Knee pads

muddydogs

WKR
I can't do the crawling deal anymore as my knee's are trashed, wondering what a good low profile easy to wear knee pad is? They will be used mostly for antelope hunting when a guy needs to crawl around the rocky sage brush country.

I can't hardly stand wearing the construction type knee pads I have, I find then hot and uncomfortable just using them around the house so I was hoping that there was a better version for hunting and light hiking.

boom

WKR
mine are discontinued. very similar to construction type, but camo. more lightweight and compact. and the knee puck (it came with two) choices are a hard rubber strip and a hard plastic cup. i lost the plastic ones immediately. too loud.

i'll find them tonight and snap a pic. very effective. i even wear them when i am loading my truck. with a cap-topper, i have to crawl in to organize the load. even that hurts my surgery scar on my knee.

i keep them in my pack. when i need them, i wear them around my ankles and pull them up when the time comes.

nrh6.7

WKR
arcteryx is what Snyder has used for years.

I have these and used them on my WY antelope hunt earlier this month. They worked great and were comfortable to wear. Worked great when quartering also. I have bad knees also and these were a life saver!

LostArra

WKR
I've hunted with an old timer in Wyoming who uses 20 year old wrestling knee pads. They are down around his ankles until the crawl begins. Volleyball knee pads would work too and are lower profile.

I've liked the built-in pads in my Core 4 pants.

#1antler

Lil-Rokslider
Arcteryx knee pads are by far the best and lightest knee pads I have ever found. Last forever, wearable all day while hiking. Only downside is over time the elastic straps become weak. I have simply sewn new straps on to keep going.

boom

WKR
the Arceteryx version. i am pretty sure those are the ones my brother brought along. (his were black).

they made such a racket crawling on the rocks and shale in AZ. probably be pretty effective in the plains, and woods tho.

OP
M

muddydogs

WKR
the Arceteryx version. i am pretty sure those are the ones my brother brought along. (his were black).

they made such a racket crawling on the rocks and shale in AZ. probably be pretty effective in the plains, and woods tho.

I was thinking that most of the ones with plastic cups would be noisy crawling around in the rocks.

I found a pair on Amazon I might try, there not Arceteryx but I'm not wanting to spend $60 on a pair of knee pads that will only be used for antelope hunting a few times a year especially when the Arceteryx look to be about the same as most $20 pads. They might be a bit longer then cheaper pads but they all seem to be built out of the same material with the same knee cups.

Dave23

FNG
Ive been using under armour Vball knee pads the past 5 years in WY for antelope. They're lightweight, cheap, and work well. I have to pick cactus quills out after the hunt sometimes.

I see guys I work with wearing construction kneepads, and often wonder why they don't wear the gel filled neoprene knee sleeves under their pants. Seems like they'd be more comfortable, but I'm more of a squatter than a kneeler so I cant speak from experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Randle

WKR
I use asics Volley ball every day for work , they are a touch thicker then UA, $19 well spent.

pkp851

Lil-Rokslider
I got some some fairly cheap Emerson tactical knee pads from amazon and had a local seamstress sew some pockets in my pants. This setup works great and the rubber protects from cactus while crawling.

*zap*

WKR
I wear combat pants at work/outdoor play, they have built in exterior knee pad holders, good pockets, wick fairly well and wear very well. The downside is comments about the camo. I double the foam inserts. Never have found a comfortable/stay in place strap on knee pad. Maybe I will try Arc'teryx.

GotDraw?

WKR
@conundrum - I agree 100%!!, Black Diamond Telekneesis are the best. Use them over rain gear, pants, bare knees in shorts. They are lightweight totally comfortable.

***I also note that some folks like pants with built in knee pads, but my 2 cents is that those leave a hunter w/o knee pads to protect rain gear and w/o pads to protect knees on hot days in shorts.

JL

- - - Updated - - -

*zap*

WKR
Arc'teryx pads will be here by Monday. I will give them a test at work and report in here with what I think.

- - - Updated - - -

Arc'teryx knee pads came today. Wore them for 5 hrs kneeling while putting thin brick on a concrete patio. They never moved around. Probably best knee pads I have used, will try them tomorrow over base layer and under pant. Appreciate the recommendation. Thanks.

BuckSnort

WKR
I see guys I work with wearing construction kneepads, and often wonder why they don't wear the gel filled neoprene knee sleeves under their pants. Seems like they'd be more comfortable, but I'm more of a squatter than a kneeler so I cant speak from experience.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The gel type of knee pads are comfortable for a few days until the gel pushes out of the way then they suck lol.. For what its worth, anyone on their knees working (I'm a flooring contractor) you can't beat Proknees , they are $200+ but worth their weight in gold..

Model 0714 Standard Professional Knee Pads ProKnee