Review: Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5x8x32, by Robby Denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hi all,
ran this scope through the ringer last fall. Here's my final report. Best Vortex glass I've tested yet. There's also a 3-15x42 and a 2-10x40 available
Review: Vortex HD LH Razor 1.5-8x32 Riflescope

Last edited:

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thank you for the write up

Yesterday, after reading your article and doing some research, I bought the 2-10x40 w/ HSR-4.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Doc, I think you'll be happy with that scope. Since that review, I saw the scope you bought at the Salt Lake expo, looks like I'll be putting same scope on my 270 WSM. Would like to hear your thoughts after you receive yours and have a chance to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing that has always kept me from buying Vortex riflescopes is their weight. I don't question their value or their warranty but invariably they are 20-25% heavier than comparable Leupolds. My gold standard Leupys for big game hunting for years have been the 1.75-6x32 and the 2.5-8x36. This new scope you reviewed looks like an awesome piece of equipment that Vortex has finally put into a lightweight package. Now the only problem I see is that it costs twice as much as the VXIII 2.5-8x36. Like you said, who needs that last smidgeon of light transmission? If Vortex would build this scope in one of their more moderately priced lines, they might actually give Leupold some competition for those of us that like sub seven lb. rifles built on a working man's budget.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The one thing that has always kept me from buying Vortex riflescopes is their weight. I don't question their value or their warranty but invariably they are 20-25% heavier than comparable Leupolds. My gold standard Leupys for big game hunting for years have been the 1.75-6x32 and the 2.5-8x36. This new scope you reviewed looks like an awesome piece of equipment that Vortex has finally put into a lightweight package. Now the only problem I see is that it costs twice as much as the VXIII 2.5-8x36. Like you said, who needs that last smidgeon of light transmission? If Vortex would build this scope in one of their more moderately priced lines, they might actually give Leupold some competition for those of us that like sub seven lb. rifles built on a working man's budget.

Fair enough Kendall. And I shot that same 2.5-8x for years. The Vortex seems brighter and clearer going from memory. Would like to put these two brands head-to-head and see if the price difference shows up in all performance categories like clarity, etc. I just checked a few other sources and saw the Vortex 1.5-8x at $749 at its lowest. I agree they're more expensive but would like to see side by side before making a final call. Maybe we'll get the chance. Thanks for your input.

prm

WKR
Bringing this back up. I had an HD LH 1.5-8. Loved the glass and reticle. It failed on my rather snappy recoiling Kimber 84M in 338 Fed. I have a new replacement and considering it for a 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m interested in the durability. Has anyone used one on a heavier recoiling rifle or shot one extensively.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bringing this back up. I had an HD LH 1.5-8. Loved the glass and reticle. It failed on my rather snappy recoiling Kimber 84M in 338 Fed. I have a new replacement and considering it for a 6.5 Creedmoor. I’m interested in the durability. Has anyone used one on a heavier recoiling rifle or shot one extensively.

Wow, what a bummer that failed. I’m still shooting this one on the same muzzleloader, 240 grain bullets and no problems at all for me. And I added the 2 to 10x version of the scope on to my 270 Winchester short mag, 140 grain bullets. https://www.rokslide.com/vortex-razor-hd-light-hunter-2-10x40-riflescope-review/
No problems there, either. But neither of those guns would kick like that 338 in a lightweight Kimber.
I cannot imagine that the scope would have any problem with the 6.5 creed. I’m shocked it couldn’t handle the 338

prm

WKR
Thanks Robby. Maybe I’ll find a home for it on a 6.5 and shoot it A LOT to regain confidence in the scope. If it’s working fine on a 270 WSM the 6.5 CM should be no issue at all.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Robby. Maybe I’ll find a home for it on a 6.5 and shoot it A LOT to regain confidence in the scope. If it’s working fine on a 270 WSM the 6.5 CM should be no issue at all.
and my 270 WSM weighs less than 6lbs 4oz before scope, so it's not absorbing much recoil

prm

WKR
Cougarvan and 6.5x284, what kind of shot counts are on the scope/rifle? Couple hundred or less or a solid 500 or 1000+? Thanks!