Wyoming to Tennessee move, sort of.

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Lifelong WY resident looking at purchasing a place around the Paris, TN area but know nothing about TN other than the fishing in Kentucky lake looks good, scenery is beautiful and the winters are milder than Wyomings. We own multiple properties in WY so we would expect to be in WY through elk season then TN through the cold months. Does anyone with experience in this area of TN have any pros or cons to this idea.

Good catfish, eating and catching, some decent duck hunting. LBL has quota hunts for deer and turkey, good hunting. Typical small river/lake town but with more rednecks.

TN2shot07

WKR
I live about an hour from Paris, post above got it right. I wouldn’t hesitate on the area. The winters will be a dream compared to Wyoming, we’ve had a handful of days below freezing and not a hint of snow so far. Summers are hell though, especially if you’ve never spent time here. Heat and humidity is rough on new folks, we had some neighbors that came from Michigan and I don’t think they spent anytime outside in the summer except when they had to take care of the grass. (They moved back)

Not familiar with the area specifically, but would assume it will still be “cold” in the winter. Why not aim for somewhere further south?

OP
Lwilliams

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
Cold is relative I guess. Last winter before Christmas the mercury was sitting at -28 then add our wind which we have an abundance of makes it a but challenging to enjoy. We are no committed to Paris, just happened to drive through there on my way back from working in Virginia and liked the town as well as the proximity to Kentucky lake.

fatlander

WKR
Cold is relative I guess. Last winter before Christmas the mercury was sitting at -28 then add our wind which we have an abundance of makes it a but challenging to enjoy. We are no committed to Paris, just happened to drive through there on my way back from working in Virginia and liked the town as well as the proximity to Kentucky lake.

I think what folks were pointing out is high humidity 20s feels a whole lot colder than 20s out west. -28 is damn cold, but I’d take single digit low humidity over 20 degree high humidity most any day.

If you’re looking for somewhere to escape the winter months while still having plenty to do, I’d go further south. Winter in the Appalachian’s is still winter. Not a whole lot shaking. Florida with a center console would be my jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I have lived here in middle Tennessee about 2 hours southwest of Paris for 28 years. We get little cold snaps where it’ll be rough for a few days and the wet cold is awful BUT it’s not even remotely comparable to Wyoming winters. Here’s the next ten days here. Just southeast of Paris on the other side of the lake is one of the prettiest areas in the state. That section of the Duck from around Williamsport to Only is hard to beat for fishing in the summer.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.png
    IMG_1511.png
    522.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Agross

WKR
What he said. I think you would like Tennessee. Although I’m not familiar with the exact area you are talking about, definitely a lot milder than Wyoming in the winters.

Mojave

WKR
Native Wyomingite. Lived in Kentucky and Tennessee. The culture for me was really hard. They are massively different from us.

Weather was ok in the winter, they have zero idea on driving in snow. None of them have ever seen snow tires. Weather in the summer is really bad.

Food is ok, if you like fried food and BBQ. Their Mexican food sucks, they are big chain people. There are some mom and pop's but mostly they eat in chains.

The women in eastern Kentucky and eastern Tennessee are stunning.

They cut their grass as a full time sport. Especially in Kentucky. Could be 20 head of horses in a pasture and they will be out there mowing it. Mow around every fence post, mow the barrow ditch. Central and Eastern Kentucky looks like a big golf course.

Native Wyomingite. Lived in Kentucky and Tennessee. The culture for me was really hard. They are massively different from us.

Weather was ok in the winter, they have zero idea on driving in snow. None of them have ever seen snow tires. Weather in the summer is really bad.

Food is ok, if you like fried food and BBQ. Their Mexican food sucks, they are big chain people. There are some mom and pop's but mostly they eat in chains.

They cut their grass as a full time sport. Especially in Kentucky. Could be 20 head of horses in a pasture and they will be out there mowing it. Mow around every fence post, mow the barrow ditch. Central and Eastern Kentucky looks like a big golf course.
It’s not so much that they can’t drive in the snow, they’re not equipped to deal with snow. Municipalities don’t spend much on snow removal equipment for the one or two snows they might get. Why would these people spend extra money that they don’t have on snow tires for a one or two times a year event?

Hnthrdr

WKR

Kurts86

WKR
Winter in TN isn’t bad if it isn’t raining. Lots of days it can be 50-60 degrees if the sun is out.

Paris, TN isn’t much besides a small town gateway to Kentucky lake. There is some ok duck hunting there but the better stuff is in the Mississippi River bottoms.

Paris, TN is kind of out in the middle of nowhere if you need services beyond what is immediately local. It’s nearly 2 hours to Nashville, Memphis, Paducah, Clarksville. Whether that is what you want factor that in.

jayhawk

WKR

^^ this

OP
Lwilliams

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider

Can you expound on the cultural differences? When I went through there it seemed everyone was exceptionally nice.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The culture for me was really hard. They are massively different from us. This is what makes online forums so difficult at times. Those culture differences also have communication differences that make communication online difficult. Some folks are just wound way tight......culturally. City versus country makes a huge difference as well.

Food is ok, if you like fried food and BBQ. Nothing wrong with that.

Central and Eastern Kentucky looks like a big golf course.
Ya, but does that golf course like lawn come filled with ticks and chiggers? I love how green the humidity belt is.......but I can't deal with the pests or the humidity itself. We've considered relocating many times, but in the end I just can't see myself living east of CO. Would love a place with some acreage on a lake somewhere back there, but just can't commit to that. A few years ago I cut across a small section of grass in OK and my ankles were raw and scabbed for months because of the chiggers. I certainly can't do that full time.

Mojave

WKR
Can you expound on the cultural differences? When I went through there it seemed everyone was exceptionally nice.

It is going to depend on your tolerances for their culture. To me it is too different from the Western Culture that I grew up in.

I don't want to be called sir, my wife doesn't want to be called ma'am. Teachers try to force perceived southern versions of niceties on people like the sir and ma'am thing. Then get mad when my kids tell them they are not going to call them sir or ma'am. Mr. Smith. Ms. Smith. Miss Smith Mrs. Smith is their name. Not sir or ma'am. There are others like "young man" even though we are the same age, or I am older. Fake nice, bless your heart, everything food wise is sweet, even things that are not supposed to be sweet like BBQ.

The form of language they use is also not something I like. They have references for things that I am not used to or are not culturally something I know about. So this is annoying. Sports as a religion is also kind of insane.

Culturally it is a bridge too far for me, and my family. Upper Mid-West, Great Plains, Rocky Mountains, Desert South West, Alaska, hell even California are more my speed.

I am not intolerant of other cultures, I am writing this from Germany. I have lived over 15 years of my life all over the world (Spain, Germany, Italy, Australia, Greece, Turkey plus combat tours in Djibouti and Afghanistan), and lived in Maine, Florida, Tennesee, Kentucky, Texas, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Washington, Alaska and British Columbia.

It is going to depend on your tolerances for their culture. To me it is too different from the Western Culture that I grew up in.

I don't want to be called sir, my wife doesn't want to be called ma'am. Teachers try to force perceived southern versions of niceties on people like the sir and ma'am thing. Then get mad when my kids tell them they are not going to call them sir or ma'am. Mr. Smith. Ms. Smith. Miss Smith Mrs. Smith is their name. Not sir or ma'am. There are others like "young man" even though we are the same age, or I am older. Fake nice, bless your heart, everything food wise is sweet, even things that are not supposed to be sweet like BBQ.

The form of language they use is also not something I like. They have references for things that I am not used to or are not culturally something I know about. So this is annoying. Sports as a religion is also kind of insane.

Culturally it is a bridge too far for me, and my family. Upper Mid-West, Great Plains, Rocky Mountains, Desert South West, Alaska, hell even California are more my speed.

I am not intolerant of other cultures, I am writing this from Germany. I have lived over 15 years of my life all over the world (Spain, Germany, Italy, Australia, Greece, Turkey plus combat tours in Djibouti and Afghanistan), and lived in Maine, Florida, Tennesee, Kentucky, Texas, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, New Mexico, Arizona, Washington, Alaska and British Columbia.
Bless your heart

Please understand this is a joke

180ls1

WKR

Great advice.

The salads over there are something of wonder. "I'm going to be healthy and get a salad." Out comes a house salad that's 4,800 calories because of all the cheese, bacon and dressing covering the 3 leafs of lettuce.

Fake nice was good to point out as well. I remember before I moved to NY for a bit, I braced for the NY a-hole. However, I found people were more blunt/honest, not any less nice.