You might rethink booking with Mark Romo out of Dillingham

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
If anyone is considering a self-guided DIY Alaskan moose hunt out of Dillingham with Mark Romo, you might want to rethink your options before sending him a deposit. Mark has lost his big game guide license, he has lost his big game transport license, and most importantly, he lost his privilege to operator as an air taxi inside any of Alaska's parks (including his home Wood Tik-Chick area and Togiak areas).

MARK A. ROMO Profession: GUIDE-OUTFITTER Lic. No.: GUIR1292Copies of disciplinary actions on professional licenses are available online for certain programs at https://www.commerce.alaska.gov/cbp/main/Search/Professional. Uploading this information to our web site may take up to 60 days from the date of the license action.Page 2 of 15STATE OF ALASKADEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE, COMMUNITY, AND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENTDIVISION OF CORPORATIONS, BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONAL LICENSINGDISCIPLINARY ACTION REPORTDisciplinary actions adopted from 01/01/2023 through 03/31/2023Board Action: LICENSE SURRENDER Case No.:2020-001017 Action Date: 03/29/2023Reason for Action: On March 29, 2023, the Big Game Commercial Services Board adopted a Surrender of License with conditions affecting the license of Mark Romo, lic. no. GUIR1292, Dillingham, AK. (Violation of licensing regulations / Surrender of License)

WMR

FNG
Saddened and surprised to hear this. I’ve stayed there and flown with Mark a few times. He and his family seemed like great people to me. Not knowing details, I think I’ll reserve judgement and continue to wish them well.

Reactions: KJH

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Unfortunate situation, I’ve flown with him 3 times for different types of trips and he was always great. Reliable, easy to deal with and his prices were better than other local pilots.

I’m not speaking to the legal situation as I have no knowledge of that but I’ve had nothing g but good experiences with him personally.

I puked in his plane once and he didn’t even give me shit.

KJH

WKR
Nothing but good experiences with Mark. I don't know any details, so I'll also withhold judgement.

Sadler

WKR
I just talked to Mark. He’s still operating like normal. This is a BS post created by a disgruntled individual.

OP
alaska_bou

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I just talked to Mark. He’s still operating like normal. This is a BS post created by a disgruntled individual.
Mark wants you to believe he is "still operating like normal," because he wants your money. Read what I attached, or what Htm84 attached. Better yet, pick up the phone and call the proper channels in Dillingham or with the state, which is where I got this information, then come back and say this is a BS post.

Last edited:

Sadler

WKR
Mark wants you to believe he is "still operating like normal," because he wants your money. Read what I attached, or what Htm84 attached. Better yet, pick up the phone and call the proper channels in Dillingham or with the state, which is where I got this information, then come back and say this is a BS post.
I owe you an apology sir. I didn’t do my due diligence and look into the links you posted and called mark directly. @Htm84 thank you for posting that screen shot.

OP
alaska_bou

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I owe you an apology sir. I didn’t do my due diligence and look into the links you posted and called mark directly. @Htm84 thank you for posting that screen shot.

No worries. From what I understand, Mark is still a registered air taxi through the FAA, but if he can no longer operate inside the state park areas, he will likely have to outsource his hunters to other pilots or other outfitters who can legally operate in those areas. I heard from another outfitter that Mark had to do so last season after this has hit the fan.

Timber84

FNG
I can confirm this. He had to hire a pilot from Iliamna last year because he could no longer fly into the park to drop his hunters. I know he has a less-than-favorable relationship with most of that areas outfitters, and none were willing to help take his clients that I am aware of.