucks for hunting.

You saw a lot more bucks but not more deer and after hard winters with heavy losses, you need deer and does create deer.

If I have 100 deer and 25 are bucks, the most my deer herd can increase is 75( excluding the ability to twin, that’s too much math). If I have 100 deer and 12 are bucks, my deer herd can increase by 88. Which one is going to rebound faster?

Of those 70% of young bucks that are killed, how many would die either way?

Grundy53

WKR
In my home state of Washington. We've had APRs on all mule deer for close to 30 years. The herd is in worse shape than ever.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Archer86

WKR
If I have 100 deer and 25 are bucks, the most my deer herd can increase is 75( excluding the ability to twin, that’s too much math). If I have 100 deer and 12 are bucks, my deer herd can increase by 88. Which one is going to rebound faster?

Of those 70% of young bucks that are killed, how many would die either way?
Hard to tell with a herd that small the buck to doe ratio could swing dramatically from year year to year until you get to a statistically significant number of deer they could easily flip flop in buck to doe ratios After the fawns drop. Then the other group would grow faster.

Archer86

WKR
In my home state of Washington. We've had APRs on all mule deer for close to 30 years. The herd is in worse shape than ever.

I think most agree long term apr are not good. But washington has many other compounding factors cause issue for deer as well apr are not the only reason they are struggling

Grundy53

WKR
I think most agree long term apr are not good. But washington has many other compounding factors cause issue for deer as well apr are not the only reason they are struggling
Agreed. We definitely have other issues. Just pointing out that the apr didn't help at all.