Early Season Sitka

Dshall

FNG
Hello everyone, I have been looking at Rokslide for a couple months now and I just made an account for my question and I am not quite sure if this is the right place to post.

I cannot find information anywhere on what exactly people will wear. I got drawn for the first time applying for early season elk in AZ for unit 27 which I read is supposedly really rough terrain. I will be in Alpine AZ which in August has average temps of 60F from 6-10am and 70F from 11-12pm and 70-90F from 12-4pm. It will be hot and I will most certainly be hot from exerting myself.

I have looked into and want to pursue Sitka. Sitka says to buy the "core lightweight hoody" and "ascent pants" with possibly a "core LS shirt" as a base layer. My question is will this polyester clothing be too chilly from 6-10am or will moving around keep me warm until 12 when I can take the hoody off and keep the LS on. (Also side note that the ascent shirt is on sale so I am maybe leaning towards that as a base instead of the LS with the hoody as outer) or should I do the core hoody as a base with the traverse fleece hoody for the morning?

There are so many options that it is overwhelming and they all seem about the same. Hopefully, someone from out west can help me with the summer clothing. (I am a real tree edge Thinsulate Michigan hunter lol.)

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes. You will be hiking early. Keep an Ambient hoody or jacket handy for when you set up early in the morning and you will be fine. A warm hat too just in case. I’ve spent a ton of time in September in units right next to you. Be prepared for everything but there are some awesome days up there in the end of September, you are in for an incredible treat.

OP
D

Dshall

FNG
Yes. You will be hiking early. Keep an Ambient hoody or jacket handy for when you set up early in the morning and you will be fine. A warm hat too just in case. I’ve spent a ton of time in September in units right next to you. Be prepared for everything but there are some awesome days up there in the end of September, you are in for an incredible treat.
So you recommend a fleece hoody for the morning? What about the base layer (ascent shirt/core LS poly)? Or the core hoody as the base?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I like hoodies. Core hoody is a great base layer. They also have 3 weights of merino which are excellent; I’d take the light and medium to AZ to cover a lot of conditions.

I said the AMBIENT hoody or jacket. You probably won’t need it hiking around chasing bugles but they both breath incredibly well when moving and are nice and warm if you stop for a while.

OP
D

Dshall

FNG
Awesome thank you! I checked out the ambient hoody and unfortunately it’s sold out/clearance so i don’t think it’s coming back. I asked fleece because the next option would be the traverse hoody but not sure if that’s as good. Thank you again sir!

From what they currently make, I'd be picking the intercept pant, core merino 120 hoodie, and an insulation piece for when you're stationary. Maybe a rain shell just in case. I have used basically that same combo (with the precursor to the intercept pants) the past 2 years in similar conditions with zero complaints.