Your Workout Attitude?

I'm 48. I am in pretty good shape all the time. My family is blessed with great metabolism. My brother is 49 and he pours down the carbs and fat to try to gain weight for hunting season. I can't run because my knees won't tolerate it. I don't lift weights because that sucks. All I need to do is put miles on my legs with a pack on. I love to hit my local wilderness on the weekends and bomb up and down a 3 hr round trip, but that takes away a lot of family time. Last year I finally succumbed to the reality that I can't stand the treadmill thing, and I just wont do it. I found a public golf course that is on my way home that has a 3 mile loop around it with just a mild amount of up and down. As soon as the days get long enough, I will be back there every night after work with my boots and a pack with about 40#. If I do that, that is all I ever need to do.

Going to be the six oh this year......though in my mind I still feel like 40....until I look in the mirror.

I try to do 3-4 intense cardio workouts a week where I get my heart rate up to right below max. I do more rep stuff with weights...not so heavy anymore. I also do rotator cuff stuff with pulleys and stretching which I think have helped me avoid the shoulder injuries most of my friends of the same age have had.

I hate to admit it as I've always been a hard charger but now I devote a little more time to injury avoidance.

I focus a lot more on stretching and flexibility which I try to do multiple times a day now [for a couple minutes type thing]..I have to or I get so stiff I feel like I'm 80. I stretch and warm up before I shoot [my bows] and before weight workouts to prevent injuries. I really listen to my body....if something is acting up....I lay off.

I am lucky to have some good hills within 5 minutes and hit those pretty hard...sometimes with a pack on. My max pack workout now is a 40# bag of Salt[ Hat tip to Matt B for that one- perfect size] I used to do 60,70,80# and I now feel the wear and tear vs benefit is a bad idea.

Edit; If I was giving my 20 year old self advice it would be;
Limit the heavy stuff but go hard on the cardio. 80# packs and 300# bench presses play hell on your joints. You can get the same benefit going lighter. Pay attention to your back....core exercises are a must. Stretch a lot...it prevents injury

Last edited:
I'm 53 and due to a recent back injury requiring surgery, I'm much more careful, I regularly do stretching, and I still lift, but no longer heavy. I'm plenty strong enough. Cardio is where it's at for me, it tracks very closely how I feel in the mountains. I run real steps once or twice a week, I do interval training on the stair machine and most importantly I do a 2-3 hour hike with 45# in hilly terrain. I used to do 85#, but feel that may have contributed to my injury so I backed down to 45# which I feel is sustainable. If I could only do one exercise it would be the weekend hike with 45#. I can't say I love my workouts, but no way in heck would I skip them. Strength has never been an issue, but cardio has, so that gets my primary focus.

Last edited:
Biking and a pair of 30lb dumbells. Alternating between weights and bike. 3-4 times/wk.
50 y/o. Bump up the intensity closer to hunting season.

It gets old sometimes. Dont just do it for hunting. Hope to be around a while.

Just turned 31 a while back. Been a gym rat of sorts since I was about 15. Spent my teens through mid20s trying to be Mr. Olympia. Spent the last of my 20s dabbling in powerlifting. Unfortunately, my fitness got derailed a bit over the last couple of years due to recurring low back injuries which resulted more from taking a desk job than it did powerlifting. I know it's the trendy thing now, but I've really bought into the "train to hunt" thing and I'm working hard on getting mountain fit. I lift 3-4 days a week using Wendler's 5/3/1 which consists of the basics, squat, bench, deads, overhead press, rows, chins, dips, etc. But i've also made a point to focus more on injury prevention now that I'm not 20 years old anymore. I do daily and sometimes twice daily mobility and core work which has helped my back issues immensely. I'm currently down to 235 from 260 not that long ago. Planning on getting down to 200-210 or so. On my "off days" I hike with a weighted pack or go on long mountain bike rides to increase cardio and endurance. Fitness is part of my lifestyle.

There was a time where real workouts were a part of my life, but I haven't been in a gym in several years now. I spend too much time indoors as it is, and going to the gym was just a drag so I stopped. Year round, there is always something else I would rather be doing than spending time in a gym. Hunting, hiking, fishing, crabbing, etc. I do have a simple workout of push-ups and pull-ups I do in my garage on regular basis, but prefer to get my cardio outdoors.

Admittedly I take it easy during the winter months once bird season is over (Jan - Mar) and use that time to go crabbing and get caught up around the house. I do have some trail cameras up year round, and will check those on my days off whenever snow permits to get some hiking in with my gear as I look for squirrels and rabbits to chase. I also enjoy cutting and splitting wood, and will to fill up my truck bed anytime I head to the woods.

April - May is spent scouting/hunting for spring bear and turkey. June - August scouting for elk, where I'll get lots of hiking miles in. By the time September rolls around I feel ready for the season. Oct - December I spend just about every spare moment hunting birds.

When it comes to attitude, I'm just a lot happier leaving the gym behind.

New toy with my heart rate monitor........pissed off at this snow as all the sheds are buried deep! off to the gym for 60 minutes of torture on the stairclimber 330 floors and a lot of sweat...........time for a glass of wine now

LOL, aren't we all getting to that "hating snow stage" -- We have over 4' on the ground here & much more on the way. It's going to take a bit more than a glass of wine to tolerate it! (grin) Great job on your workouts!

Keep up the workouts guys, they'll pay off come Sept! (grin) I've worked out over 45 years now & not at anytime can I recall having to be concerned with lugging big muscles up & down the mountain. It's quite the opposite! Without those muscles being strong enough to pack my sorry but around those mountains & then to require double duty from them packing out my elk with few complaints I'm damn sure happy they were there to fall back on! Get in shape & stay in shape you'll enjoy life that much more!

ElkNut1

LOL, aren't we all getting to that "hating snow stage" -- We have over 4' on the ground here & much more on the way. It's going to take a bit more than a glass of wine to tolerate it! (grin) Great job on your workouts!

Keep up the workouts guys, they'll pay off come Sept! (grin) I've worked out over 45 years now & not at anytime can I recall having to be concerned with lugging big muscles up & down the mountain. It's quite the opposite! Without those muscles being strong enough to pack my sorry but around those mountains & then to require double duty from them packing out my elk with few complaints I'm damn sure happy they were there to fall back on! Get in shape & stay in shape you'll enjoy life that much more!

ElkNut1
Absolutely. I don't care what anyone says, strength is never a weakness.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

agreed that strength is a good thing, as is aerobic capacity- far too many people focus on one or the other; balance, like in most things, is key imo

I've always looked at Edgar Rice Burrough's fictional Tarzan as someone who embodies strength, speed and endurance- wrestle a croc, run 20 miles to the next village, climb a tall tree- you get the idea :D

I'm 50 and a flat lander 6'5" probably 255 ish right now ? I used to work out pretty regulary, police academy, SWAT team, K9 regular roadside grappeling matches :rolleyes: I let myself go in my late 30's early 40's after a 70% total disability back injury cut short that part of my career. I got up to 385 and hated it. At about 45 I had enough, lost 100 pounds through diet, joined the gym lost another 50 or so and got down to 10% bodyfat. I did it for me, because I wanted to be able to hunt and take my boys hunting. I have stayed with it and although I did take a couple months off, first real break in 5 years, I am back to it now. I do cardio on the treadmill, intervals with incline and lift several times a week. I am planning on hitting some local trails with my pack and slowly adding some weight working up to 50 then taking some trips out to Virginia and West Virginia. I want to do the Maryland section of the AT, 41 miles over a few days to "shake out some gear". It's good for me to have goals to focus on. My first western trip will be Colorado in September of '18.

I work out 5 days a week. I've been doing Crossfit for the last few years for my main workouts then when it is nice out I'll do some weighted pack training. I've worked out my whole life and I enjoy it. I make excuses so that I can get to the gym not avoid going. Motivation and getting there aren't an issue for me.

Prior to doing Crossfit I did similar type circuit training on my own. I also ride a mountain bike as time allows.

Strength isn't a big issue for me, cardio and endurance are much harder for me so I try to focus more on that. I really don't need to get any stronger.

I'm 46 and would consider myself to be in pretty good shape.

Yes, when referring to working out most here are referring to Full Body workouts, not just referring to lifting weights alone. They are building both endurance & strength. It's a great recipe for the elk woods! At the end of the day use what works for your situation!

Not everyone is a Runner & Gunner of elk, some treestand hunt & sit at ambush spots, that certainly can require less training to a degree. For me I like knowing I can hunt 5-10 miles everyday for 20 straight days, I train for that every year, yes this includes more than pushing & lifting iron! (grin) Good luck guys!

ElkNut1

LOL, aren't we all getting to that "hating snow stage" -- We have over 4' on the ground here & much more on the way.

Sure wish you could send some our way, we're dry as a bone. But that's the usual for us on the Front Range. We haven't had even average snowfall since '06/'07. But it has been in the 60's the last few days, which is nice.

I'm 32. I hate going to gym. It's crowded and the nearest one is 30 minuted drive from my house. I try to go for the more of the "train like you fight" type approach. I incorporate workouts into other activities. When I shoot my bow, I do 20 pushups and 50 crunches in between each 5 arrow session. I try to shoot 50 arrows total, so that gives me 200 pushups and 500 crunches. I do lunges back and forth to the target while retrieving arrows, usually wearing my pack with 40-50lbs in it. For cardio, I will shoot 5 arrows and then jog to the top of my driveway and then sprint back (my driveway is 250 yds long), then try to make accurate shots while breathing heavy. I will do this 8-10 times. I do long distance runs 2-3 days a week (2-4 miles). I also go hiking 2-3 times a month. I locate areas on public hunting land and national forest near my house and plan a route that includes very few trails and maximum elevation gain. I try to avoid trail walking because that does not simulate actual hunting conditions. I wear my pack, dress in the clothing that I would hunt in and take off. I can also work on my navigation skills while doing this. Most of the hikes are short (2-3 miles), but I've got plans to do a long weekend on the AT in a month. Probably cover 30 miles. Once the weather warms up, I will get in the pool and start doing some pool exercises. Running is great cardio, but wears on the joints, throwing some pool workouts in saves my knees and back but still gets my cardio. I acquired a nice road bike from my father-in-law. It had been gathering dust in his garage so I took it. Did a 15 mile ride last week. Planning on a 20 miler in two weeks that has some pretty steep inclines. Couple of the docs that I work with are doing a 125 mile ride in June so I may join them. By varying my workouts and incorporating them into other things, it feels less like working out and makes it more enjoyable to me.

I started trying to get into "elk hunting shape" in January 2016. Since then I have went from 190lbs down to 167lbs. I have given up sodas, I eat healthier, I sleep better. I was on blood pressure medicine, I was taking 20mg of Lisinopril every day and my BP was still high. Now, I take 5 mgs every other day and may BP stays within normal range. My wife does not hunt but she participates in some of activities that I do and eats the same diet that I do. She has lost 15 lbs in the last 6 months and is very happy.

I think 'Weights' are an essential part of training. Its probably worth clarifying, the weight training i see the studs in the mountains doing is squat racks, bench,military, pullup reps...that kind of full body thing. You can do body weight stuff but I feel I get a little extra from doing squats with weights, YMMV.

I don't think doing a bicep....or tricep DAY.....like the body builders are doing is what we want.

30 years old and have never been able to keep a steady workout routine. Would always go for about a month then just get busy and stop. Ive been training since September now for a co bow hunt this fall and ive gotten into a much better habit than ever before. Now i hate when i dont workout. Im a small guy at 511 150 so im trying to add some muscle mass in my legs, upper back, and core by lifting 3 days week and mix in 2 cardio days most weeks. Will probably transition to more cardio and endurance as it gets closer to septmeber. Planning on doing more pack workouts and hikes once it gets warmer but for now I'm stuck in my basement.

I don't think doing a bicep....or tricep DAY.....like the body builders are doing is what we want.

You're right........I combine biceps and triceps with shoulders.......it's my arms and shoulders day.;)

I do legs and core one day, chest and back the next, then arms and shoulders the third day.

You're right........I combine biceps and triceps with shoulders.......it's my arms and shoulders day.;)

I do legs and core one day, chest and back the next, then arms and shoulders the third day.

I do mine somewhat similar, but I base my supporting lifts off of which muscles are used for my core lift. Bench day - chest and triceps, Squat day - Legs, OH press day - shoulders, Deadlift day - back. Biceps get thrown in on either shoulder day or back day. You end up using them in a lot of back and shoulder work anyhow. That schedule usually leaves me a day to either catch up on any lifts I missed, or do some more focused cardio. I try and keep the pace of my workouts up to keep my heartrate in a light cardio range, aside from core lifts, although I don't necessarily dawdle there either.

Back