E-Scouting fundamentals for mule deer?

mvmnts

WKR
This is my second year in Colorado hunting elk and my first for mule deer. I have a second season rifle buck tag. I've mainly been focused on elk this year and have found an absolute plethora of great information on hunting elk. What are some good foundational resources for a new mule deer hunter? A lot of the books and materials I have seen have focused on taking trophy animals. I would be thrilled with any legal buck, what are some good things I could read or watch to learn about the species in general. I believe I need to employ a glassing strategy, but I would love to find information on how to identify likely buck habitat online so I have a few places to check out in the next few weeks.

It wasn't until after purchasing the tag that I went and did some reading and I've learned a few things. Second season is considered by some or many to be the toughest season to hunt, and bucks are between their summer pattern and the rut. They are shifting into their fall/winter coat and are moving down out of the high country into timber where they basically stay holed up all day until the rut winds up. Finding them means lots of diligent scouting and glassing early and late hours. I'm guessing they will be bedded up in timber next to food and water sources right at the edge of treeline or just below it. I definitely haven't put a lot of time into learning how to hunt them and didn't appreciate how hard it would be until after I purchased the tag. I don't have high expectations, but it would be a huge help to understand where they like to live during second season so I can make a list of spots to visit.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Don't discount 2nd season - I've had good luck hunting it and you get to hunt good units more often; your basically getting first chance at the bucks. Everything depends on weather; if there's little snow, I'd focus on the 9,000 - 10,500 elevation, basically pine to aspen transition. If there's good snow in the high country, look into the south facing aspen up high or aspen/oak brush transition zone (7,000 - 8,000 ft.). There will always be exception to this elevation guideline, especially for the larger bucks (I shot one of my bigger deer at 11,500 during a warm 2nd season). Get off the 4 wheeler and hike a ridge or two, and be patient and ready to shoot into the aspens - you need to be ready to set up a shot quickly. Also, check out the CPW website maps, they show the major migration routes from the high country to the wintering areas.

jmike

FNG
You should pick up a copy of Robby Dennings book. Hunting big Mule Deer.' I am half way thru it again prepping for my upcoming first hunt in Idaho.'

I shot my first deer when I was 12 and now at 52 I have shot over 20 bucks and this book has tons of tips ,technique and insight. Reading this will only make you better.......IMO.

Oh ya and Robby is the owner of Rokslide too....

Mike

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks jmike, and good advice by COSA.

And one big snowstorm and second season can be better than third season.

As far as the e-scouting , I would call the biologist and ask him for specific areas where he knows bucks are staging and using in second season. Then pull that up on Google earth, noting the colors and tones of the vegetation, and obviously the type of terrain. Then just look for other places in the unit with similar characteristics.

I love e-scouting but you can spend way too much time doing it, Just get a good feel for where bucks have been killed,and then when you get there get on the ground and start looking at those areas at least that’s what worked for me.

And last thing, let us know how you do, would love to see new buck hunters learning this stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second for the book, it's great. I got my first mule deer repellent this year too. Last hunt opening morning first light there were 2 watching us from about 85 yards uphill of camp. I would have shot either in a heart beat being a mule deer novice. They stuck around for about 10 min until we started walking toward them and then just walked off. I have a feeling it's not going down like that this year. Good luck!

jmike

FNG
E-scouting can help alot..... BUT. I have been doing more than my fair share of staring at the computer screen this year.I have been looking for a spot to take my son in Oregon since he cant make the Idaho trip with us. Well today I hit the road and drove to the spot I wanted to check out and what looked great on the computer wasn't much of a road to drive in on. It was more of a goat trail.My big truck was too wide so I am hoping to back this weekend with the Toyota or maybe a bike and see if I can make it all the way in.

Mike

OP
mvmnts

mvmnts

WKR
Thanks everybody! I almost deleted this thread thinking I was being lazy and could find info elsewhere. Maybe that is true, but I really appreciate all the good advice. I already have a copy of Robby's book and I'm working through it, but I haven't dedicated a lot of time to reading and with all the stories in it, I am making slow progress. I will get to it and finish it up!

Thanks everybody! I almost deleted this thread thinking I was being lazy and could find info elsewhere. Maybe that is true, but I really appreciate all the good advice. I already have a copy of Robby's book and I'm working through it, but I haven't dedicated a lot of time to reading and with all the stories in it, I am making slow progress. I will get to it and finish it up!

Do it! It's worth it!

When scouting on the computer or in the field, is it more common that deer feed in more brushy areas and not straight timber above 7000 ft?

To me, it seems they like to bed in tall, thick or blow down timber and they feed in a nearby green and brushy field such as one found in a creek draw.

I own Robbie's book but my hardest challenge is findings a particular section (square mile) that holds bucks. There is a lot of country here in California Sierra's.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The best way to narrow down big country is by talking to hunters willing to share where exactly bucks have been killed and scout/hunt there. That’s how I found some of my initial areas and then I looked for similar areas