12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge for bird hunting

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I have both a 12 & 20 gauge, I've used both for deer hunting being that I live in a shotgun state, and I've found a 20 gauge slug appears to shoot a little flatter and get a few more yards out of it compared to a 12. Plus it's definitely a lighter gun. For small game, a 20 gauge is my choice, but for birds, definitely a 12 is what I bring.

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
12 or 20?

Do you want to kill more birds or fewer birds?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Riplip

WKR
20 Guage O/U for almost everything except maybe Geese or late season ducks. I have never felt under gunned and rarely use magnum loads. Just more fun to carry and to shoot.

As others have said, a 20 will do just fine on birds. A lot has to do with what style of hunting you’re doing as well. If you’ll be sitting in a ground blind, why worry about the weight savings of the 20 vs the 12 gauge since it won’t be carried while in the blind. If your going to carry a big enough pistol capable of stopping a bear than I’d say 20. If no pistol, 12 gauge is what I’d go with

BRoth82

WKR
I've used both and I prefer a light weight 20 gauge that you can swing faster on birds. But I'm mostly hunting pheasants.

gostovp

WKR
My go to all day walking for pheasants gun is a Franchi 20 gauge that I load with 3” Prairie Storm.

i own 2 O/U, a side by side, pump, and semiauto 20ga. and 2 semiauto 12ga. i havent pulled the 12ga's out in a long time to hunt with. mostly loan them to people to shoot skeet or hunt with me.
I have a tundra swan hunt this month and will be taking a 20ga.

for bear defense... get a pistol. bird shots gonna piss them off and your likely not going to have enough time to load buckshot or a slug if you need it.

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I started out with a 12 gauge and now hunt with a 20 and would like to go to a 28 some day. Sounds like you are going to use it for everything under the sun bear defense, upland birds?, waterfowl?, and deer. So I would go a 12 ga. One day you will find yourself buying a 20 for the upland birds. Have fun and get out there! Don’t over think it to much

Artanis95

Lil-Rokslider
An ounce and an eighth of shot is an ounce and an eighth of shot no matter the diameter of the bore. First gun in my opinion should always be a 12 gauge with a good variety of chokes if you are blowing up birds open up the choke spread out that pattern and kill more birds but my biggest thing right now is cost I can get a greater variety of munitions off the shelf at half the cost for a 12 gauge than the same or comparable load in a 20.

My 12s don't leave the gun safe except for cleaning anymore, pretty well shoot a 20 for all, geese on down to quail.

Mike307

FNG
I’ve switched to Beretta ultra light 391 in 20 ga. It’s a lot easier to carry on those long walks. I hunt huns, chukars, sharptails and pheasants with it and don’t feel limited except late season when i switch to heavier loads.

mjh

FNG
I have a couple of 20's. Nothing fancy but I like them. They are my main grouse getters. I would like a nicer 20 double. I do have a 100 year old Steven 520 in 12. I was told it took many pheasants back in the day. The 520 is in good working order after a trip to the smith, I'd have to make a plug for it if I was to take it out for some hunting.

TSAMP

WKR
What is most folks threshold for lightweight 12 ga over unders? What's considered too light? I hunt with a CZ drake 20 that's around 6.2 lbs. I see some alloy 12 ga at that same weight or below. I am considering a Rizzini 110 or Browning feather to add a 12 ga to my arsenal.

My Benelli Ethos 12 gauge no longer see’s any action since I switched to my CZ WOODCOCK 20 gauge over/under. There is just something nostalgic about an 20 gauge over/under and it’s really nice to pack. My vote for upland game birds is a 20 gauge.