Colorado Elk Rifle

IAboy92

FNG
As I plan for my 2019 Colorado elk hunt one of the next items on my agenda is the purchase of a new rifle. I am an Iowa flatlander and do 95% of my hunting with bow and arrow. I do fairly regularly shoot shotguns, rifles, and muzzleloaders, but do not have a gun that I think would be properly suited for a Colorado elk hunt. The closest would be a 22-250. I would like this gun to be fairly versatile for most North American big game species including elk, caribou, sheep, and bears. I would like to stay under $500 for the gun and scope as I have to acquire everything for my first western hunt (backpack, tent, gun, all of the other stuff that I could get by without but will still buy). What are some of the things I should be looking for?

-Barrel length
-Caliber
-Scope options
-etc.

I really like the Remington 700 but the Remington 783 and Howa 1500 GameKing are also guns that seem like they would fit the role for what I need. For some reason I am drawn to the .308 but would like some insight as to what you guys like and how prices vary from caliber to caliber within this range.

Titan

WKR
Under $500 all in might be tough. Although there is a deal on Savage Axis rifles right now. Academy has them on sale, plus a $75 rebate. I think some even come with a scope, not a good one though. Not Tikka quality stuff, but i'm sure it will do.

Prices won't change between the calibers for the most part.

ChrisAU

WKR
$500 will be ultra tight for rifle, rings, and scope. I'd also suggest a Savage Axis, and then something like a Leupold VX-Freedom or Vortex Diamondback. You could maybe get one of the scoped rifles for a deal and then sell the crappy Bushnell or Nikon for $50 or so.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
You thought about bringing the slug gun and limiting your shots to 200?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I purchased a Winchester XPR initially in
.308 for my elk hunt this year for the same reasons you listed. Ended up having to send back to Winchester due to defects. They sent me a brand new gun, but I requested in .300 WSM. Glad that I made that choice. Wide array of bullet sizes, can still white tail hunt with. Did a number on my elk with an off hand shot at 230 yds.

I ended up winning a Browning X-bolt in .308 back in September right before my trip. I will definitely consider taking it for future elk trips.

Look into the XPR. I got it on sale from Cabelas for just under $400

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't go wrong with at .308 or 30-06. Lots of choices for ammo at reasonable prices. A Savage 10/11 with accu-trigger and a basic scope package or an Axis with a little better scope should be right in your price range and are good shooters. Might be able to find something on Black Friday. Otherwise a lightly used rifle might be an option.

ChrisA

WKR
I wouldn't rule out used rifles or optics. I'd have no problem picking up a used Remington 700 ADL from the 80's. Not a whole lot of use for a 30-06, 270, 300WM, 308, 338WM, or 7mm Remington here in Iowa so I'd think a guy could pick a decent one up for $400 or a bit more.

I've seen a lot of used Leupold VX1 and even some VX2 in 2-7 or 3-9x for less than $200 on the classifieds here and many other hunting and shooting forums.

It's certainly an option if you can stand not having new.

Good luck,

Chris

I would not think twice about buying a good used rifle , in January and February pawn shops fill up with good rifles . Long shots are not as common in Colorado as other western states . I am assuming you are going to hunt a over the counter season (2nd or 3rd) and bulls will be hard to find in the meadows so focus on the nasty stuff where a shot will likely be inside 100 yds . and good luck

P.S. don't skimp on binoculars, shooting a bull is easy finding one to shoot is the hard part

ChrisA

WKR
I've got several sets of rings for various rifles that I'd donate to your cause if you need them. Just pm me when you find a rifle and need rings.

Chris

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I am an Iowa flatlander and do 95% of my hunting with bow and arrow.

I'd bring the bow and arrow and hunt the archery season.

But there are some good deals on rifles out there at times. I was in Sportsman's Warehouse yesterday and thumbed through their flier that was a week old. One thing stood out......Ruger American Rifles in .270 WIN for $199.99.....normally $419.99. I already have one of those rifles in that caliber, I was ready to pick up a couple more at that price.

Jimss

WKR
I would highly recommend 300 WSM for caliber! I've never had to shoot more than 1 shot on elk, mtn goat, dall sheep, bighorn, moose, bear, muledeer, whitetail, and antelope. It works great on all species. I only use Nosler ballistic tip 150 grains. The nice thing about 30 cal is you can use 180 grain bullets if desired. The nice thing about it is the 300 WSM hardly kicks at all and I pattern super tight groups! I've had 1 shot kills on every critter I've shot so far....knock on wood! Mtn goat are THE toughest animal I've hunted in N Amer to put on the ground and have shot 5 mtn goats with 1 shot kills.

In regard to rifle brands I love my Sako Finnlight. It is super light for hauling up and down sheep, elk, mtn goat hills. It is a little spendy but well worth the price. I originally owned a 300 weatherby mag in Remington 700 and it was not near the quality. I also had a tough time hitting a 1' wide paper plate before I sold it! I also had a 300 Winchester that I immediately returned after I saw how hard it kicked! My 300 WSM kicks about as hard as my 270....which sits in the closet because I love my Sako 300 WSM!

If you are pinched for cash you might look at 300 WSM in a Tikka. If I didn't get my Sako I likely would have gotten a Tikka.

bozeman

WKR
Get a Marlin X7 in 30-06 and top it with leupold vx-2. Adjustable trigger, accurate and low cost. Don't worry about a magnum or fancy wildcat cartridge, you dont need it unless you just 'have to'........Best of Luck

LightFoot

WKR
Any reputable 30-06 (Winchester, Remington, Savage, Marlin) new or used, if bought from a trusted source.

Top with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40

$500 is tight.

Ruger Americans are not aesthetically pleasing, but AI hear they shoot well and are under your budget.

Or borrow a buddy's rifle.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

rbljack

WKR
As others have said...500 might be tough on a new gun but a used gun could easily get you there. When I started gun hunting 20 plus years ago, my first rifle purchase was a 30-06 savage. Went to WY this year for elk...which gun you think I took? yep...same gun. A 300 WSM would be a great upgrade for me, but the ole 06 still gets the job done. Caliber is part of the equation, and good bullets is another portion. I used nosler accubonds for the last elk hunt.

Id start looking for a good used gun with a 3-9 scope. Shots can be in close out to 400 yards..so a scoped rifle would be what Id suggest. Caliber selections are many, but don't get something that is going to create a flinch for ya. I went with the 30-06 because of the very reason you mentioned in your post. Its good for most north American game and fairly versatile. Lots of bullet selections, and easy to buy when needed/readily available. good luck in your search.

topher89

WKR
30-06. As said above, $500 all in would be tough. I would suggest a Weatherby Vanguard and a Leupold Freedom 3x9 scope