X9a Hunt

I would appreciate some advice on hunting the X9a area, This is on my bucket list to bag a deer and show my husband I can shoot a deer. Also my new freezer arrived yesterday! He also has a tag for this area.

Rob5589

WKR
Welcome! You guys need to get up there and scout. And the usuals of course, OnX, Google Earth, etc. Good luck!

amassi

WKR
Welcome
giphy.gif

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

BFR

WKR
Actually the deer in the eastern part of the state are California Mule deer, Blacktails are more coastal, the mountains in the middle of the state have both as well as crosses. They are as confused as the rest of California :devilish: :devilish: 😂
To try to answer the OP I will give you my honey holes from 12-13 yrs ago for what they’re worth now. East of the Hot Creek Fish Hatchery and Geological site are sage brush flats, there used to be a road connecting to Mammoth Airport. Best times were early morning and almost sunset as they feed and bed in the sage brush. There is a ridge system just past the hatchery that also holds deer in the numerous canyons. The last area was along the Sherwin Creek road and canyons to the south of the road.
Hopefully someone can chime in with more current info. Good luck and take some time to do some fishing too.