Yeti releases $400 cast iron skillet

It was said earlier but needs to be repeated:

All this bitching and moaning coming from a group of people who preach Swarovski, $$$$ hunting clothes, $$$$ packs, $$$ boots, trucks, guns, etc, etc, etc.

On a cost to use ratio?

Comical.

It was said earlier but needs to be repeated:

All this bitching and moaning coming from a group of people who preach Swarovski, $$$$ hunting clothes, $$$$ packs, $$$ boots, trucks, guns, etc, etc, etc.

On a cost to use ratio?

Comical.
What benefit does a $400 cast-iron pan give compared to a $40 one?

What benefit does a $400 cast-iron pan give compared to a $40 one?
Pretty much like everything else, fit and finish.

To a chef or person who loves cooking, they may opt for the finer product, no different than hunters and their equipment…the point I was making.

To a chef or person who loves cooking, they may opt for the finer product, no different than hunters and their equipment…the point I was making.
I love cooking and I have some chefs among my friends; none of us is buying this ridiculous thing.

Besides, carbon steel is the way to go if you want better finish quality than cast iron.

The comparison is a little out there though.

I agree that anyone deeply involved in a hobby is willing to spend more to feel they have a finer/the finest products to help them participate in said hobby. They also tend to research said products quite deeply to make sure it's worth their investment.

I don't think a bunch of chefs rushed out to buy the $400 magnacut kitchen knife put out by Sitka and The James Brand even though they may be willing to spend $400 on a knife. Especially since it is clear that the Yeti pan is just a Butter Pat Industries pan with a Yeti logo, I don't think a bunch of chefs would jump on this pan when there are proven, loved, and in one case identical options for less money.

Stargazer, Finex, Smithey, Butter Pat, Field Company...

Remember a while back when Forloh announced an $800 frame pack with little to no fit or field testing and some questionable photos showing it in use here on Rokslide? They got torn apart because they were new to the scene, hadn't proved themselves, claimed their pack was the best, and cost more than pretty much all their proven and loved competition. I'd have to guess the Yeti pan would get the same reception on a forum full of chefs.

Good grief, the point is that in all regards people choose items that are more expensive when lesser priced will get the job done as well. That’s the point I was making about hunting equipment choices as well.

Why do people buy a tikka and then throw new stocks on them? The gun itself shoots well enough, but the fit and finish is better with a new stock.

More power to yeti if they sell a bunch, it’s the American way. If it’s too much for you, don’t feel it’s worth it, fine, that’s your choice.

I’m sure there are lots of people who see how much money hunters spend on things and have the same conversations. I’m sure some of them are the marketers of hunting gear.

Last edited:
Good grief, the point is that in all regards people choose items that are more expensive when lesser priced will get the job done as well. That’s the point I was making about hunting equipment choices as well.

Why do people buy a tikka and then throw new stocks on them? The gun itself shoots well enough, but the fit and finish is better with a new stock.

More power to yeti if they sell a bunch, it’s the American way. If it’s too much for you, don’t feel it’s worth it, fine, that’s your choice.

I’m sure there are lots of people who see how much money hunters spend on things and have the same conversations. I’m sure some of them are the marketers of hunting gear.

Getting the job done "as well" is much more subjective with things like hunting gear and rifle stocks than with skillets.

You bought the Yeti pan, didn't you?

Lodges are nice but they need the rough edges taken down and the cooking surface isn't real smooth. 20-30 minutes will smooth them right out.
I like the rough surface. Gives plenty of space to build a nice hard smooth carbon base…

For those that know about Swapper Day a 4 day event in Johnstown Oh, there’s a vendor set up who sells second hand cast iron, fair prices. I’d say he’s has about 500 pieces on display.

I’ll ask about the yeti next time…

Two guys I work with just bought $300 soft Yeti coolers. For their lunch. They were telling me how awesome they are. I only asked if you could have sex with it. Then, maybe it would be worth $300.

Two guys I work with just bought $300 soft Yeti coolers. For their lunch. They were telling me how awesome they are. I only asked if you could have sex with it. Then, maybe it would be worth $300.
Reminds me of the old joke... Street pro says to potential John: "I'll do anything for $300."

Potential John says: "Paint my house!"

Reminds me of the old joke... Street pro says to potential John: "I'll do anything for $300."

Potential John says: "Paint my house!"
Another good one. Wife says: "How about you tie me up and then you can do anything you want" Husband: "Anything?" Next scene is her tied up in bed and he goes fishing.

There’s something about the internet that makes people want to bitch And mock. Including me. I make $4500 dollar guitars. You can get a guitar that will play the same songs for $200. Whatever suits you.

There’s something about the internet that makes people want to bitch And mock. Including me. I make $4500 dollar guitars. You can get a guitar that will play the same songs for $200. Whatever suits you.
Agree.

I don't play but I know instruments can get crazy expensive real quick. If someone told me they paid $4500 for a guitar or another instrument, or more, I wouldn't be surprised. BUT $400 for cast iron made me go to the website to verify this was legit.

TBO, my first thought, this was an old April 1 joke thread.

Back