You kayak fishermen. Landing net?

boom

WKR
I almost tipped my boat yesterday reaching way out there for a bass. Seconds before that I struggled to even reach the net since I kept it at the nose of the boat. I bought a cheap short handled net. One used by river trout fisherpeople.

I needed a longer handle. I like my net. It’s rubber fabric won’t snag hooks bad at all. It was only $14.
so I got to work. $22 worth of stuff from the hardware store, boom! I truly hope it floats :D.

I had to trim and sand down the handle to fit. JBweld, spray-foam - so it won’t fill with water. (Hate to transport any invasive tiger mussels). Still waiting for the waterproof fishing rod wrap to come in the mail. In the end, I could have probably bought a different net for the same money, but this was kinda fun (to modify)

2A004CE9-015E-40CF-B40D-D3B979DE8B22.jpeg

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I use that same net minus the handle mod. I’ve been very happy with it

OP
B

boom

WKR
I use that same net minus the handle mod. I’ve been very happy with it
The net is pretty bad ass. I’m shocked it’s so affordable. The flat bottom is very fish friendly.

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
And it holds a big fish. I’ve had mine for at least 5 years and it’s still in good shape. I use it on a paddle board and kayak with no problem

Lingling

FNG
Nets are a mess in a kayak. Have you tried a lip gripper? Leave a little more line on your rod so you can get them close with your rod nearing vertical. Try not to break the surface of the water with the fish, keep it a couple of inches under. If it runs you can just lower your rod.

Lingling

FNG
I'm in se alaska and fish extensively out of kayaks. For landing I carry a lip gripper, a kage which is a Hawaiian spear with a sharpened all thread tip, and a harpoon. Lip gripper gets at least 95 percent of them.

OP
B

boom

WKR
I'm in se alaska and fish extensively out of kayaks. For landing I carry a lip gripper, a kage which is a Hawaiian spear with a sharpened all thread tip, and a harpoon. Lip gripper gets at least 95 percent of them.
I’ve often wondered what that tool was called. I’ll buy one when I get into the ocean after Lings (maybe not - if I have to measure the fish first :)). Right now, I’m all catch and release. The net helps.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
I have a lip gripper, but I also carry that exact net in my yak. Lost too many fish at the side of the yak trying to get ahold with the gripper, so I usually land with the net them grab them with the gripper for lure removal, handling, etc.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

boom

WKR
All dolled up. Now I just need this smoke to diminish so I can get out on the water.

net Project complete.

4A6A5A76-02E2-4E05-A138-21777AB6435B.jpeg

dtrkyman

WKR
I have seen guys put pipe insulation around the hoop, will float for sure and when wade fishing you can keep the net between your legs and not worry about the hoop sinking!

OP
B

boom

WKR
i finally netted a bass the other day with my net. it wasn't huge and could have easily horsed it onto the kayak, but it was fun netting it.

I'm anxiously waiting for Mr. Big to show up and need netting.

FWoodKyle

FNG
I use the Foreverlast net. I like it because it floats if you drop it in the water.