Zero points WY Antelope Advice needed

Mitchb

FNG
I am looking to go for antelope this year in WY. Our group has no points but will be sure to buy one this year. Does anyone have any recommendations on landowners that might offer access for a trespass fee? I would prefer not to use an outfitter, but will if it provides a better experience for my 10 year old who will be coming along this year.

In a perfect world I would also like to utilize this hunt to scout for mule deer areas as well. I have been looking through the stats also to see if an otc unit would work, but would prefer not to get frustrated by the private land boundary issues. Any suggestions??? Pm me if you would prefer the info was less public.

Many thanks in advance!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your going to have private land issues with any tag you can draw with no points or get as a leftover. I would suggest you go later in season after the deer opener it'll be less crowded with most everyone focused on deer instead.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dcrafton

WKR
FYI, in Wyoming, I've been drawn with "0" points and not been drawn with 5 points for the same unit.. so you having "0" points is not the end of the world for public land. It is definitely harder to get drawn but it is possible. What part are you leaning towards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mitchb

FNG
I know some people that have gone north of Casper with ok results, but I am willing to go anywhere. I will take your advice realunoucky and avoid the opening week of rifle.

Me and my brother have been to Wyoming hunting pronghorn the last 2 years. We were both successful, both years. I ended up shooting a pretty nice one in 2016 and had it mounted. It's not a trophy by any means, but here in KY, it looks a little different on the wall. We drew unit 21 both years with 0 points. I have to disagree with hunting the second week. I think it would be best to be there a day before the opener, find the animals, watch them from a distance until the sun goes down, and then be back there before dawn. Once the civil war of opening weekend begins, the animals migrate towards the private ranches and become very very skittish. Making already long shots, even longer.

The secret to picking a unit to hunt with 0 points is access to available public land. You will need to have the OnX GPS chip or BLM maps to figure out which 0 point unit has the most accessible public land. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll help any way I can. I'll hunting elk in 2017 so I don't mind sharing what spots I know of in area 21.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

My 2015 pronghorn from Area 21 with 0 points.

dae55c277af5669f5391edf109a8076d.jpg

bobhunts

WKR
Don't overlook all the ranches in Wyoming that participate in the voucher system. You can hunt the ranches and be sure to leave the voucher in there box so they get paid by the state. Best system yet! Probably can get a list of participating ranches and go from there as newbies likely won't know about it.

where would one get the voucher list?

I'd like to know this as well.

And if the OP doesn't mind, I'd like to piggy back an additional question related to this one.

What are the legalities of trying to camp on some public land while antelope hunting? If I could avoid hotel rooms, the trip would be that much more feasible.

Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would agree that the opener is probably better than the second week. I'm saying that after deer season opens the antelope plains will be a ghost town and antelope move back on to public. Most local only hunt antelope because it opens first

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I haven't heard of a voucher list. They used to have a landowner list for the ones that allowed free hunting/trespass only on their lands, but that stopped in 2015. The WG&F said the landowners received so many phone calls that some were dropping out. They said it was a hard list to keep up with.

As far as camping in Wyoming. You can camp anywhere on BLM land that you want. No camping on State lands though. If you are tent camping, find a spot out of the wind.

wyosteve

WKR
There is no 'voucher' list. What is being referred to is that on each license, there is a landowner 'tag' which pays the landowner a small amount for each animal killed on his land when he sends the license 'tags' in at year's end. The hunter who kills on his property gives the landowner the tag. It used to be $7 for antelope. Not sure what the current rate is. As you can imagine, little incentive for a landowner.

OP
M

Mitchb

FNG
Thanks everybody for the info! I definitely will get a map chip for Wyoming. I have already used the system for my home state. I am narrowing down a couple units and will pull the trigger soon on an app.

Me and my brother have been to Wyoming hunting pronghorn the last 2 years. We were both successful, both years. I ended up shooting a pretty nice one in 2016 and had it mounted. It's not a trophy by any means, but here in KY, it looks a little different on the wall. We drew unit 21 both years with 0 points. I have to disagree with hunting the second week. I think it would be best to be there a day before the opener, find the animals, watch them from a distance until the sun goes down, and then be back there before dawn. Once the civil war of opening weekend begins, the animals migrate towards the private ranches and become very very skittish. Making already long shots, even longer.

The secret to picking a unit to hunt with 0 points is access to available public land. You will need to have the OnX GPS chip or BLM maps to figure out which 0 point unit has the most accessible public land. Good luck. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll help any way I can. I'll hunting elk in 2017 so I don't mind sharing what spots I know of in area 21.

I cam across this post as I am trying to plan a zero point antelope hunt this year. Any advice of areas to look? I looked at area 21 and wanted to see if you could shed some light where you made entry. We have no problem hiking in and camping. Thank you and be safe.