Thoughts on Sitka 90%

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a Sitka 90% jacket a few months ago for $70. I believe it is the newest version (no pit zips) before it was discontinued. My initial impressions were great, but it seems like it's not going to be quite as warm as I thought it would be. Of course I'll layer under it so that's not necessarily a huge issue. I'll be using it to hunt whitetail in PA. I usually hike the hills, and find a place to sit for a few hours. I'm planning on using it in the wind and snow, but it may not be quite cut out for that.

Just curious, what are everyone else's reviews/experiences with it? Did I get a good deal? Will it work for what I want it for or will I have to upgrade to a harder shell.

I know I'll have to find out for myself, just asking for other opinions.

wapitibob

WKR
I've had one for a decade and it's on me or my pack 100% of the time. In my opinion It's not a wind and snow outer layer, it's been a September early October layer for me. A thin packable rain outer layer over it would block wind and hold heat in light snow type conditions though.

Last edited:
OP
applepie_eli

applepie_eli

Lil-Rokslider
I've had one for a decade and it's on me or my pack 100% of the time. It's not a wind and snow outer layer, it's a September early October layer. A thin packable rain outer layer would block wind and hold heat in light snow type conditions though.

Good to hear. Got a Columbia rain jacket that I trust 100% for rain. I'll probably use it exactly how you said it.

wyosteve

WKR
I had one of the first version 90% jackets and liked it. Then it seems the next version was thinner and not as durable. It reminded me more of a mid-weight shirt than a jacket. I never wore it and sold it. It seemed they cheapened that version so not surprised to see it disappear.

IdahoBeav

WKR
I love them, have one in L that I wear during archery elk season and another in XL that I wear for rifle deer when I wear thicker mid layers.

The pants are great too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tracker12

WKR
I have had an early set for years. They are my favorite pants and jacket and I wear it 90% lol of the time.

Whisky

WKR
I have one that I no longer use anymore. Can't find any real good purpose for it. I feel it's a complete waste of money at full price. At $70 I guess that isn't a bad price for one. However for what you describe, you are probably better served with a Jetstream. The 90% jacket to me is about equivalent to a long sleeve shirt, or light sweatshirt. Way overpriced for what it is, IMO.