What shotgun

PAAnn

FNG
I'm looking at buying a new shotgun for Turkey hunting. I currently use a very old, but reliable 12 gauge that belongs to a friend. But, i'd like to have my own. What do you all use?

Thanks
Ann

OP
P

PAAnn

FNG
But, i'm still curious what others use and in what configuration.

topher89

WKR
I don't have a dedicated turkey gun at the moment. I use a 28 inch Remington Wingmaster in 12ga for everything. So far it has taken two turkeys in the last three seasons.

My plan is to buy a semi-auto shotgun for general use and turn the Wingmaster into a dedicated turkey gun. I would put a shorter barrel (21-24inches) and a tight choke on it and call it good.

I don't see the need for a semi-auto turkey gun. The shooting isn't fast and furious like dove hunting. A pump action won't be a limiting factor.

Shrek

WKR
PAAnn , stick to your idea of a semi auto. Gas operated. As a woman it is very likely you don't have the body mass or muscle to take the beating a locked action shotgun will dish out. I haven't bought one in many years so I'm not up on the latest models but a plain Remington 11-87 in 20ga with a turkey barrel and a 26" wing shooting barrel will make you very happy. If you are on the petite side try out a youth model.

I use an Ithaca 37 Turkeyslayer with a 24" barrel. Once I get the funding I will get the same model in 20ga with a 18.5" barrel.
The Winchester SX3 is a nice semi auto and throws a nice pattern. The Mossberg 935 is not as nicely finished, but throws a nice pattern as well.

Rs3003

WKR
I use a semi 10ga. Remington SP-10. It weighs 10lbs and have shot (and killed) a couple turkeys at 75 yards. Is a 3 1/2" shell. I never had a problem with it. I don't know if they still make it. I feels its a good spring turkey gun to post up with, not for a spot and stalk.

NEhunter

WKR
I use a win super x2 3.5" for waterfowl, turkeys and any time the weather sucks. Have beat that gun beyond belief and it still functions great.

OP
P

PAAnn

FNG
Thanks for the responses. I think I'd like to stay under :$1500.00

Graindrain

Lil-Rokslider
For a turkey gun, and all around great gun that fits children, women, men, left or right handed and is ideal for multiple situations look at a Browning BPS. It is a pump though (BPS-Browning Pump Shotgun).

It fits your budget, you could buy two with your budget
Comes in youth and full size
12 or 20 gauge
Multiple barrel lengths
ejects out of the bottom so both lefties and righties can shoot it.
pump- less likely to fail
Camo, black, and wood finishes

I know you said semi, but give them a look.

charvey9

WKR
A good budget gun is the Weatherby TK-459. I have two, one in 12 and one in 20. Swap chokes to a cyliinder bore and they double for home defense.

duchntr

WKR
Thanks for the responses. I think I'd like to stay under :$1500.00

Thats enough money to get a lot of shotgun. Not sure if you want to do any other types of hunting but you would do well with a waterfowl type shotgun (synthetic) and use it for everything from upland to turkeys. The best thing you could do is go to cabelas or similar and pick up some shotguns, as a gal you might have a shorter l.o.p so you need to figure out if you need to shop for a youth or woman sized gun. Heres a good classified that has some killer prices.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewforum.php?f=74&sid=e8557d2626212dd170d7d6e202a5a401

topher89

WKR
My wife has a 20 gauge Weatherby pump shotgun. Hers is the PA-08 Upland with a 26in barrel. It was relatively cheap but we both love it, beautiful wood. I used it two years ago on a dove/fall turkey hunt and took a turkey with some 3" shells.

With today's technology and loads, a 20 gauge is a great 40yd turkey killer.

woods89

WKR
If you decide to look into a pump don't discount the 20ga. A 12 ga pump is going to kick pretty hard.

My turkey gun is a youth model Rem 870 20 ga that I bought very used when I was about 12 or 13. I paid $80 Bucks for it and have since put about $50 into it in a choke, sling, etc. For $130 it sure lays them low when they get inside 35 yards! And I can strap it onto my pack and not worry about it getting scratched lol!

OP
P

PAAnn

FNG
Just got back from two gun shops. I like the way the Benelli Vinci and the Super black eagle feels as well as the Browning Silver. All 12 ga semi's. I also like the feel of the Remington Versamax, but coming off of a very poor quality rifle ( my husbands) I kind of don't want to buy a new model Remington. I want to find an Ithaca dealer and check them out to. I'd like to buy American but that option seems limited.

PNWGATOR

WKR
One that fits.

Aside from that, any of the guns you mentioned would be great. The Versamax is a great autoloader. Check the Benelli Ultralight. Also, look at the Beretta offerings.

cg2737

WKR
I use the Ithaca Turkey slayer in 12 gauge but it has substantial recoil. I purchased a Benelli Nova pump for my son in 20 ga. He has taken two turkeys in two years, one at 37 and one at 43 yards.