Zulu6 For Kids

So there seems to be decent feedback on the Sig Zulu6 with image stabilizing. Wonder if people with experience think these would be good for a kiddo?

My kiddos are tiny and some of the “heavier binos” they have a hard time holding steady, even when bracing on their knees. Not sure they are ready for tripod setups either. These are 20oz which I feel is pretty light for binos. And then add image stabilizing on top of it. Just trying to help my kiddos build some confidence in finding game. Thoughts?

And second thoughts…what power would you get them? 10x, 12x, or 16x? I only throw the 16x in there as I might steal them every once in a while for archery shoots 😬 And now that I think about it, might even let the old man who has a tremors use them.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
So last wk I went to a buddies house with my three boys (12,11&9) to sight in deer rifles. He happens to be a rep for sig. He had several models on hand that we used for sighting in rifles and an evening scouting trip. The 16x image stabilizing were the pick of the litter in my opinion. Able to see bullet holes at 100 crystal clear. I was able to get a good look at a buck at 500 yards. My kids used them with ease. I will have a pair before I go out west again. Very impressive

My buddy just got a set of the 12x hdx and they are incredible . I had the same thought about getting a set of the older 10x for the kids and maybe the 16x hdx for myself .

OP
passinggas33
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 10x for my kid (or at least I told my wife that is who they are for) and some 16x for me.

I know they won’t replace my swaros or my 15s on a tripod (or spotters) but I think they are going to serve a different purpose.

When I go archery hunting I’m going to use the 10s in my bino harness and the 16s are going to ride in my pack. Planning on ditching the spotter/tripod at home and using the 16s when I truly want a little better look. Will it be as good? No. Will it be 2-3 pounds lighter? Yes. And for archery hunting I don’t need that much more magnification. Just want to make sure it’s something I’d be happy pursuing and just need that little bit extra sometimes.

I also think the 16s are going to go with me on 3D shoots. Would be nice to one hand hold and see arrow locations when shooting.

Long winded, but some of my thoughts. I’ll give some feedback as this progresses. Should have them both just in time for a Montana deer/elk hunt. Though they won’t be my primary optics on that trip, I’ll try and put them through the paces and give some feedback.

4th_point

WKR
Well I bit the bullet and ordered the 10x for my kid (or at least I told my wife that is who they are for) and some 16x for me.

When I go archery hunting I’m going to use the 10s in my bino harness and the 16s are going to ride in my pack. Planning on ditching the spotter/tripod at home and using the 16s when I truly want a little better look. Will it be as good? No. Will it be 2-3 pounds lighter? Yes.

I also think the 16s are going to go with me on 3D shoots. Would be nice to one hand hold and see arrow locations when shooting.
I had the previous generation 10x and 16x. The latest version is supposed to be better. I think there's value in that combo, especially with your reasonable expectations mentioned.

OP
passinggas33
So a little feedback after buying both the 10x and 16x. I consider myself a medium on the scale of newb to glass snob. So take this for what it is.

I handed my 10x to my 8 year old kiddo and it was amazing for him. He’s not a big kid so holding the light weight and adding in stabilizing he was able to see everything I could. He loved them, and prying them from his hand was a little challenge. For me, they will continue to be “his” binos, until archery season. These with a rangefinder will be in my chest rig, even over my Swaro EL Range. They do lack the clarity that I get from the Swaro, but for that purpose (hiking/huffing and puffing) they are awesome.

On top of that, the 16x will likely be in my pack as well for archery hunts, leaving the tripod and spotter at home. Though not as nice as this combo, the 22oz weight penalty makes up all the difference. And they will be my pseudo spotter moving forward during archery season where I’m not as concerned about size.

As for their use during rifle season…I just got back from Montana. It was awesome to be able to use these while driving down the road, trying to glass in 40mph winds, etc. Again, not nearly as clear as my Swaros, and having the built in ballistics tuned to my rifle still had me using my swaros more than the Zulus. But, with that being said, they will still ride with me on all my rifle hunts, especially on a truck or atv/SxS hunt. Overall I was more than pleased with the product. Glass was mediocre, but the image stabilizing was incredible and helps close the gap between higher end optics, to me.

Zulu6 is definitely affordable but getting a set for the kids....... Can I be one of your kids? I'd barely trust my kid with a set of vortex binos

OP
passinggas33
Zulu6 is definitely affordable but getting a set for the kids....... Can I be one of your kids? I'd barely trust my kid with a set of vortex binos
Well he does have a set of cheap leupolds that he normally uses. These are for the “special trips” with dad. Plus saying they were for him was how I had to sell them to wife so I could justify buying two sets 😜

I'm going to try these soon. They sound great for a kid or for a hiking bino. Maybe a western archery bino where I'll have my handheld rangefinder with me.

I should just start saving now for the inevitable Swarovski NL RF IS $5000 bino.

OP
passinggas33
I'm going to try these soon. They sound great for a kid or for a hiking bino. Maybe a western archery bino where I'll have my handheld rangefinder with me.

I should just start saving now for the inevitable Swarovski NL RF IS $5000 bino.
Honestly if they did them, as crazy as it sounds, I would probably be a buyer. The image stabilizing really is that cool and valuable to seeing more game.

bigbuckdj

WKR
So a little feedback after buying both the 10x and 16x. I consider myself a medium on the scale of newb to glass snob. So take this for what it is.

I handed my 10x to my 8 year old kiddo and it was amazing for him. He’s not a big kid so holding the light weight and adding in stabilizing he was able to see everything I could. He loved them, and prying them from his hand was a little challenge. For me, they will continue to be “his” binos, until archery season. These with a rangefinder will be in my chest rig, even over my Swaro EL Range. They do lack the clarity that I get from the Swaro, but for that purpose (hiking/huffing and puffing) they are awesome.

On top of that, the 16x will likely be in my pack as well for archery hunts, leaving the tripod and spotter at home. Though not as nice as this combo, the 22oz weight penalty makes up all the difference. And they will be my pseudo spotter moving forward during archery season where I’m not as concerned about size.

As for their use during rifle season…I just got back from Montana. It was awesome to be able to use these while driving down the road, trying to glass in 40mph winds, etc. Again, not nearly as clear as my Swaros, and having the built in ballistics tuned to my rifle still had me using my swaros more than the Zulus. But, with that being said, they will still ride with me on all my rifle hunts, especially on a truck or atv/SxS hunt. Overall I was more than pleased with the product. Glass was mediocre, but the image stabilizing was incredible and helps close the gap between higher end optics, to me.

I have the 16s and 10s as well, I believe the 10s with the increased field of view would be great for a kid. My kid is five and has some neon blue ultra cheap binos he’s destroying. He’s not ready for the sigs quite yet.