Zip off base layers?

Dang. Sounds like they would’ve been the perfect option then. Got on this kick a week too late. Do they fit pretty true to size?
I would just wait if you aren't in a hurry. There is no way Kuiu is discontinuing the 97 line. They might be making some updates since it hasn't been "updated", ever to my knowledge, because it's almost perfect!

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
OK I've had enough beers to make me dig them out and try them on lol. XL is comfortable in the waist, tight on the thighs and stretching a good bit and I just measured 24.5" mid-thigh standing up. Very snug all the way down the leg to the ankles.
A perfect fit for me would be, waist could be a little more snug and thighs could be a little less snug. Bottoms came up to high ankle area, about the height of a regular hiking boot.
I'm 6' and roughly 215 right now, went to a BBQ competition today so I'm stuffed and had quite a few drinks.
Haha awesome thanks man!! Do you feel like you could put a thin base layer underneath them for super cold mornings?

Last edited:
OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I would just wait if you aren't in a hurry. There is no way Kuiu is discontinuing the 97 line. They might be making some updates since it hasn't been "updated", ever to my knowledge, because it's almost perfect!
That was my thought too, but would’ve been nice to snag a pair on the cheap as well. But I can wait for a sale. How short are they? They look like they’re kind of in between a full length and a 3/4 in the short video they have on them

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I've got the King's and like them. Many of the other designs have a velcro closure at the top of the zippers. I don't want that extra material at my belt line or under my backpack waist belt so the King's suited me better.
Decently warm?

That was my thought too, but would’ve been nice to snag a pair on the cheap as well. But I can wait for a sale. How short are they? They look like they’re kind of in between a full length and a 3/4 in the short video they have on them
I’d say that assessment is correct, not a true 3/4 but I have no issue with them hitting above 10” boots. They are always in my pack along with the 97 half zip, weigh nothing and provide a good amount of warmth, dry quick, great piece.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The 97s caught my eye but it looks like they’re being discontinued. Got put in the outlet and they’re out of size large. They’re also full length which stinks for my tall boots
Don't overlook the Peloton 118s either, I run those and enjoy them a lot. They won't be as warm for the weight as the airy 97 but they'll be more durable and shouldn't really be heavier than most other company offerings. The Peloton 97 is kinda its own fabric, warm/light but not as robust depending on what you put it through.

34” waist and 23.5” thighs should be a Large. I originally had size large but they would work up over my 18” calves and bunch below my knee. 25” plus thighs and wear 34” waist KUIU pants. Large was tight but ok other than working up my calves. I talked to KUIU and they said xl was long enough it would stay down and waist wouldn’t be too big. Those fit just right and what I’ve used the past 3-4 years.

No way KUIU gets rid of the 97 line. There is no match for that material that I have found yet.

I wear my 97 as my only base layer when needed down to negatives and adjust the pant accordingly. Attack/kutana early and guide/axis late and cold.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu merino zip offs here. Have used sheep and deer hunting. If money is an issue buy on sale. Every holiday they seem to have something. If you are patient you can save considerably on Kuiu gear. Before the Kuiu base layers I wore UA synthetic and what an improvement! Not that they didn’t work for moisture movement. They dried the hell out of my skin and left me itchy as f.. My 2c

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
34” waist and 23.5” thighs should be a Large. I originally had size large but they would work up over my 18” calves and bunch below my knee. 25” plus thighs and wear 34” waist KUIU pants. Large was tight but ok other than working up my calves. I talked to KUIU and they said xl was long enough it would stay down and waist wouldn’t be too big. Those fit just right and what I’ve used the past 3-4 years.

No way KUIU gets rid of the 97 line. There is no match for that material that I have found yet.

I wear my 97 as my only base layer when needed down to negatives and adjust the pant accordingly. Attack/kutana early and guide/axis late and cold.
This is good info… wonder if I could get away with just the pelotons as well. I can get into analysis paralysis pretty easy when it comes to clothes. Especially when I’m sitting at home in the off season and not actually out in the field wearing them haha

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
Don't overlook the Peloton 118s either, I run those and enjoy them a lot. They won't be as warm for the weight as the airy 97 but they'll be more durable and shouldn't really be heavier than most other company offerings. The Peloton 97 is kinda its own fabric, warm/light but not as robust depending on what you put it through.
I think those are a different idea tho from what I’ve heard? The 97s are a fleece and the 118s are more of a summer layer?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think those are a different idea tho from what I’ve heard? The 97s are a fleece and the 118s are more of a summer layer?
We're talking the baselayer bottoms right? I don't wear a baselayer bottom in the summer very often, just pants. The 97 is a airy fleece material (high warmth to weight but not as durable) where as the 118 is more comparable to the light merino baselayer bottom. If I had to guess it probably adds 20F to the comfort range of a pair of pants. Attacks + 118 bottoms are my typical combo in the fall until its <40F all day, then I might break out a pair of guide pants.

*zap*

WKR
The 97s caught my eye but it looks like they’re being discontinued. Got put in the outlet and they’re out of size large. They’re also full length which stinks for my tall boots
xl may work for you.....I have always thought kuiu runs a bit small and it is e-z to fold over the waist band and put a few stiches in it.

What scenarios do you swap out the peloton for the 145? Also how thick are the waistbands on the kuiu pants?
Honestly I've only worn the 97's once, they're too hot. I always wear the 145's, even down to single digits. I don't sit terribly long in one spot though so usually moving. If I'm gonna sit and glass a few hours I'll probably pack the 97's. The waistbands look thick and I thought would be too bulky but don't seem to be an issue under my pants even with a belt.

I see Kuiu has the 120 Merino in the outlet also. I don't have the bottoms, but I absolutely love the 145 Merino hoodie I have, bought the 120 hoodie and it's not the same, stretches out real bad and saggy around wrists and neck and just feels cheap. Figured I'd mention it since you might be considering the bottoms, dunno if they're the same but fwiw.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
Honestly I've only worn the 97's once, they're too hot. I always wear the 145's, even down to single digits. I don't sit terribly long in one spot though so usually moving. If I'm gonna sit and glass a few hours I'll probably pack the 97's. The waistbands look thick and I thought would be too bulky but don't seem to be an issue under my pants even with a belt.

I see Kuiu has the 120 Merino in the outlet also. I don't have the bottoms, but I absolutely love the 145 Merino hoodie I have, bought the 120 hoodie and it's not the same, stretches out real bad and saggy around wrists and neck and just feels cheap. Figured I'd mention it since you might be considering the bottoms, dunno if they're the same but fwiw.
Sweet man thanks for the heads up on the 120. I’m thinking of picking up a lightweight 145-150 range base layer and the peloton set and run them under my Sitka stuff. Looking at kuiu and first lite tho I’ve heard FL kinda went downhill the last few years not sure if they’ve recovered or not yet. For your base layers you said you like them a bit looser?

Sweet man thanks for the heads up on the 120. I’m thinking of picking up a lightweight 145-150 range base layer and the peloton set and run them under my Sitka stuff. Looking at kuiu and first lite tho I’ve heard FL kinda went downhill the last few years not sure if they’ve recovered or not yet. For your base layers you said you like them a bit looser?
I don't like them stretchy tight but don't like them baggy loose either, the tops I like a bit looser fit because I'll wear them in the heat as my only layer. I haven't bought any new FL Merino in years, because their old stuff never wears out. Best Merino out there as far as I'm concerned. Kuiu replaced my 145 hoodie once already, washed it and came out full of holes. They told me to hand wash the new one so it doesn't happen again, no issues washing my FL stuff for like 7 years now. I really love that 145 though so I'll just buy another one if it happens again.

OP
K

Kspence49

FNG
I don't like them stretchy tight but don't like them baggy loose either, the tops I like a bit looser fit because I'll wear them in the heat as my only layer. I haven't bought any new FL Merino in years, because their old stuff never wears out. Best Merino out there as far as I'm concerned. Kuiu replaced my 145 hoodie once already, washed it and came out full of holes. They told me to hand wash the new one so it doesn't happen again, no issues washing my FL stuff for like 7 years now. I really love that 145 though so I'll just buy another one if it happens again.
Interesting. What do you like so much about the kuiu 145 over similar offerings from first lite? And I agree, I’ve typically worn tight to skin base layers but it doesn’t work for shedding layers down to the base without looking like a fool. Just wasn’t sure if there was a performance difference of looser vs tight tight

Interesting. What do you like so much about the kuiu 145 over similar offerings from first lite? And I agree, I’ve typically worn tight to skin base layers but it doesn’t work for shedding layers down to the base without looking like a fool. Just wasn’t sure if there was a performance difference of looser vs tight tight
The fit with the hood is just perfect for me, seems to dry more quickly if I sweat. Don't get me wrong I wear the heck out of the FL Merino, have one of each weight for many years. The sleeve length and overall fit of the Kuiu I think just fits me better, and it's in Valo pattern which works well where we typically bow hunt so I can just wear it as an outer layer when it's crazy hot. FL hoods seem more like an after thought whereas the Kuiu hood is very functional and moves with my head and keeps the sun off my ears. I typically wear the hoodless FL base layers out West where I'm using a heavier Merino on cold late season hunts and the Kuiu 145 if it's a warmer day or down here in Texas. I've never been able to wear the FL Furnace though, I've never been cold enough to make it work.