Savage model 110E Scope mounting question.

I have a .270 110E and was wondering if anyone has used a picatinny rail. I was told the only mounts that would work are Weaver, so that is what I have used. I want to put a 50mm scope, but they clear the barrel. I'm looking for a better set up. I don't even know what the "E" represents. Maybe someone could enlighten me.

JFK

WKR
Not sure what the “E” stands for either, but I have a savage in 270 with Talley extended mounts on it and they work fine. Before that I had Burris signature rings on a weaver mount. I believe you can run pretty much any type of mount on the 110, just be aware that a savage long action is a little longer than most. If you want to run a pic rail that shouldn’t be a problem.

TauPhi111

WKR
I run an Evolution Gun Works (EGW) rail on my savage and several other rifles. They are quality, rock solid, and I'd recommend them to anyone. They're drop in for the most part on modern firearms. Just be sure to order the right one for your savage variant

howl

WKR
There are variations in the shape of the Savage actions. That might be the one with a round rear. A call to Savage should sort it out.

Savage long actions are long and today's scopes are short. A one piece or unitized mount is the answer, but you may be limited in how low you can mount or how far back you can set the scope.

The last Savage long action I mounted used an EGW rail and low Burris Zee rings. I recall having to Dremel off a bit of the forward part of the rail to clear the scope. That would have been a 40mm scope, so a 50mm might need more removed or higher rings.

i think 08 was the year savage went to a round back on their reciever from the flat back. With that said I have several round back and flat back savage’s. On my 114 round back I have a leupold one pice mount with leupold rings w/ 40mm objective. The other 114 I have an EGW picatinny 20MOA mount with low warne rings w/ 40mm objective. The other round back I have a 0MOA picatinny EGW with low EGW rings and 40mm objective. I think what the person meant by only rings that would fit are “Weaver” style not so much Weaver brand, as all the manufacturers sell Weaver style rings.