DIY Idaho 2019

Not sure what you are thinking we did. Can you explain a method of getting from one section of the unit to another without driving? Seems like it is virtually impossible to get into any type of elk country, without first parking your truck somewhere to start hiking. We searched OnX and GE extensively trying to find lower elevation basins to check out. We had a solid high country plan until the snow crushed it and moved the elk down. Maybe you know some hover craft method or magic carpet trick we havent tried yet.

During my MT rifle hunt this year every pull out had a camp and most of them were wall tent communities.. We camped in what was basically a swamp the first couple days. However, in 8 days of hunting I didn't see another hunter once I left camp. I'm guessing that is part of what theleo is getting at.

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted the Salmon country a lot and have never seen a September snow push the elk out of the high country. Even if it snowed a foot it would melt and they will be in their usual haunts. If you want a hint with timber that offers a chance at a bull look at unit 28. You may see lots of camps but that area is huge. Walk a mile from any road and you won’t have much competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrentH

WKR
I’ve hunted the Salmon country a lot and have never seen a September snow push the elk out of the high country. Even if it snowed a foot it would melt and they will be in their usual haunts. If you want a hint with timber that offers a chance at a bull look at unit 28. You may see lots of camps but that area is huge. Walk a mile from any road and you won’t have much competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shouldn’t be much Elk hunting competition there in September, because there is no early archery season in 28.

Fullfan

WKR
I can tell you first hand that The part of the Salmon zone I archery hunted in Sept had lots of hunters. Thought I would avoid the crowds by getting back in, wrong ran into several camps in the middle of nowhere. I spent 19 days there, every day I would here men blowing their bugles, not what I had expected. And I heard that the circus showed up in Gun season with 100's of camps.