Zen bivy sheet/ enlightened equipment quilt

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I really liked the idea of the zenbivy setup, but their quilt weight just wasn't quite were I was hoping especially at only 800 fill.

I ordered an enlightened equipment quilt and put some cord attachments on it to attach to the zenbivy quilt. I found a thread in a backpacking forum where the zenbivy owner actually published all the dimensions for where to attach the loops on the sleeping bag and explained how to do it with tenacious tape. I thought it was pretty respectable for him to share how to attach another company's quilt to their sheet. Anyways, I am pretty dang happy with the outcome so far.

Now I have a 10* lite sheet with my 20* EE quilt for total of 32oz. It is super versatile and I expect it to help me avoid drafts in colder weather, and be able to utilize a quilt in colder than normal weather. If I don't see the 9 oz sheet necessary for warmer trips, I can just pack the quilt.

First, I cut out some circles of tenacious tape (I did about a 2" circle) then punch 2 small holes in the middle a short distance apart.

Second, I cut 8cm long cordage and burned both ends. (Make sure your cordage is 2mm thick so that it "snaps" into the zenbivy quilt clips)

13709a03b39d92c3e5997f1ec41e1f4b.jpg

Remove the backing from the tenacious tape and put the cordage through, stick the ends to the tape while making sure the ends of the cordage have tape outside of them to seal up good.

The first loop is attached 35cm from the top of the quilt and 25cm from the edge (to create a thermal barrier)
Each subsequent loop is 22cm apart, and the same 25cm from the edge.

Full disclosure I have not had a chance to truly test it, as I just barely got it done yesterday, but I am super excited to try it out soon!

9e0a09078ba096f207eeae9902d5b340.jpg

dab6f6bc83a52fb4310d54d965a128ce.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t use a bivy with my quilts or bags, but that is a slick idea.

It’s not the type of “Bivy” you are envisioning. The ZenBivy is a sheet that goes around your pad, with a hooded head box that’s insulated for your pillow, and side wings that around a quilt and clip onto those cords he attached, to remove any possibility of drafts.

It’s not the type of “Bivy” you are envisioning. The ZenBivy is a sheet that goes around your pad, with a hooded head box that’s insulated for your pillow, and side wings that around a quilt and clip onto those cords he attached, to remove any possibility of drafts.
Well shit, another piece of gear I didn’t know existed and I’ll have to research…….

BBob

WKR
One thing I dislike with quilts over a traditional bag is getting in and out of them in the middle of the night. You either have to crawl up and out of the top or fumble with the tiny clips on quilts. I end up leaving one side loose and un-clipped most of the time and tuck it under me but that's not very optimal when the temps dip. It looks like the loop clips on the Zenbivy would be much easier to unhook in the middle of the night to escape. I bet with a little practice (bra strap practice as a teenager deja vu :) ) it probably would be pretty easy. I might give the fairly low cost and light (~3oz) Fast Sheet a try, adding loops to an existing quilt.

Last edited:
Definitely following. My fast sheet just arrived and I was trying to find a way to modify my Burrow 20 quilt - this looks promising.

BBob

WKR
Definitely following. My fast sheet just arrived and I was trying to find a way to modify my Burrow 20 quilt - this looks promising.
I've used these Zpacks stick on's before (DCF tent/tarp) and wonder how they'd work. I have a couple leftover extras and might test it if I order a Fast Sheet. There's one or two on the Backpacking Light forum that tried basically the same thing (grosgrain ribbon) so I'll have to search for a follow up on that. Un-clipping the 2mm cord would probably be easier than the ribbon and the cord isn't coming out by itself.

I've used these Zpacks stick on's before (DCF tent/tarp) and wonder how they'd work. I have a couple leftover extras and might test it if I order a Fast Sheet. There's one or two on the Backpacking Light forum that tried basically the same thing (grosgrain ribbon) so I'll have to search for a follow up on that. Un-clipping the 2mm cord would probably be easier than the ribbon and the cord isn't coming out by itself.

I had no idea these existed - another great looking option - thanks for sharing.

That’s a cool modification, I to have looked at zenbivy just because I’m so sick of not sleeping well in the backcountry and zenbivy seems to be where it’s at with comfort. Although it is a little heavy I was willing to just suck it up for a good nights sleep. Sounds like this is the way to go best of both worlds.

BBob

WKR
This is the same post that I found, however I did not see that picture at the time. I believe that is the standard Zenbivy attachment? If not, maybe I did mint completely wrong! hahaha, this was just how I interpreted it. Not sure when I will be able to test it, but hoping to soon!
I believe that’s a picture from a member that sewed loops into their own quilt.

I dug out my extra Zpacks stick on’s and ordered a fast sheet. I’ll check out how they work when the sheet arrives.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to do this and/or praying ZB comes out with a 20* synthetic quilt for months.

Would you mind sharing the link to the forum you were talking about?

PNWGATOR

WKR
One thing I dislike with quilts over a traditional bag is getting in and out of them in the middle of the night. You either have to crawl up and out of the top or fumble with the tiny clips on quilts. I end up leaving one side loose and un-clipped most of the time and tuck it under me but that's not very optimal when the temps dip. It looks like the loop clips on the Zenbivy would be much easier to unhook in the middle of the night to escape. I bet with a little practice (bra strap practice as a teenager deja vu :) ) it probably would be pretty easy. I might give the fairly low cost and light (~3oz) Fast Sheet a try, adding loops to an existing quilt.
Gatorade bottle...

Just sayin.

bigbuckdj

WKR
This is pretty interesting I ordered a katabatic flex 22 and a zenbivy 25 and for the weight, the zenbivy went back. I like the katabatic attachment system, but this might worth a go. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks like the wings fold up. Would an elastic cord with a small hook over the top not work? Or a round para cord/ elastic cord through a tensioner? Like a shoe lace.

BBob

WKR
If you’re adding elastic cords over the top of your bag or quilt you’re likely going to be reducing loft. Might be okay as a test but probably not the best solution for full time use. The Zenbivy already has plastic clips for I believe 2mm cord.

Red33

FNG
1cm loops of 2mm cord attached to a quilt with 2" rounds of tenacious tape, stuck to the quilt at 22cm intervals, starting at 35mm from the top of a quilt, works awesome! (You need 2mm cord to snap into the Zenbivy fast sheet.) You can still keep it open for the warmer nights and close it up when the temps drop. And my EE quilt is a weight savings over the entire zenbivy system. Love this setup.