Owner of Deadhorse Outfitters LLC charged with outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license

From the local newspaper:
Big game hunters told troopers in September 2021 that they had rented equipment from Deadhorse Outfitters LLC at mile 366.5 of the Dalton Highway. They reported that they rented drop camp equipment for approximately $300.
Callison, 44, was charged on June 22, 2022, and July 8, 2022, with felony perjury, four counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license, and violating probation conditions.

Callison pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license.
Judge Ben Seekins sentenced Callison to one year of probation and a $20,000 fine.

AKBorn

WKR
From the local newspaper:
Big game hunters told troopers in September 2021 that they had rented equipment from Deadhorse Outfitters LLC at mile 366.5 of the Dalton Highway. They reported that they rented drop camp equipment for approximately $300.
Callison, 44, was charged on June 22, 2022, and July 8, 2022, with felony perjury, four counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license, and violating probation conditions.

Callison pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of misdemeanor outfitting or advertising a big game hunt without a license.
Judge Ben Seekins sentenced Callison to one year of probation and a $20,000 fine.
Thanks for posting this AK Skeeter, good to get these guys out in the open.

Seriously? I'd love to read that story! lol Have any links to news articles?

From my understanding where they got into a bind was a “transporter” cannot rent equipment to the people they are transporting.
This guys wife, son, or best friend, could rent out equipment and all is well. He does it and it’s a misdemeanor. Seems like a silly technicality, but rules are rules I guess.

YellCoAR

Lil-Rokslider
I meat him last year. Seems like a nice guy. He was very helpful to us and did not expect a dime. The lines between a transporter and guide seem pretty strict. I am willing to bet he continues to get his self in trouble more trying to help people than make money off them.

AKjon

FNG
From my understanding where they got into a bind was a “transporter” cannot rent equipment to the people they are transporting.
This guys wife, son, or best friend, could rent out equipment and all is well. He does it and it’s a misdemeanor. Seems like a silly technicality, but rules are rules I guess.
This is interesting, because they are still advertising equipment rentals with their DIY hunts under the Deadhorse Outfitters name

*edit* disregard. I wasn't looking close enough. It does appear they spun off the gear rentals into a separate business (although they only rent gear to their clients) "Deadhorse Outfitters Rentals LLC" vs "Deadhorse Outfitter LLC" All about dotting I's and crossing T's I guess. $20k lesson learned.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Man that sounds way too harsh for the crime, but with such a short clip I probably do not know much of the real story. Even if there were some probation conditions, which are not stated, renting out some camping equipment is considered outfitting? If I rented a tent of mine to some hiker going to Alaska I would be committing a felony?

Man that sounds way too harsh for the crime, but with such a short clip I probably do not know much of the real story. Even if there were some probation conditions, which are not stated, renting out some camping equipment is considered outfitting? If I rented a tent of mine to some hiker going to Alaska I would be committing a felony?
I am not an expert on this ………or really anything, but it is my understanding the problem lies with Hook being the transporter as well as owner of the rental company.
You could rent equipment to whoever as long as you don’t transport them into the field.
He is no longer an owner of the rental company, so hopefully he can keep his name out of the headlines.

Novashooter

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, that makes more sense. I didn't realize he also did transporting. That might explain the previous probation.