The 'BEST' Binoculars

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
There isn't any such thing as "the best" binoculars, too much depends on the user's eyes and their ability perceive light and color. Mechanically you could say that one brand or another is better but not optically, the user might not be able to discern the differences between "the best" binocular and a cheaper pair.

Yeah, I stated that in my first post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
People ask me every week, what is the best binocular for this price range or will you do a podcast on the best binocular. So I want to kind of have a place to steer them to with this post. The fact is no one has any idea what the BEST binocular is for you and the more I hunt with different people the more I realize this fact. So if you don't mind please post below you're favorite bino's in the five price ranges. Now I need your honest opinion, not I just pulled them out of the box and they are the greatest or I got them for free/discount so I have to say they are the BEST:) And to simplify I'm talking binoculars you carry and use in a bino pouch, not 15 or 20 power binoculars. If you can't hit all five groups that's fine just tell us what you can.

Over $2000
Swarovski EL 12x50 Carried them on almost every hunt for the last three years.

Over $1500
Swarovski SLC 10x42 Like with the ELs, I just love the softer color(yellowish tint maybe) Swaro uses. Makes animals pop out when glassing.

Over $1000
Maven B2 11x45 I would pick them over the SLC if they had a better depth of field. But I'm a sucker for high Magnification.

Over $500
MeoStar B1 10x42 Might be higher if they didn't feel like I was holding a brick.

Under $500
Maven C.1 10x42 IMO nothing touches these binoculars for under $800 bucks.

I have a brand new pair of SLC HD 15x56. Been considering selling them and getting the 12x50 EL. The issue I have is the 15 is not hand holdable and I don't want to carry 10's, 15's and a spotter. If I already have the 10x42 SLC is there enough difference going to the 12x50 EL to be worth it if money is not an issue? I glass off a tripod a lot so I suspect yes.

Trial153

WKR
My 12x ELs are the best game finding glass I ever sat behind. That includes all the current Zeiss and Lecia offerings. Zeiss Hts and SF ....would be next. I only wish could use them the 12els freehand.
These would be my choice in the above 2k glass.

Mid priced I haven’t used better then SLC, I have 10x42s and they are excellent, ergonomicly nothing suits me better no matter what price. Lecia Ultra vids are really close but if I recall they retail for more the the SLC.

Low priced around 1k ...glass I don’t think you’d find better then Zeiss conquest HD or Lecia triavids.

I have a brand new pair of SLC HD 15x56. Been considering selling them and getting the 12x50 EL. The issue I have is the 15 is not hand holdable and I don't want to carry 10's, 15's and a spotter. If I already have the 10x42 SLC is there enough difference going to the 12x50 EL to be worth it if money is not an issue? I glass off a tripod a lot so I suspect yes.

I made the switch from 10x42 SLCs to 12x50 ELs in November and have been happy so far. When making the switch, I was worried about being able to occasionally hand-hold the 12's steady, losing FOV, and if the performance of the EL's would be worth the difference.

I love the 12x off a tripod and don't struggle to hold them steady by grabbing a hat brim or steadying my elbows on something. I am self-admittedly a pretty shaky person to boot.

With the edge sharpness on the EL's compared to the SLC's, I would be surprised if the usable FOV's were very different on the two binos. I was very impressed with the edge quality of the EL's over the SLC's when compared on a tripod.

As for quality, the 12x EL's are superb. The 12x really shines at finding game over the 10x when you throw them on the tripod. My buddy even decided to make the switch after comparing his 10x42 EL's. The SLC's seem a little brighter in the center of field and are smaller and lighter, but the EL's are better in every other aspect to my eyes.

As others have said binos are different from user-to-user, but those 12x50 EL's are hard to beat.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I spotted a bear two years ago with the 12s and tried to direct my buddy into the bear, he was using 10slcs. After a couple minutes of trying I looked through his binoculars and the shade was just right and the bear was camouflage. Would he have spotted the bear eventually, IDK. But it made my mind up. It’s really hard to believe 2x more power really matters that much. But to me it does.

Ronb

WKR
I went the other way, like Robby D. Switched from the 10x42slc’s to the 8.5x42 el’s. After using the slc’s on a tripod all year last year, I wanted more fov and er. The extra brightness, fov, steadiness, and eye relief. These things also have a huge depth of field, unlike any bino I’ve ever used. Resolution and sharpness! None better! Only sacrificing 1.5 power, but gaining alot imo. These bins with a 65mm ats, to me is a perfect combo. Until I change my mind!

Last edited:

bates

WKR
I went from Nikon Monarch to Swaro El 12x50 one of the best purchased i've made.

after running them a while i added some 8x32 el's and now feel set bino wise, i just wish someone made a smaller bino system for the 32's

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak for the under $500 group.

The only binos that I have been able to use and see the entire view is the Vortex Diamondback. Yeah cheap I know, but the Vortex eyecups really work well for me wearing glasses. With other binos that have used, I would have to focus them to use without glasses and flip my glasses up every time to use them, otherwise I would never get the full view.

ianpadron

WKR
I can only speak for the under $500 group.

The only binos that I have been able to use and see the entire view is the Vortex Diamondback. Yeah cheap I know, but the Vortex eyecups really work well for me wearing glasses. With other binos that have used, I would have to focus them to use without glasses and flip my glasses up every time to use them, otherwise I would never get the full view.
Everyone starts somewhere my man, my first pair were Diamondbacks too... Keep busting your ass and eventually you'll have some crazy glass too!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
There isn't any such thing as "the best" binoculars, too much depends on the user's eyes and their ability perceive light and color. Mechanically you could say that one brand or another is better but not optically, the user might not be able to discern the differences between "the best" binocular and a cheaper pair.

I'd disagree 95% with this is statement.

A better statement would be many people don't know how to evaluate glass and make choices without knowing what to look for. Optical quality and attributes are easily quantifiable, measured, and evaluated. At that point, it becomes personal preference to a certain extent.

Back to the OP's original statement..

12x50 els above 2k

SLCHD's at the 1500-2000 mark

Leica HDR for the 1000-1500 mark (honestly because I think the Meostars are better than anything in that price point)

Meopta Meostar 10x42hd at the 1k price point

Nikon Monarch 7's at the sub 500 price point

I haven't spent enough time behind the mavens to have an opinion.

freebird

WKR
I would say Ryan's list is spot on. I got to finally check out the Maven binoculars at the Boise sportsman show and was very impressed. Swarovski's are always nice, but I can't afford them. I like Zeiss conquest 10X42's and meopta 10X42's. But come this hunting season I will have a pair of the Maven C1 10X42's.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Resale value has nothing to do with optically quality and viewing pleasure, but its worth noting that nothing re-sales quite like Swarovski. At least in the hunting community. So if you like upgrading every 5-10 years as tech improves or models change, you'll make a good investment with the top end stuff.

That said, buying a lightly used bino at a discount can be a good move as well. I bought my Meopta B1 HDs for $775. I gave them light use and great care for 5 years. Sold them for $750. You can do the math...5 year of bino "rental" for $25. All of this to say - take notice of what used prices are like, and I think you'll see a similar trend. If you want to buy new, buy Swaro green. If you don't mind buying used, then all the others - Leica, Zeiss, Meopta - they tend to hold used value well.

OutdoorAg

WKR
And I'm certain there are exceptions to this, but its just what I've seen overall from watching optics classifieds.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Everyone starts somewhere my man, my first pair were Diamondbacks too... Keep busting your ass and eventually you'll have some crazy glass too!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

No, they were not my first pair, and I have tried others. Just the rubber eye caps on them are the only ones that seem to work for me while wearing glasses. The best glass in the world wouldn't do me any good if I cant see the full image or have to take off my glasses to use them.

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
If one is interested a good site to peruse on bino comps and discussions is birdforum.com. Just about all the advances and improvements done by the alpha bino companies over the years was done to please this crowd first as they are the ones who buy most at the top price level and not us. The bird nerds demand true to life colors and also the flattest fields all the way to the edges. They only have one expensive piece of gear to buy so they tend to go for 'the best'. They prefer 8x as they hand hold longer but the same glass is in the 10x versions of each model that offers the choice.
I think Swaro is the only alpha brand that actually makes a bino specifically for the hunter market = SLC. As mentioned it has a tint that brings out more contrast to help pick out critters that are hiding in their settings. It also lets in a tad bit more light because it dosnet have the field flattening lens. Personally I prefer the El with the flattening lens and 20mm exit pupil. I wear my shades alot of the time while glassing in bright daylight. My shades are glass and have a tint that to me enhances contrast way more than the coating on the slc. Best of both worlds I guess. I use my El for everything not just hunting so thats why I went the EL way. You will find that pretty much every bino that is rated is typically compared to the optical performance of the EL swarovsion as it really does define the best man can make today. But can my eyes or your eyes notice the diff in !% light transmission? doubtful but there more to it than that when looking though the great glass versus the good glass.
The other factors of rating 'the best' are build quality, ergonomics, focus wheel performance, eye cup design, exit pupil and balance. Some of this is more personal than technical.
There are some new comers to the alpa pack that are contenders. Nikon has one as does the new era Zeiss Victory SF. They are also priced in the same outrageous category. Why because thats where swaro is! If they priced for less I honestly believe that the consumer would think they arent as good as the top dog! The Zeiss SF is also considered to be a top contender because it has better balance for long hand hold glassing, a more ergonomic focus wheel( than the swaro/leica) and 15% more fov than those two also.
Also if one dosent know...most of the alpha binos are again made for the bird nerds so they have more turns to focus so as to be more precise to pick out small detail. The only one I know of that has a much quicker less sensitive focus is the slc for obvious reasons.

My rating for 'the best' in top $ category is :

1-Swaro 8x 10x 12x15x
2-Leica 10x and pocket compacts
3-Zeiss (only the new Sf 10x)

And in the same order for resale demand with least depreciation.

If you ever want to buy one of the 3 above never buy one nib. Get an open box demo from a dealer after a show and save 7-800 bucks.

Boy that was a mouthful..sorry!

Last edited:

Vangysway

FNG
I'm going to segway this a bit and if I should move it to a new thread, happy to do so. Rook bowhunter out of So Cal and I recently purchased Vortex Viper HD 10x42. At this time, I can't really afford to buy a top of the line pair of binos and a top of the line spotter. That said, I can get a good deal on a pair of used Swaro SLC HD 10x42. Would it make sense to return my Viper HDs, spend the extra money on the Swaro SLC's, and get a mid-level spotter? Would something like the El 12x50 cover me in both categories? I'll primarily be hunting So Cal mule deer, bear, and OTC elk in CU this year and most likely for a few years to come. Thanks in advance... -Alex

HighVoltageHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Vangysway

I bow hunt deer and bear in Cali as well. I also had some 10x42 Viper HD's and upgraded to Swaro 10x42 SLC's last year. I wouldn't hesitate to return the Vipers and buy the SLC's as they are far superior optically to the Vipers. Put them on a tripod and you'll be amazed at what you can see.
I use a spotter (Swaro ATS 65) because CA has some big country in which you will need to reach way out to pick that buck out from behind a tree. Hunt with the 10's and save your money for a quality spotter because anything less will leave you with eye fatigue, headaches and frustration because you can't quite make out what you think looks like an animal at 700 plus yards.

Swaro 10X42 SLC's HD's @ the $1500-$2000 price point would be my choice.
Can't comment on bino's in the other price points.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm glad that ELs work for most of you guys. I get headaches using them. Great glass, but not for MY eyes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I'm glad that ELs work for most of you guys. I get headaches using them. Great glass, but not for MY eyes

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last night I forgot to mention the 'rolling ball effect' with the EL's swarovsion = fleld flattening lens. It dosent happen with everyone but with some it can cause headaches and then queasiness when doing alot of horizontal panning. That can make them unusable for some but not many.

Newer EL models from 2010 onward have the swarovsion ( SV). The El's came out in 99 and from then to 2010 they had glass very similar in quality to the latest SLC HD. ( HD = high density glass not hi def as most believe). The earlier El's also had a faster focus better for hunting. The El's are lifetime binos and I wouldnt hesitate to pick up a deal on pair of pre swarovsion ones. Or for that matter a pair of used SLC HD.