Eberlestock Blue Widow with Intex II tubular Frame

Tama505

FNG
Hi!

Im new to the forum and just moved to the US from Finland. Im looking a hunting backpack which i could use as a day pack and then for hauling my camp for longer distances. Typically the maximum weight I would carry is around 50-60lbs. Since I hunt mainly birds I do not haul lot of meat.

The key criteria for me when selecting a pack:
- Can be used for 5-6 day trip for carrying the whole camp for 8-10 mile hikes
- Can be used as a day pack and expanded if needed
- Of course, as light weight as possible
- Option to carry rifle
-Ability to shoot with a shotgun while carryong the pack. (Thin harness)

I would like to hear any experiences from the updated Blue Widow pack with the Intex II tubular steel frame. I have read reviews from the old version and the issues with load lifters and the issues getting the weight of from shoulders. Is the new version any better?

The positive things in the new blue widow:
+ Expandable to a large bag by opening one zipper and to a very large bag with super spike duffel
+ ~6lb without the fanny bag
+ Option to install scabbard
+ Frame can be used as a seat
+ Price

Since Im not very familiar with other comparable options in the North American market I would like to get some guidance what other brands could offer.

I highly appreciate all comments and help and Im willing to invest more money if I find the perfect pack for my need.

-Tama

Last edited:
I hunted with a Blue Widow when they first came out, maybe 10 seasons ago. I found it to be stiff and uncomfortable. I also didn't like the way the load attaches to the pack. It puts the heaviest part- the meat- the farthest away from your back. This is the opposite of what you want. It was also very heavy. On the plus side, it was very durable and more affordable than the higher end packs on the market.

There are many good pack companies that make a lighter, more comfortable product. These include Kifaru, Seek Outside, Exo Mountain, Stone Glacier, Mystery Ranch, Kuiu. They will be more expensive than the Eberlestock. However, if you keep an eye on the classifieds section of this forum you may find a good deal on one.

Just read your criteria again. Since you are mainly bird hunting and not hauling large loads of meat, I would recommend non-hunting brand backpacking pack. REI, Gregory, etc. They will be more affordable than a dedicated hunting pack and still suit your needs well of packing in camp and then compressing to a day pack. Then go to to Kifaru and buy a Universal Gun Bearer to the pack up to carry your gun.

OP
T

Tama505

FNG
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I have never seen a normal pack with a shooters harness. Since I need to shoot quicky with a shotgun on a daypack mode normal pack does not work. I have osprey for hauling my camp and a separate hunting day pack and want to get just one.

Check out Hill People Gear Ute or the Qui-ya packs. Hill people gear uses a shoulder harness similar to the one that eberlestock uses. Its low profile and will do just fine shouldering a shotgun. The Ute could be used for multiday trips if the rest of your kit is lightweight, otherwise the Qui-ya can handle whatever trips you choose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

OP
T

Tama505

FNG
Thanks for the tip, Hill Country Ute with additional pack attached to it might work.
When googling I found Slumberjack rail hauler 2500. https://slumberjack.com/rail-hauler-2500/

When adding a camp duffel bag to that system it would be perfect.

Then the question is that which one is better to carry: Blue widow with the new frame or the SJK Rail Hauler 2500?

Tama