New bino help

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking st the Zeiss Conquest, Leica Trinovid, Meopta Meostar, Maven B1, Kowa Genesis and Leupold BX5 Santiam. Can get them each in 10x42 (or equivalent) for $1,000-$1,100. Leaning toward the Leica. Any comments on users who compared the above and chose one? I’ve eliminated the new Vortex Razor in 10x42 and the Sig Zulu9 as well as Swarovski SLC for price (Swarovski) or performance.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I think you'll find that the Kowa is the top of your list and $1150.00 for their 10.5x44 is a steal, assuming it's new.

Please feel free to give us a call to discuss these options

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve narrowed my choices to only 3:
1. Leica Trinovid
2. Zeiss Conquest
3. Vortex Razor

All in 10x42. Will first use them on a n elk hunt in a few weeks. Don’t know which I’ll pick. Live elminnated the other options for various reasons. Anyone narrow to these three and pick one? If so, pros or cons would be great to know. Thank you.

manitou1

WKR
The Kowas don't have the ability to use normal binocular tripod mounts, so that ruled them out for me.
I scrubbed reviews daily for three months on hunting and birder forums, etc. Ended up odering the Meopta Meostar 10x42 from Doug at Cameraland. I have not recieved them yet and am about as antsy as can be! :) Lots of folks say they are nearly as good as the Swaros, some say equal and some say better. Pretty impressive reviews for quite a bit less than the SLCs, IMO. I like the build of them. They seem like one tough bino when looking at them. I never had the chance to compare side-by-side to the alphas outside in limited light, but many reviews peg them as exceptional. I ordered from Doug since they have a good reputaion AND they price them a good bit lower for Rokslide members if you call him or Joel.
Most sxs comparisons with the Razors I have seen put thee Meoptas well above the Razors.

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
The meopta is a great choice! Superior glass/build from anything vortex.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Several very close friends who have all use Swaro recommend the Vortex Razor in 10x42. All had good things to say which surprised me. All said they were impressed and that says a lot. Not as good as their Swaros but they all mentioned I should really consider them.

Currently, I’m leaning toward the Zeiss. According the website they have German glass. In all the reviews I’ve seen, the comments show the prims are well regarded and that Zeiss’ coatings seem to work well. All this in a magnesium chassis with rubber coatings and a lifetime transferable warranty where the first 5 year are no fault warranty. Impressive.

I’ll look again at meopta but not in love with the ergonomics and don’t know that i see a difference with the others. I like the people at Leupold and had gone into this thinking I’d get the new Santiam with the calcium fluoride ED glass and well regarded prisms. But cannot find any reviews in 10x42. None.

manitou1

WKR
I love my Leupold VX5 hd scopes. Tried the BX4 hd binos and they were actually outclassed by my 10+ year old $200.00 Cascades on side by side comparisons off my tripod. I don't know if I got a bad pair mailed to me, but I sent them back and went with Meoptas.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve narrowed my choices to only 3:
1. Leica Trinovid
2. Zeiss Conquest
3. Vortex Razor

All in 10x42. Will first use them on a n elk hunt in a few weeks. Don’t know which I’ll pick. Live elminnated the other options for various reasons. Anyone narrow to these three and pick one? If so, pros or cons would be great to know. Thank you.

If you are set on one of these three may I suggest you go with the Leica? I think you'll find both optically as well as construction wise it to be the leader of these three options.
Please feel free to give us a call to discuss this if you have a few moments.
Doug
516-217-1000

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I picked the Zeiss. But and it’s a big BUT, spent yesterday with a buddy who is a serious bird watching enthusiast. He exclusively uses Swarovski binos and scopes (multiple pairs of binos and several scopes). Yesterday, he told me that he is trying out and reviewing several of the newer brands and is very impressed with; Maven B2, Tract Toric, German Presion Optics Passion HD and Stryka S9. All in 10x42. He is quite intense talking about optics and has said he was very surprised by all 4 but particularly by the Maven and the Tract. Suggested I should consider returning the Zeiss and reconsidering one of these. So, I’m debtating what to do. I’ll update this thread I’ve figured it out.

Anyone have experience with the four above? Maven appears popular but I don’t see much about the other three except on birding forums. Not sure I’m comfortable with newer companies yet but I could get there if I know more. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Doug - I’ll call you.

I love my maven 10x42, I owned the Vortex Razor 1-x42 and sold them after using side by side with the mavens under hunting conditions. Razors aren't that great.

OP
S

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tested and demo’d many options. Finally rethought my earlier decision. I’m down to three options; Nikon Monarch HG 10x42(having trouble finding them in stock at a good price so probably won’t go with Nikon), Maven B2 in 11x45 or the Zeiss Conquest HD 10x42.

I go on an elk hunt Wednesday. So will have to get them by Tuesday. I’ll post after I return from my hunt with what I used and how they worked out.

jchunter

FNG
Stingray, please give an update after you have had some time to review them. I'm thinking of picking up a pair this winter.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk