Zeiss LRP s3 4-25x50 to NF ATACR 4-16x42

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
anyone have side by side experience with the two? I have the LRP s3 and like it fine but it's prob more magnification than I need hunting. I do like to zoom in more but limiting my field of view is a problem on follow up shots. I also want to go down in bulk/profile. Low profile turrets and capped windage are desires too so I'm thinking of replacing it with a NF ATACR 4-16x42.

I took a tumble during a cow elk pursuit with my rifle in hand and now putting more value on durability - the scope was fine but I know NF wins there. Also want a bit easier eye box for the contorted positions I seem to end up in. The NF is a bit lighter which is nice too and both are 34mm tubes so I can switch scopes easily (although i may need low profile vs med going from 50mm to 42mm) and I think the 4-16x may be just fine for my use.

Anyone go down in max magnification and regret it? I think I want to stay in the 14-18x range because I do shoot 600+ often at the range and enjoy higher mag there. I just don't want to worry about losing zero again.

Last edited:
Both great scopes made in the same factory in Japan. Sounds like the ATACR is a better fit for your needs. I have seen both scopes in the same conditions but wasn’t purposely going back and forth to compare them. I own the S3 you have. I’d say glass is similar enough that you won’t “miss” the zeiss in real world scenarios. Again, I wasn’t trying to judge them against each other so ATACR glass is probably just as good, they use different coatings etc. I like the turrets better on the ATACR as well.

The S3 is a pretty heavy hunting scope, I’m picky so I like more power for hunting (to use as a spotting scope to better judge quality of the animal). For the actual shooting 16x is fine in my opinion. The S3 has a more finicky eyebox above 20x but I don’t notice it when mounted on a rifle.