Wyoming Mule deer Region D

Jae7675

FNG
Hello fellow Rocksliders. Well, after 4 years of buying my daughter elk and mule deer points she drew a mule deer general tag in Region D this tear (no luck on the elk). After reading all of the winter kill information, I started to panic a bit and reached out to DNR about a tag return but no dice. I have elk hunted for 8 years in various states and she and I killed antelope in Wyoming DIY 2 years ago. I am struggling with whether I need to go with an outfitter or not because she is so looking forward to this hunt but these lower deer numbers have me nervous. We have the gear to go deep and she is a pretty good athlete so any strategy is in play for us. I guess I am looking for opinions on if I need to spend all that money, or if its still "somewhat" possible to get it done on our own. If it was my tag I wouldn't care, but you all know how much pressure we put on ourselves trying to put together a good hunt for our kids. Anyhow, rant over. Any opinions, help, advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have some awesome intel in many areas of Idaho for archery elk if an intel trade is of interest. :rolleyes:

Hello fellow Rocksliders. Well, after 4 years of buying my daughter elk and mule deer points she drew a mule deer general tag in Region D this tear (no luck on the elk). After reading all of the winter kill information, I started to panic a bit and reached out to DNR about a tag return but no dice. I have elk hunted for 8 years in various states and she and I killed antelope in Wyoming DIY 2 years ago. I am struggling with whether I need to go with an outfitter or not because she is so looking forward to this hunt but these lower deer numbers have me nervous. We have the gear to go deep and she is a pretty good athlete so any strategy is in play for us. I guess I am looking for opinions on if I need to spend all that money, or if its still "somewhat" possible to get it done on our own. If it was my tag I wouldn't care, but you all know how much pressure we put on ourselves trying to put together a good hunt for our kids. Anyhow, rant over. Any opinions, help, advice is greatly appreciated.

P.S. I have some awesome intel in many areas of Idaho for archery elk if an intel trade is of interest. :rolleyes:
The big bucks made it through the winter fine. You might have to hunt harder than usual but there will be nice deer in every area. It’ll get much more difficult in about 4 years.