Big Game Hunting with a 44 revolver?

cnelk

WKR
New addition to the family - Ruger 44mag New Model Super Blackhawk - 7 1/2" barrel

Ive shot a pile of big game with rifles, MLs and bows and was thinking it would be a neat adventure to hunt with a pistol.

Anyone do this? What loads did you use? What is your effective range?

Thanks

N2TRKYS

WKR
My first pistol purchase was a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag with a 7.5" barrel. I've only killed a couple of whitetails with mine. I haven't hunted with it much. I shot factory loads. I can't remember which, but it was 240 grain projectiles. 100 yards was my farthest shot.

Pgohil

WKR
Love that pistol!
I have a new model Blackhawk Bisley Hunter 44msg with a 2x7 Bushnell. Accuracy beyond my wildest dreams. When I do my part I shoot 2" groups at 100 and 4' at 200. Recoil is a lot motor than I expected. I think the weight of the scope helps it a bunch. I also found that shooting with a very thin leather glove really helped my groups tighten up as well.

Hornady XTP 240gr is what I put through it.
I have killed several deer with it, including an 8 point at 138 yards and a doe at 172. I think the biggest issue is energy lost the further you go out. Past 200 things start getting dicey.

The factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired for, I have polished mine some and done what's called the poor boy trigger job which is simply unhooking one side of the spring. Huge difference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
I've hunted quite a bit with a .44 handgun among other handguns. My favorite load is a 300gr hardcast over a max charge of H110. I cast my own using the Lee 310gr gas check mold and wheel weights. If I use a jacketed bullet, it is usually a Hornady XTP 300gr or a Swift A-frame 300gr. Hardcast run about 1425fps, and jacketed scoot out around 1325fps. 6" barrel. Not all revolvers will shoot lead cast well, so YMMV. On game performance between cast and jacketed is about the same in my experience.

I'll warn you that these loads will beat the hell out of you. If you have not been a large bore revolver shooter, get some light factory 200-240gr loads, and work on your form before you step up to a stouter load. Really pay attention to a consistent grip, and trigger control. Factory 240gr loads will do a good job on deer/black bear out to 100 yards. I like the heavier bullet for off angle shots, but the 240 is what made the .44 name and it is effective.

Max effective range depends on the sights. My 2X scoped revolvers are good to 150 yards. With irons, I can only do 100, maybe 125.

Of the factory loads out there, Buffalo Bore, Underwood and Double Tap are the best IMO.

Jeremy

I've since traded off the Desert Eagle, but it was a heck of a deer getter.
T4oYnKr.jpg

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, something different spices things up a bit.

It will be like archery hunting....just seeing them at 400yds....now the hunt starts!

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, Ive had big bore pistols before and they can sure rock!

I also reload 44 mag since I have a Marlin 44 lever gun

Looking forward to doing something with it

I have hunted exclusively with a revolver here in Alaska since the early 70s.
Most of that has been with the .44 mag.
With the correct bullets, it is a very effective large game cartridge, including moose, bears, etc.
Folks that doubt it's effectiveness as a bear cartridge have never witnessed the results of a properly placed and properly constructed bullet on large game.
A 300 gr hardcast bullet will go stem to stern through any grizzly.

Last edited:

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have shot several deer, elk, and bears with 44 revolvers, mostly in the 80s/90s. I mainly used shorter barrels so I didn’t try 300 gr bullets because of my thought that velocities would be too low (no chronograph then). I liked 245 gr hard cast semi-wadcutters on elk and jacketed hollowpoints on deer and bear. Even out of a 4” barrel, I would get exit holes on broadside elk with the cast bullets.

If I were working up a new all around hunting load now, I think I would try Swift A-Frames.

I used to limit my range with a revolver and iron sights to about 75 yards. Now, with older eyes, I am down to about 50.

elkguide

WKR
As long as you understand your limitations, distance and anatomy, a .44 Mag is a great choice.

Redhawk user here.

Sodbuster

WKR
Backed down from a 475 Linebaugh using Cape Buffalo loads to a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley.Much more fun to shoot.

I have all the components but am still shooting 240 grain factory ammo. I am minute of Whitetail with a red dot scope.

As mentioned above by Pgohil, the poor boy trigger job works great.

Wrench

WKR
I have a scoped 460xvr and super redhawk in 44mag to shove through some critters yet.

howl

WKR
Realistic range for most people is about 125 yards with lots of practice. The limit isn't the guns or even the loads, it is the shooter. There are some very good shooters who can do some amazing things with revolvers. I am not one. I can hit out to 250 with a scoped 629, but that is targets, not animals. When you look at trajectory and placing shots with irons under stress, 125 becomes a reasonable limit.

I was never impressed with cast lead performance other than penetration. If you need lots of penetration that is the way to go. And you don't have to get it moving too fast, either. For deer and black bear I suggest a standard load 240gr XTP. That'll do what a .44 will do and it is easy to live with.

The real hurdle is finding time to put several hundred rounds down range to learn to shoot the thing. I think I shot a box a week over a summer to get to where I was confident.

Wrench

WKR
The good news is that the 22lr and 44 mag are so close in ballistic performance that you can get cheap practice at range with the lil' guy.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
I have two loads for my 44 rifle that shoot really well in that.

1 - 280gr cast lead bullet pushed by 20gr H110

2 - 225gr Hornady FTX pushed by 21.5gr H110

Im hoping these will transfer over to the revolver with good results

Wapiti1

WKR
Those should have you covered. I've never used the FTX line o' bullets. How do they perform out of your rifle?

Have fun with it. Good luck.

Jeremy