Scope base mounting….pinned or 8-40? (Custom 700) Opinions??

Deucebump

WKR
Let me preface this question by saying I am the gunsmith building this rifle, and it is for my personal use. I am just for looking opinions and reasons why.

My question is, if you were building a new full custom build in a heavy recoil caliber (300 RUM), would you open up the scope base holes to 8-40 screws, or leave the factory 6-48 screws and put hardened pins in the base/action? My reason for asking is that I was going to open the holes up to 8-40 but then I realized the base I have already has holes for pinning in it. As far as machining goes its a horse apiece for whichever I choose, both are pretty simple.

So what says you custom gun guys?!?

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
While I considered that, and knew somebody would recommend it, I dont really see the need for overkill just to say its done. I have been in the firearm industry for over 20 years and have seen a grand total of,I think, 2 rifles that had sheared off the factory 6-48 screws. And ZERO that have sheared off 8-40s. Not to say it cant happen, but….

And this will be a heavy 15-16 lb rifle and will have a brake as well, so recoil wont really be super heavy. If it was a 5-6lb rifle with a heavy scope and heavy recoil, maybe. But totally unnecessary for this one.