Wyoming Draw: First Choice, Second Choice, Third Choice

I was successful in drawing a tag in Wyoming this year. That said, I'm still dissecting my Wyoming application process. And planning for the next trip.

There was one piece of advice that I did not quite understand. It was, that I should "only apply to 1 unit as a non-resident. There was little-to-no chance I would get a second choice or a third choice."

If that's the case, why did I have that option to make additional choices?

Can any Roksliders explain the logic behind this advice?

Thanks,

—WBC

its because there are some (very few) units that if they were your second choice there is a possibility you could draw. units where the amount first choice applicants did not reach the quota. I believe lat year this was like one or two units. different story for us residents. You will see this across the west I believe Washington has second and even third choices for sheep and moose, are you going to get dawn on a second or third choice? no, but it's still there. Put in for the unit you want to hunt if you don't want hunt your second choice don't put in for it...

its because there are some (very few) units that if they were your second choice there is a possibility you could draw. units where the amount first choice applicants did not reach the quota. I believe lat year this was like one or two units. different story for us residents. You will see this across the west I believe Washington has second and even third choices for sheep and moose, are you going to get dawn on a second or third choice? no, but it's still there. Put in for the unit you want to hunt if you don't want hunt your second choice don't put in for it...

In Washington it’s bonus points and they look at all of your choices before moving on to next application, kinda like Nevada. In Idaho they have a 2nd choice for all species and I see so many people apply for 2 top tier units and I always tell them they will never draw that 2nd choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
As explained, you likely will have very little chance of drawing your 2nd and 3rd choice. However, it can't hurt to list them on the outside chance you could get a tag. Just don't count on drawing beyond your first choice.

wapitibob

WKR
There were a lots of hunts that were drawn as 2nd choice last year in the special. I didn't look at the regular. The random demand reports will show you the odds of drawing 2nd choice. With the special draw price increase in 2024 there should be a metric ton available.

Laramie

WKR
There were a lots of hunts that were drawn as 2nd choice last year in the special. I didn't look at the regular. The random demand reports will show you the odds of drawing 2nd choice. With the special draw price increase in 2024 there should be a metric ton available.
Agreed - Quite a few in the regular as well at first glance. Most of the hunts are less desirable due to lack of public land but the fact remains, people can still draw on a second choice as a non-resident.

yep, did a little digging and the above posts are correct, there were quite a few units that could have been drawn on second choice in the special. I had been looking at regular. that said they are defiantly the type of hunt your going to have to be willing to knock on a few doors due to a lack of public land or goats.

Rich M

WKR
You can fill in all the spaces - no harm no foul. Just don't waste your time researching the unit til you get the tag.

Most units sell out in the primary draw - you can check and see how many folks applied for a given hunt on the WY site. There may be like 100 tags and there will be 250-1,000 applicants.

Last edited:
Because a handful of years ago I could draw my third choice or even pick up type 1 tags in the leftover draw...

LA Hunter

FNG
This year (2024), you might have a chance to win a second-choice tag in the Special Draw.

You keep your points if you win a special tag as your second choice.

Laramie

WKR
This year (2024), you might have a chance to win a second-choice tag in the Special Draw.

You keep your points if you win a special tag as your second choice.
Agree but none of the tags available as a second choice would be worth spending that amount on imo.

thayerp81

FNG
The way I understand it, pick the unit you really want as your first choice (will burn your points if selected) and then add in a couple of less desirable units as your second and third choice and if you get drawn for them it won't burn your preference points. this at least gives you the option for SOME hunt, even if it's not prime. My research shows there area few units with very minimal public land that you have a decent chance for being drawn, most of those units have people who will allow you to pay trespass fee of 1-2K depending on how long) for an almost guaranteed shot opportunity.

I don't claim to be an expert, just my understanding from the research I've done the passed couple years, in preparation to start applying next year.

jakeg

FNG
I always select a second choice just in case. In Wyoming you won't lose your points if you draw a second choice so you get both a tag and point for the year which is a win-win. The likelihood of actually drawing a second choice unit is realistically very low if you select a decent unit but still worth putting in for if you would be interested in hunting there

I always select a second choice just in case. In Wyoming you won't lose your points if you draw a second choice so you get both a tag and point for the year which is a win-win. The likelihood of actually drawing a second choice unit is realistically very low if you select a decent unit but still worth putting in for if you would be interested in hunting there
jakeg
You probably already know this, but you do not automatically get issued a preference point if you do not draw your first choice.

Preference points now have to be purchased after the draw.

ClearCreek

jakeg

FNG
jakeg
You probably already know this, but you do not automatically get issued a preference point if you do not draw your first choice.

Preference points now have to be purchased after the draw.

ClearCreek
Thanks for mentioning that! Back in the day you automatically got the point if you did not draw but that is a separate purchase now. The good part of drawing second choice is that you still have the ability to purchase a point and continue building points as well as hunting that year - I did not call that out very well in my original post