Wyoming Draw Odds

Does it make any sense to apply for a high-point Wyoming unit without anywhere near the points? Is there any chance at all of getting drawn somehow (like a lottery?) Or is it entirely based on points and/or statistical? Even if I did so and failed, I would still be able to purchase a preference point.

OP
WookieBowcaster
More questions about the draw after the fact:

Is there any way of knowing that if I was selected via preference point draw vs. random draw? I am assuming that, since we applied with preference points, then we went into the regular non-resident draw.

Does that mean if we would have applied with zero points (or not enough points) we'd be placed in the random draw?

EdP

WKR
My understanding is that if you apply with preference points but don't get drawn you are put in the random draw. If you draw first choice in the random your points are burned. If you have points there is no way to apply just in the point draw or just in the random.

wapitibob

WKR

Is there any way of knowing that if I was selected via preference point draw vs. random draw?

yes, but you need the draw database

I am assuming that, since we applied with preference points, then we went into the regular non-resident draw.

Does that mean if we would have applied with zero points (or not enough points) we'd be placed in the random draw?

There are 3 draws, regular price (full) special price (full), and reduced price
you can apply in two, provided only one is full price
In the full price draws, your app will go thru the point side (75%) then everybody that didn't draw will go to the random (25%), your 1st choice is still active. All apps get looked at in both the pp side and the random side., there just may not be any tags available.

EdP

WKR
The pp point draw precedes the random and if not drawn in the pp draw you are automatically entered into the random.

Blackcats06

Lil-Rokslider

Is there any way of knowing that if I was selected via preference point draw vs. random draw? I am assuming that, since we applied with preference points, then we went into the regular non-resident draw.

You can know after the fact when draw odds are released.

There is a random draw fir buck tags, but if you just want to go to a unit you should pit in for doe tags. Everyone has the same odds on doe tags.