Wyoming Wilderness

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
As a non-resident, is it worth my time to get a tag in a mixed unit and hunt the non wilderness side?

There are a few units that fall in this category, but from what I can find, I would be waiting for the weather to drive the Elk out to me.
Has anybody done this type of hunt?
Any thoughts?

Feel free to PM for a private discussion of where I'm looking or your experiences.

-Dustin

gabenzeke

WKR
Randy newberg does it. But I've also been curious how feasible this is.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

ltlacorn

FNG
I did it with good success. Archery was good, stayed for opening day of rifle season and would not do rifle season or advise it. The unit I was in turned to a see of orange opening day of rifle season.

I've done it with good results, but it took us 3 days to find the elk and we worked harder than I've ever worked before to get to the elk. GREAT results in the end though!

wytx

WKR
Why would you think the elk are only in the wilderness? Elk populations are high right now in most of the state, don't worry about how much wilderness is in an area. In 29 years I have never hunted a wilderness area but have friends that do every year. They have no more, or less, success based on the wilderness than we do.
Opening day of rifle will find plenty of orange clad hunters near the roads.

It depends on the area but I don't hunt the wilderness around me hardly at all any more. I use to hunt it for deer quite a bit but there are way more horse guys ruining those spots now days. Plenty of areas with animals out of the wilderness stuff.

I hunted a unit with wilderness and hunted it during archery. Had several opportunities that I passed on and missed a nice bull. Also 3 others I know hunted it also all non-wilderness areas and we saw a fair number of elk. I'd not avoid going to those area again.