The Big Ole 3 Blade Snuffer!

ElkNut1

WKR
I've been tossing around using them this year out of a 55# Longbow, not sure yet? Gotta see how they fly & am considering others as well. I'm not a two blade guy as I've not had good luck with their blood trails. I'm best suited for 3-bladed heads as I like their larger wound channel. It will take a solid setup though to punch that big Snuffer into an elk! Can't wait for this 4' of snow to melt down some to give them a shot!

Anyone shoot them now or have shot them in the past?

ElkNut1

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I tried the 185gr Snuffers a few years ago with my compound. But I wasn't willing to change up my fletching that much to shoot them well. Those were some massive heads. I would look at the VPA's as well, haven't tried them but I hear good things about them. There's always the Woodsmans and Elites which would be great for a longbow setup.

Bob b

FNG
Could never get the snuffers to fly well, but the woods mans worked great. Little smaller diameter but still make a good hole!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Guys, thank you! Yes, I've taken elk with the Original Woodsman & the Elite vented version, both worked excellent!

Mike & Bob, I too tried the Big Snuffer out of my compound years ago & had the same results as you! The speed was just to much on them, they'd plane around for sure! I'm thinking at 180 fps they'd tame way down with 5" feathers, we'll see! I'd love to shoot them. Funny you mention the VPA head, I was thinking of the 150 grain 3 blade ones as well! (grin) I'd like to get my hands on one & check them out. Thanks!

ElkNut1

With good helical fletch and a decently tuned bow/arrow setup I can think of no reason they wouldn't shoot perfectly. I've shot them off and on for years but my go-to 3 blade is absolutely a VPA...mainly because I believe they are built far stronger and more accurately than my old Snuffers. The Snuffer is a big head and I would consider 55 pounds adequate on deer or thinner-skinned game.

I don't have 150's but I do have a couple 175gr 1 1/4" cut and the standard 200gr. Both are non-vented. My favorite "all around" three blade is the non vented 200 gr.
Let me know if you're considering a heavier head.
Ryan

I was given several wood arrows with these broad heads. Three 5" feathers were on the back end. They are heavy, but I get great flight out of them from my 60lbs BW bow.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Kevin , thanks. I'm primarily an elk hunter with a bow these days. My setup is for elk, I'm fairly confident my bow could handle the Snuffer as long as I do my part. My arrow weight would be 525 grains, I wouldn't want anything heavier than that.

Ryan, thanks bud for the offer, I do have a couple 175 grain VPA here but no 150's. I like 200 grains of head & insert but could squeeze out 225 if needed. (Grin)

ElkNut1

I shoot 175 VPA's they fly extemely well and I shoot them out of a 55 pound longbow. Although I havent been able to shoot an elk with one yet I have shot some big mule deer and large hogs here in the south and I was very impressed with the blood trail and short recovery. I have gotten pass throughs with that setup.

CX heritage 250 29.5 long
100 grain insert
175 vpa head
three left helical fletch
and standard CX nocks 640 grains @ 180 fps out of my own bow i built

Beendare

WKR
I've shot deer and pigs with the original snuffer...and have seen another 1/2 dozen animals shot with them.

The good;
They go through an animal effortlessly. I got a bids eye view of a buddy shooting a big boar hog [appx 220#] shield and all and that arrow didn't appear to slow down through that hog. The coc and tapered design is amazing....and it helps to keep the blades razor sharp [not a lot of pressure on the edge.

The bad;
They don't always spin true....and the blades aren't perfectly aligned...so when sharpening you get parts of the blade that stay a little dull.

so I went to the VPA 150s which are of a similar size but much better construction. These all spin......and they sharpen well using a fine flat stone....then a chock stick at an angle. I show it in the thread I did on AT in the Western section, "My Elk Arrow"

I think those VPA's are the best thing going.....and the 150gr 2 blade fly the same as the 3 bl 150's in my recurve.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks! Yes I agree those VPA heads look great! I'd like to try the 150's. I can see they are a much better built head for sure! They look to be close to the same sized SnufferSS -- Anyone know? Thanks!

ElkNut1

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
I've only shot one animal so far with the 150 grain VPA, but I'm impressed. It was a small blacktail but he only made it about 40 yards. What I find most attractive is how easy they tuned and how easy they are to sharpen. Andy Ivy had a great sharpening video somewhere on the web. By far the easiest head to get sharp that I've ever messed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Agreed, the VPA's I've sharpened were a piece of cake! I didn't need a 12" bastard file to get proper blade angles, they were perfect, it's nice to eliminate that step! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

wncbrewer

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed, the VPA's I've sharpened were a piece of cake! I didn't need a 12" bastard file to get proper blade angles, they were perfect, it's nice to eliminate that step! (grin) Thanks!

ElkNut1

My experience exactly, elknut. The only time I needed the file was on one that got beat up
Pretty bad after it passed through my worn out target and found the dirt. I was still able to bring it back around pretty quickly.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I used to shoot them a bit. I still have some, I mainly just use them for turkeys. My biggest problem with them, is that the quality seemed to have gone way down hill. The last ones I bought, the blades were slightly warped, and I had one head that seemed like it was out of true or something. The old ones I have are really well made though.

bobinmi

WKR
I still have a few of them that I use for turkeys. They are so damn loud going through the air though that I can't bring myself to use them on big game.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Plus, the ole Snuffer takes lots of man hours to sharpen up a dozen of them, they come as dull as dull can be! My longbow must be slow, I really hadn't noticed much noise from them but sometimes I am 1/2 deaf! (grin)

ElkNut1

Titan_Bow

WKR
Plus, the ole Snuffer takes lots of man hours to sharpen up a dozen of them, they come as dull as dull can be! My longbow must be slow, I really hadn't noticed much noise from them but sometimes I am 1/2 deaf! (grin)

ElkNut1

You know, I am the same. I always heard people complaining of the noise. I could definitely hear a difference between these and something like a STOS, Magnus, or Zwickey, but I never thought it was enough to actually spook something

Beendare

WKR
Paul,
i don't have a side by side comparison of the snuffer vs the VPA 150's but I do have a pic with the 150 VPA 2 and 3 blade compared to some other heads.

when you see them side by side next to some of those avg 125g heads...its an eye opener!
6 bh's comparison.jpg
Edit; so the VPA 150 is on the left...it makes the crowd favorite Slick trick look like a whimp, eh?
Next to that [all black] is the150 gr VPA 2 blade....then the 125g Buzzcut...with the magnus snuffer ss and that other dink 125 head taking up the rear

Last edited:
OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Great visual Bruce! Those 150's look mean & awesome, lovem! (grin)

ElkNut1