Wyoming license proposals, big cuts to Antelope.

BuzzH

WKR
People can do whatever they want with their own tags. They can use them as toilet paper, a bookmark, or a firestarter.

In fact, this is right out of the playbook from the anti-hunters who drew several of the WY grizzly tags and had plans to delay it for subsequent tag holders. It is no different.

It doesn't bother me if someone throws a doe antelope tag in the trash, but I'll actually respect it when they dump a sheep or goat tag in the shredder because they feel Fish and Game isn't managing them just right...
Prove that several grizzly tags were drawn by antihunters.

It was closer to ONE....

It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation and flat lies that are taken as fact.

Keep in mind that wildlife is held in trust for all citizens of the state, meaning anyone can apply for any tag they want...and do with it what they want.

None of your business...keep your eyes on your own work.

BuzzH

WKR
I personally would like to see a cut and dry policy where if the herd is under objective, there are zero tags issued until it increases back over the objective. Remove money from the equation, let the biologists set quotas and seasons.
Don't disagree as long as population data is on observed numbers and not population models and trend data.

OP
go_deep

go_deep

WKR
People can do whatever they want with their own tags. They can use them as toilet paper, a bookmark, or a firestarter.

In fact, this is right out of the playbook from the anti-hunters who drew several of the WY grizzly tags and had plans to delay it for subsequent tag holders. It is no different.

It doesn't bother me if someone throws a doe antelope tag in the trash, but I'll actually respect it when they dump a sheep or goat tag in the shredder because they feel Fish and Game isn't managing them just right...

Don't confuse the two different situations.
One anti got a grizzly tag and sat on it, with an abundant population.
The other is people recognizing an over issuing of tags and intentionally not filing these tags in an effort to get the populations to recover so people can go hunt and fill their licenses.

Last edited:
It’s always been odd to me whenever I’m in WY hunting pronghorn and see so many does be hitting the ground. Granted, I’m always hunting second choice less desirable units but I can’t recall a trip where I didn’t see more does get killed than bucks. Cant say I’m surprised at the numbers, glad to see they are cutting doe tags.

bdan68

WKR
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that many of the ranchers in Wyoming don't want any antelope on their property.

Laramie

WKR
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that many of the ranchers in Wyoming don't want any antelope on their property.
I know a few that hate them but most I know like having them around in reasonable numbers.

Jimss

WKR
Antelope today in Wyo is a far cry from what it was a few years back! If you've been around Wyo for long you know exactly what I'm talking about. There is a lot of different negative factors going on right now that aren't in antelope's favor. Hopefully the WG&F figures out that they are going to loose $ in the long run if they continue issuing gobs of doe tags and aren't figuring out strategies to improve fawn birth rates and success through year 1 of their lives.

npm352

WKR
Prove that several grizzly tags were drawn by antihunters.

It was closer to ONE....

It's ridiculous the amount of misinformation and flat lies that are taken as fact.

Keep in mind that wildlife is held in trust for all citizens of the state, meaning anyone can apply for any tag they want...and do with it what they want.

None of your business...keep your eyes on your own work.
Read the post big guy... specifically the part where I said you can wipe your own ass with your tag for all I care.

Why would it matter if one or two or three anti-hunters drew grizzly tags? It happened, that was their plan. Don't deflect. They wanted to rob someone of an opportunity. Doesn't make it wrong or illegal or unethical, but it is no different than what you do. You think F&G is wrong for putting too many pronghorn tags in the draw. They think F&G was wrong for trying to give out grizzly tags.

Sometime post a pic of you dropping a bull moose tag in a shredder because you and I both know their populations are suffering...I'll be waiting right here.

npm352

WKR
Don't confuse the two different situations.
One anti got a grizzly tag and sat on it, with an abundant population.
The other is people recognizing an over issuing of tags and intentionally not filing these tags in an effort to get the populations to recover so people can go hunt and fill their licenses.
It isn't different. The purpose is the same. Don't be under the illusion that because someone thinks their cause is better that it is.

Again, I don't give an f what someone does with their tag. It is theirs. They can treat it like any other piece of paper, or as an opportunity to go into the wild and hunt. I think that tossing a doe antelope tag "for the cause" is something guys do for themselves rather than the herd....or so that "people can go hunt and fill their licenses."

"Hey look at my stack of tags I'm throwing away. I'm such a cool cat."

BuzzH

WKR
Read the post big guy... specifically the part where I said you can wipe your own ass with your tag for all I care.

Why would it matter if one or two or three anti-hunters drew grizzly tags? It happened, that was their plan. Don't deflect. They wanted to rob someone of an opportunity. Doesn't make it wrong or illegal or unethical, but it is no different than what you do. You think F&G is wrong for putting too many pronghorn tags in the draw. They think F&G was wrong for trying to give out grizzly tags.

Sometime post a pic of you dropping a bull moose tag in a shredder because you and I both know their populations are suffering...I'll be waiting right here.
Would a red desert pronghorn buck tag going through the shredder be worth your wait?

There was one grizzly tag drawn by a semi famous photographer...

Stop exaggerating and making stuff up.

npm352

WKR
Would a red desert pronghorn buck tag going through the shredder be worth your wait?

There was one grizzly tag drawn by a semi famous photographer...

Stop exaggerating and making stuff up.
Still waiting for you to stop thumping your chest and start shredding a sheet, goat or moose tag.

Rich M

WKR
I think that tossing a doe antelope tag "for the cause" is something guys do for themselves rather than the herd....

Folks who announce stuff - maybe. Most folks don't announce it. If someone passes on a doe tag and does not announce it online, did it really happen?

All this online posturing... If you really want to prove something to me - do this. It'll never be enough and then you get stuck trying to please people who's circumstances and influence couldn't be further from your own. It's like a whirling vortex of empty arguments.

The main takeaway, imo, is that we've lost the sheep, goats, moose pretty much and are working on losing the deer and antelope. Muleys are down, speed goats are down. Elk seem to be doing pretty well.

Can't the hunting public see that something aint quite right and make a move to preserve the herds? And all we're talking about is not shooting does. But that seems "over the top" to some.

People are pretty closed-minded & selfish if they can't pass on shooting a doe to preserve the species and further hunting opportunity.

Zaccav505

FNG
Then they should allow hunting, cannot have it both ways.
Lots of ranchers out near Buffalo WY that have their alfalfa and hay fields being completely obliterated by whitetail, but post "no hunting, don't ask signs. WGFD issue you basically as many doe tags as you want in that area because there are way too many of em. I suppose it is their right as landowners, but if my cattle feed was being decimated by wildlife I would be a little more open to the idea of hunters.

Laramie

WKR
It isn't different. The purpose is the same. Don't be under the illusion that because someone thinks their cause is better that it is.

Again, I don't give an f what someone does with their tag. It is theirs. They can treat it like any other piece of paper, or as an opportunity to go into the wild and hunt. I think that tossing a doe antelope tag "for the cause" is something guys do for themselves rather than the herd....or so that "people can go hunt and fill their licenses."

"Hey look at my stack of tags I'm throwing away. I'm such a cool cat."
I understand your sentiment.

From a non-resident perspective it is ridiculous to draw a western tag only to toss it in the name of conservation. Hunters shouldn't have to feel guilty about filling a tag that the WG&F issues because we are supposed to trust them to manage the wildlife.

Unfortunately they have done, and are doing, a crappy job with some species in some areas. They seem to be very slow to react to issues like fawn recruitment and declining population trends. Seeing the problem first hand is hard. I grew up watching these herds so it really hits home when I see them at less than 50% of what they were all while tags are being issued at will to make a buck.

I know many don't care for the way the message is being delivered but the cause really is good. I thank everyone who is trying. Shredding a tag is the only course of action for some.

npm352

WKR
I understand your sentiment.

From a non-resident perspective it is ridiculous to draw a western tag only to toss it in the name of conservation. Hunters shouldn't have to feel guilty about filling a tag that the WG&F issues because we are supposed to trust them to manage the wildlife.

Unfortunately they have done, and are doing, a crappy job with some species in some areas. They seem to be very slow to react to issues like fawn recruitment and declining population trends. Seeing the problem first hand is hard. I grew up watching these herds so it really hits home when I see them at less than 50% of what they were all while tags are being issued at will to make a buck.

I know many don't care for the way the message is being delivered but the cause really is good. I thank everyone who is trying. Shredding a tag is the only course of action for some.
I have no problem with someone tossing a tag. I have said that several times.

I do think it is interesting that often the tag tossers are much more judgemental of someone who draws a tag and hunts than those who question why someone would throw away a tag.

I think it is humorous that BuzzH can't go a year without showing a picture of a stack of tags with a comment about tossing most of them in the trash. I bet he can't go a full year without doing that. It attracts too much attention and he can't go without that very long.

Last edited:
Lots of ranchers out near Buffalo WY that have their alfalfa and hay fields being completely obliterated by whitetail, but post "no hunting, don't ask signs. WGFD issue you basically as many doe tags as you want in that area because there are way too many of em. I suppose it is their right as landowners, but if my cattle feed was being decimated by wildlife I would be a little more open to the idea of hunters.

Fewer of these than you think.

ClearCreek

Zaccav505

FNG
Fewer of these than you think.

ClearCreek
That's good to hear! my FIL killed a whitetail on the edge of public out there and it ran and died on private. The landowner was kind enough to let us go and get it. still lots of good folks around there!

Wags

WKR
Antelope today in Wyo is a far cry from what it was a few years back! If you've been around Wyo for long you know exactly what I'm talking about. There is a lot of different negative factors going on right now that aren't in antelope's favor. Hopefully the WG&F figures out that they are going to loose $ in the long run if they continue issuing gobs of doe tags and aren't figuring out strategies to improve fawn birth rates and success through year 1 of their lives.

I would agree. I've hunted my area of Wyoming for 30 years and while we still have goats around, the overall numbers are down for sure. I won't be filling any doe tags anytime soon. I've always reserved those for my kids when they turn 12 but we decided to pass altogether.

I hope that the numbers improve over the next few years and that my kids see a more healthy population in their lifetimes.