Your First Shot on a Cold Bore is the most important.

Article 4

WKR
There was a pretty comprehensive study sponsored in 2023 by some of the folks here and UM talking about cold and hot bore performance and accuracy...the study developed good conclusions supported by good evidence.

I took part in a similar study about 10 years ago comparing Carbon and Steel bbl POI shifts under high strings of fire while comparing overall bore temps. We had some similar and some different outcomes, probably due to the baseline characteristics of the studies and barrels being different (although I don't remember what barrels they used so maybe carbon was in that study) regardless....

I starting thinking....We all love shooting tight groups. We all love shooting as far as we can. Those two things rarely happen when hunting Big Game. When hunting big game, your first shot is almost always going to be on a cold bore. Do folks practice that specifically?

Questions:
Do you practice specific cold bore shots on the range?
Do you practice them under mental pressure?
Do you practice cold bore at more ranges than just 100 yards?
Do you practice them under physical demand? Do some running in place, push ups, jumping jacks and get your heart up?
Do you practice them in various shooting positions with various supported rests?

I have challenged myself to get better specifically with cold bore hunting scenario shots. Sometimes I do it well (pic attached), sometimes not.

Anyone doing anything like this?

Attachments

• IMG_1825.jpeg
    IMG_1825.jpeg
    183.1 KB · Views: 137

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
So your findings were such that you believe there is a benefit to such practice? Can you share your findings a little more specifcally? Would be interested to see what you found.

I don't do this type of practice as the rifles I use shoot to the same point of impact regardless of temperature.

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR

Seems relevant
Didnt see that. Pretty cool - is that last year? Maybe time for another

USMC-40

WKR
I think a ‘clean bore’ shot is more significant than a ‘cold bore’ shot. A lot of the historical data talking about a cold bore shot is actually a clean cold bore resulting in a more dramatic shift than simply a cold bore.

The Marine Corps finally changed its bore cleaning regimen on the M40 series after significant evidence showed that the cleaning affected the cold bore zero more than the cold bore.

Qholum37

Lil-Rokslider
I also never hunt with a clean bore. Usually try and get at least a few shots down the tube after cleaning and before heading out on a trip. I have a 100 yard range at my house and every once in a while I will grab a rifle and go take a single shot with it to see what it does just to see. I haven’t done anything to get my heart rate up before the shot but that would be a good exercise to see how I do. Might do that next time actually.

I used to occasionally try to get my heart rate up before shooting. Now I almost always do if I'm not sighting in or making a dope card.

I can't shoot at my place, but I do try to occasionally go and shoot just one group. (3-4 shots)

OP
Article 4

Article 4

WKR
I think a ‘clean bore’ shot is more significant than a ‘cold bore’ shot. A lot of the historical data talking about a cold bore shot is actually a clean cold bore resulting in a more dramatic shift than simply a cold bore.

The Marine Corps finally changed its bore cleaning regimen on the M40 series after significant evidence showed that the cleaning affected the cold bore zero more than the cold bore.
They are both significant. Almost every single hunting contour barrel experienced POI shift as heat increases. Knowing fouled and cold performance is critical

I always shoot with a fouled barrel when hunting. I won’t hunt without fouling it first. Period.

Once fouled, the barrel will always be cold for any first shot while hunting.

A buddy and I try to do something similar every other week throughout the summer. I have 2 targets set up about 1/2 mile behind my house; one at roughly 550 and one at roughly 680.
We load our packs to roughly 30lbs and take off from my house on foot. It’s all uphill and we make sure to push it.
Once we’re within 50 yards of the shooting area one of us will go ahead and pick a spot to shoot from and set up a spotter real quick. We try to pick a different spot every time so that the terrain you’re setting up in is slightly different, be it under a tree, or on uneven ground.
Once guy #1 gets into position, guy #2 continues up the hill at hunting speed. Not still hunting speed, but moving through deer country speed. When guy #2 has seen the target, guy #1 starts the stop watch. Obviously the quality of the shot is vastly more important than speed, but we like to get as efficient as we can at throwing our pack off, setting the rifle up, ranging the target and dialing the scope.

We take turns doing this until each of us has fired 5 rounds. We do it in the evening and be sure to put our rifles in the shade of a tree after each shot. The barrels seem to be back to ambient temperature by the time it’s your turn to shoot again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Once a rifle is dialed in my first shot of the day is at 300-600 depending on which range I'm at.
I alternate between bench and field set ups depending on what I'm doing that day and how much time I have.
I do take a few cold bore shots after getting the heart rate up with some HIIT related calisthenics.
I also do a fair amount of 50-200 yard rimfire after getting the heart rate elevated.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I will take a hunting rifle, not a specific one, every trip to the range. Even if I'm really just going to shoot pistol.

I will always take 1-2 shots with that rifle at any given target at any given distance. Depends on the day.

I'm not sure I believe it's a "cold bore" issue so much as a "cold shooter" issue.

Rich M

WKR
Yup. Some of you guys shoot a long long ways, so you should know where your shots land.

The CB challenge put this in a good light - if I remember correctly, most guys didn't advance to the second phase BUT BUT BUT they still seem to kill game. Hmmm.