AZ Late season 22N archery bull

bearclaw

FNG
Drew this with my old man for my first AZ elk hunt. I know it is a tough hunt on tired and weary animals, but planning to give it hell.

I will be driving out there in the next 3-4 weeks to scout and confirm what I am seeing on maps translates in real life but if anyone has hunted it I won't pass up some info.

My real questions are around camp setup, the hunt starts the week before Thanksgiving so I know weather can be an issue so we are debating a wall tent, any recommendations on one for 6 people (for when the spawn go along) that works with a stove, please let me know.

I almost headed out there this coming weekend, but figured I would wait a few more weeks to let whatever happens with them moving down from the rim, happen.

OP
B

bearclaw

FNG
Does anyone have any thoughts on calling that late (mid-late NOV)? I have it on good authority that the bulls can still be bugling then, but not sure what kind of calling if any I should use?

If nothing else I was thinking a pre-dawn bugle to see if they respond couldn't hurt, but that is about it. Thanks...

The Chances of them calling then is very slim, especially in 22N. The Camping will be dependant on the amount of snow at the time of the hunt. I will tell you, it snowed tuesday in parts of 22n, but most has melted by today. The control road will likely be the busiest spot in the unit, but it is a very large area with probably the highest amount of Elk in the unit. Elk are pretty much everywhere in the unit right now. I found multiple bulls yesterday on the edge of the rim. Getting to them would be pretty challenging, but they are there. With all the pressure from the multiple hunts in there right now, the elk have moved to the thicker/ steeper areas. Good luck on your hunt. As for your bugles, the only way it will hurt you is if 2 legged creatures hear it and flock to the sound.