Idaho Unit 11 Mule Deer

Retired

FNG
I just got my tag for unit 11 and just trying to see if I can get any helpful tips about the area. I have a late season tag Nov 10 - Nov 24. I will be going up there in Oct to get some scouting in. I am trying to figure out the best strategy for the area. I was thinking of hiking and setting camp for a however many days it takes.

Last edited:

Zbowman1

WKR
Almost started a thread for the same unit. I drew the early tag though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16

FNG
Did you guys have any success?
I drew the oct 10 to Nov 9th tag

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Where are you located? What is your plan of attack? Sometimes closer to town is more productive.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I had the late tag in 2013. I hunted from the river and from the top. We saw lots of bucks but no whoppers. Based on photos I have seen, there are some really nice bucks running around there. Some were from public land and some were from private property (both closer to Lewiston and on the Salmon side). The country is really neat.

Do you have access to a jet boat? That would open up some opportunities. There will also be elk hunters running around during your hunt. Many of them will be happy to share info with you about deer they see.

N Corey

FNG
You may want to check your season dates if you think you get until November 9th on a unit 11 tag.

D16

FNG
Well, I drew the non res. Tag. Without knowing anything about the unit.
I’ll be driving up from Southern California (20 hours) and I don’t exactly have a plan from there...

I reached out to a highly recommended guide that I simply just can not afford, guided isn’t an option. I like DIY hunting and don’t mind putting in the work. Should be able to hunt for 5 days. My goal is to shoot a 160 or bigger buck.

I have two potential options.

1. Park my truck at the top hunting my way down. Successful or not once I am at the bottom call in a pick Up from a jet boat via my Sat phone. Then the jet boat operator will drive me up to my truck. He’s offered this on call Uber service for $800.

2. Park somewhere at the top hunting the higher ground and staying relatively close to my vehicle so I could relocate trying new ground if needed.

I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited:

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If your truck is a decent 4x4 and not a pavement princess, you can take Zaza road to Eagle Creek road and head toward the salmon on Eagle creek Road. Its got some gnarly areas but if you take your time you can make it all the way down to the salmon. I've been on the river both on jetboats and whitewater rafts many times. Its not very high elevation, but I would make my way almost to the salmon river. Your best bet will be to sidehill the breaks, hope your in shape! And find a good glassing point. I'll be down in there for the wifes mid November cow elk tag.

I've seen some monster mule deer on the salmon and snake. One year, while rafting through a forest fire in unit 11, we saw a ridiculous amount of game. the fire pushed them to the edge of the river.