Colorado bear/elk unit overlap.

TWoch

FNG
I was reading Colorado raised bear tags this year because there wasn't the increased amount of interest they had hoped for with the previous price reduction. I applied for a muz bear and elk tag and you have to choose between one side of the unit or the other. Why wouldn’t there be unit reciprocity for same weapon elk/bear tags when the state admits they’re trying to increase tags/harvests?

I was reading Colorado raised bear tags this year because there wasn't the increased amount of interest they had hoped for with the previous price reduction. I applied for a muz bear and elk tag and you have to choose between one side of the unit or the other. Why wouldn’t there be unit reciprocity for same weapon elk/bear tags when the state admits they’re trying to increase tags/harvests?

Some units like the unit I outfit in unit 43, was split into 2 sides, biggest reason was to try and get some people to hunt bear closer to Aspen. Many people hunted the western side mainly so it helps push guys around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMF

WKR
It gets worse when you throw in a deer tag too. I had all three last year, but all three only overlapped for one unit, even though individually they are each good for multiple units...

OP
T

TWoch

FNG
Some units like the unit I outfit in unit 43, was split into 2 sides, biggest reason was to try and get some people to hunt bear closer to Aspen. Many people hunted the western side mainly so it helps push guys around
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. I ended up going with the Aspen side of the unit. Have the hikers/recreational users increased the amount of bear encounters CPW is having to deal with? Sounds like it’s become a huge burden for officers.

bz_711

WKR
You don't raise tag prices when you want more bears harvested...you raise them so less guys hunt them, and populations rise leading to more depredation of elk and deer. This means less hunters needed or no hunters.
This follows right along with everything else the Governor is doing to end hunting in CO.

I think most biologist would say bring back spring bear season and you'd have an influx of bear hunter $'s and decrease the current issues with black bears.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You don't raise tag prices when you want more bears harvested...you raise them so less guys hunt them, and populations rise leading to more depredation of elk and deer. This means less hunters needed or no hunters.
This follows right along with everything else the Governor is doing to end hunting in CO.

I think most biologist would say bring back spring bear season and you'd have an influx of bear hunter $'s and decrease the current issues with black bears.
Absolutely totally backwards if you wanted to get more hunters, unfortunately getting a spring bear hunt back would be almost impossible since it’s in the state constitution