Yamaha or Honda ATV Recommendations

TheCougar

WKR
We had an older Yamaha quad that burned up in a fire this week. I need to replace it, and I’m either going to get a Honda or another Yamaha. Our Yamaha was simple and bulletproof. I would like to get some recommendations, particularly on Hondas. We will use it for work around our property and for hunting. I have kids that will be driving it, so it needs to have power steering or be light enough that my kids can manage it. Must be 4x4, and have enough power to get out two people in a pinch. I don’t care about top speed, performance, etc. just looking for complete reliability, drivability for my wife and kids, and capability/comfort for hunting - EFI and IRS is a plus.
For Yamaha, I am looking at a Grizzly or Kodiak with EPS, 550/660/700.

For Hondas, some type of Rubicon or Rincon. I know zero about the Hondas, other than overall reliability, and how they compare to a Yamaha. I am sure I’ll be fine with either one, but your recommendations are welcome.

I can’t speak for the newer models, but I have an 07 Rubi that all I’ve changed in 16 years, besides fluids, tires and the battery, is the starter (20 min job) and 1 wheel bearing. It runs like the day I got it.

Flip side, my father in law has a 99 Kodiak that he hasn’t done much more on.

I’d go Honda, but flip a coin.

BluMtn

WKR
I have owned several Yamaha Grizzlies and would highly recommend them. I would stay with the 700 if it were me. My son currently has my 02 660 and it has run trouble-free its entire life and no clue how many miles it has on it as the display is fogged over. My last 700 had about 5000 miles on it when I sold it and same thing about it. Trouble free. The Hondas we have around here have the same reputation as being trouble free. Either would be a great to have.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
450 Kodiak is a sweet little rig, plenty of power to haul 2 people, smaller, lighter chassis than the 700. 550 and 660 no longer made, only 450 and 700 both in Kodiak and Grizzly, both can be had with power steering.

Honda's with a manual shift foot shift or electric shift 5 speed transmissions are better for putting around at low RPMs and get better mileage (Rubicon, Foreman or Rancher so equipped). They are also quieter. The Rubicon with the dual clutch tranny supposedly had reported issues, not sure if they are worked out now. The Rincon has an auto tranny like a car (but only a 3-speed) and wasn't considered a good choice for the mountains (real low clearance too) when I lived in CO, but that was a while back.

I presently have a 2013 Yamaha 550 Grizzly....great bike, small, fairly light, great suspension (IRS), power steering, heated grips, soft very comfortable seat, lots of power (fuel injected) for pulling a trailer in muskeg and up steep mountain exploration roads, etc. Pushes a lot of snow too. Drawback is the auto tranny runs higher RPMS all the time....no real idling along with it and the muffler is louder than the Honda Rubicon and Rancher I had previously. The Yamaha racks are a bit more flimsy in my experience too.

And I never had any issues with the two Hondas or the present Yamaha Grizzly (all bought used). Well built machines!

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Honda's with a manual shift foot shift or electric shift 5 speed transmissions are better for putting around at low RPMs and get better mileage (Rubicon, Foreman or Rancher so equipped). They are also quieter. The Rubicon with the dual clutch tranny supposedly had reported issues, not sure if they are worked out now. The Rincon has an auto tranny like a car (but only a 3-speed) and wasn't considered a good choice for the mountains (real low clearance too) when I lived in CO, but that was a while back.

I presently have a 2013 Yamaha 550 Grizzly....great bike, small, fairly light, great suspension (IRS), power steering, heated grips, soft very comfortable seat, lots of power (fuel injected) for pulling a trailer in muskeg and up steep mountain exploration roads, etc. Pushes a lot of snow too. Drawback is the auto tranny runs higher RPMS all the time....no real idling along with it and the muffler is louder than the Honda Rubicon and Rancher I had previously. The Yamaha racks are a bit more flimsy in my experience too.

And I never had any issues with the two Hondas or the present Yamaha Grizzly (all bought used). Well built machines!
I’ll check out the 550

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ll check out the 550
I bought a suzuki king quad when I was duck hunting a lot. Gave it to my dad for a ranch quad. He abuses the crap out of it and it just won’t die. It’s a tier down in price. If you come across one I wouldn’t hesitate to buy. It’s a 700cc, so power is not an issue!

jolemons

WKR
I have a fleet of about 20 Honda Rubricons. Currently running IRS with PS and manual shifter. Heavy mountain use, technical terrain, mud, water, etc. Average machine does 8k miles per year and I turn them over after they hit about 20k miles. IMO, nothing is better than a Honda for what you're describing. I've tested Yamaha and CanAm because I want to stay currwnt on what else is out there, but keep coming back to Honda.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

180ls1

WKR
You can't go wrong with either, honda may have the edge. However, there is a lot of weighting on the condition and how the prior owner treated it.

That said. I have a Polaris now and you sure can't beat the ride quality but you can tell the reliability wont be the same.

I work for a ag consulting company and we run over 100 four wheels and we put 1500-2500 miles in about 6 months(yearly) mostly ag fields and gravel roads. We mostly run Yamaha grizzly or the kodiak 700. If i were to buy one personally right now I would go with a grizzly. The ride is more comfortable on the grizzly vs the kodiak which is more of a budget farm/ranch four wheeler.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I bought a suzuki king quad when I was duck hunting a lot. Gave it to my dad for a ranch quad. He abuses the crap out of it and it just won’t die. It’s a tier down in price. If you come across one I wouldn’t hesitate to buy. It’s a 700cc, so power is not an issue!
I’ve heard that they aren’t as reliable. My buddy had a Quad King at his place and I liked it. I don’t think he has had any issues with it.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’ve heard that they aren’t as reliable. My buddy had a Quad King at his place and I liked it. I don’t think he has had any issues with it.
With a sample size of 1 I can’t say one way or the other but this one has been great. If the price is the same, go Honda, if you find a deal on a Suzuki I wouldn’t be scared to give it a go!

BluMtn

WKR
The only thing I can say about the Suzuki's they are hard on batteries. My old ATV group that I led for about 10 years before we went to SxS's we had 3 King Quads and I had to put tenders on all the batteries. If you weren't running them all the time something would drain the batteries. Again, small sample but 100% of the ones riding with us.

I just sold my '07 Griz 700 EFI and never had to really do much to it aside from batteries and fluids. That thing earned its keep; from plowing my driveway/neighborhood sidewalks to packing out elk quarters. It pains me to look at what the new ones are selling for....

Broadhead

FNG
I'm in the same boat, Honda vs. Yamaha. Golly at the used market in CO though.. You'd think these things come gold plated for what someone wants for their 05 Grizzly. For me it will likely come down to what I can find a good used deal on. Went to Honda dealership in Denver on Tuesday. New Rubicon was $11,800 plus fees (approx. $1,400) plus tax (approx. $1,000). $14k+ is a tough pill to swallow for an atv. I haven't found many of either brand, Rubicon or Grizzly, on the used market unless they're 10+ years old.

180ls1

WKR
I'm in the same boat, Honda vs. Yamaha. Golly at the used market in CO though.. You'd think these things come gold plated for what someone wants for their 05 Grizzly. For me it will likely come down to what I can find a good used deal on. Went to Honda dealership in Denver on Tuesday. New Rubicon was $11,800 plus fees (approx. $1,400) plus tax (approx. $1,000). $14k+ is a tough pill to swallow for an atv. I haven't found many of either brand, Rubicon or Grizzly, on the used market unless they're 10+ years old.

The market is wild for sure. Here in SoCal people routinely spend upwards of $50K on side by sides then easily another $10K or more on accessories. Many sand cars are multiple six figures.