Zeiss durability vs NF, Trijicon?

croben

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a NF ATACR and Eotech Vudu in either a backpack or a rack in the back of my rig all the time for the last three years. I’ve had zero issues with either one. I have been extremely impressed with their durability and ability to hold zero. I wouldn’t hesitate to run either on my hunting rifle.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Thanks for the info!

Yes sir.

Interesting that someone had thought about this 40-ish years ago, but not today—kind of crazy.

The craziest part of that is that in the M24 trials for the army, it was parachuting that highlighted the issue. All the companies said they could not make a scope that would hold zero from the impact on a lowering line- except Leupold. What they came up with was the Ultra M3A 10x- to this day a very solid, and reliable scope.

Military/LEO snipers I'm sure would prefer to have something mounted to their rifle that had passed muster with a big check mark. Obviously hunters too, but the "impact" of a scope losing zero could have much greater ramifications for the above job titles.

They would, however there is as much ignorance, as well as brand loyalty among that group as there are with hunters.

Last edited:
Interesting that someone had thought about this 40-ish years ago, but not today—kind of crazy. Military/LEO snipers I'm sure would prefer to have something mounted to their rifle that had passed muster with a big check mark. Obviously hunters too, but the "impact" of a scope losing zero could have much greater ramifications for the above job titles.
I imagine it'd be nice to have for them but I doubt many of them even recognize the problem. As Form said, they shoot about 30-40 rounds every 3 months for training using inconsistent lots of ammo.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I imagine it'd be nice to have for them but I doubt many of them even recognize the problem. As Form said, they shoot about 30-40 rounds every 3 months for training using inconsistent lots of ammo.

Simply, I disagree.

Deywalker

FNG
With all the sophisticating testing apparatus available for manufacturers, you would think it wouldn't be overly difficult for a group of engineers to come up with something that was repeatable and valid.
It actually has been done before. You'd never guess who they collaborated with.

Macintosh

WKR
Does that contraption test reticle zero shift, or does that only check function after impact?

I suppose in some ways, all of it…except the part about it’d be nice for Mil/Leo snipers to have kit that passes muster. (Of course many do, and that’s always good.)
The second part about how much they shoot isn't really up for debate. I guess maybe @Formidilosus has info on the inconsistent lot number of the ammo but the round count they shoot for practice and the schedule they're on isn't debatable.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been running a Zeiss S3 for the past 2 months. 1 bear hunt and 3 matches with it. I'm pretty rough on stuff and I've had no zero shift taking it all over the place.

I shot an NRL hunter this week and the first day of shooting I took my gun out of the back, threw it on the bipod and set it next to my truck slightly under it to hold off the rain. I have those stupid electric steps you always see d bags with (bought my truck from a grandma) When you open the door they extend. Maybe you see where I'm going with this...

The step smashed into the bell of the scope and sat there with pressure on it trying to go down for about 2 minutes before I realized what I did. Scope still held zero with no issues.

Admittedly... I'm running @Formidilosus approved UM rings that we manufacture so I know the scope wouldn't slip. But being hit like that with force and held I was questioning it. But it still had no issues and no shift.

Ken

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
I've been running a Zeiss S3 for the past 2 months. 1 bear hunt and 3 matches with it. I'm pretty rough on stuff and I've had no zero shift taking it all over the place.

I shot an NRL hunter this week and the first day of shooting I took my gun out of the back, threw it on the bipod and set it next to my truck slightly under it to hold off the rain. I have those stupid electric steps you always see d bags with (bought my truck from a grandma) When you open the door they extend. Maybe you see where I'm going with this...

The step smashed into the bell of the scope and sat there with pressure on it trying to go down for about 2 minutes before I realized what I did. Scope still held zero with no issues.

Admittedly... I'm running @Formidilosus approved UM rings that we manufacture so I know the scope wouldn't slip. But being hit like that with force and held I was questioning it. But it still had no issues and no shift.

Ken

The S3 I am doing the Eval on is doing very well, including the drop portion. The rest of the Zeiss line…. Ehh.

The S3 I am doing the Eval on is doing very well, including the drop portion. The rest of the Zeiss line…. Ehh.
EO has had "like new demos" of the S3 6-36 at $1800 for months while never running out of stock. So they're just cutting the seals and selling them that way to get around MAP. Unfortunately not a lot of people would sign up for a 39oz scope on a hunting rifle.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
The second part about how much they shoot isn't really up for debate. I guess maybe @Formidilosus has info on the inconsistent lot number of the ammo but the round count they shoot for practice and the schedule they're on isn't debatable.

Ok. Let’s not debate then.

To the primary topic, what’s testing revealed about all these options? What OP cares about.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
EO has had "like new demos" of the S3 6-36 at $1800 for months while never running out of stock. So they're just cutting the seals and selling them that way to get around MAP. Unfortunately not a lot of people would sign up for a 39oz scope on a hunting rifle.

No, and the reticle is one of the most useless on low power currently offered. Basically not visible below 10-12x. I leave the one I am using on 10x and no lower because of it.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
I think that NF durability will stand out as better is at a two way range. Either is an excellent scope for casual shooting

Schmo

WKR
Classified Approved
So, to those of you who say the drop tests are not a big enough sample. I understand sample sizes. However, if a certain scope passes the drop test, it is far more likely that that will be how it typically is for that scope model, than to say that it was a fluke and that was just a good one off. If you’re making a poorly designed scope, your chances are very minuscule that a sample will pass being dropped.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
So, to those of you who say the drop tests are not a big enough sample. I understand sample sizes. However, if a certain scope passes the drop test, it is far more likely that that will be how it typically is for that scope model, than to say that it was a fluke and that was just a good one off. If you’re making a poorly designed scope, your chances are very minuscule that a sample will pass being dropped.

What if a Nightforce scope failed? Folks have reported it. How many scopes have even been drop tested?

The tests are a data point. I wouldn’t discount them, but it’s not proof positive either.