RosinBag's Arizona Semi Live Mule Deer Hunt

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So the evening went well. Besides the deer I mentioned above just as I started down the dirt road, I turned up two more groups.

First group had 14 deer with two bucks. One buck a dink and the other a definite shooter to me. A 5x5 about 22" wide. I never had a chance at them as they saw me as I saw them.

This is the country...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357609977.248686.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357609989.654981.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
The next group I glasses up a mile or so away. A definite buck on the group of about 12. I made way close and they had bedded when I was about half way there.

The wind was strong so I kept going. I got above the entire group and was 76 yards from the buck as he was in his bed. A closer look and he was a out an 18" 3x3 and fairly short. So he as passed up.

This picture is him in his bed. Taken with my iPhone. He is just to the right of the green scrub in the shadow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357610238.580438.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357610252.063970.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I glassed from this area the rest of the night and that buck eventually got up and fed by me at about 48 yards. If it would have been a litter bigger I would have put one in the air, but I held out.

Nothing else seen as light was gone by about 5:50 local time.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mike, generally the stay in the area enough to locate them again.

Tomorrow I am going to check on another area to see what it holds. Tomorrows area has always been better in the past years.

Nate, all mulies. I don't think I am high enough to see many coues. When we do they are does or real small bucks.

bowuntr

WKR
Right on.... keep track of the does... a big buck will show up anytime.... this live hunt is cool.... Ed F

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Forecast for 1-3" of snow tonight through early AM, should be good tomorrow.

Slim Jim

WKR
Just got back home and now I'm subscribed. Good luck Doug, I know you'll get it done. Wish I could have stayed longer

trkyslr

WKR
Doug, sounds like you left your bad luck elk hunting tiddy whities in nor-cal by the sounds of things... You shooting ulmer's?

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Chris, the Ulmers are the ticket. I hope to put one through another mule deer and a javelina. They destroyed the Nevada buck quickly.

trkyslr

WKR
Nice, i as well will be shooting them in 2 weeks when im out there for coues. That country looks great for spot and stalk.

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
This morning....the good, the bad, the ugly and the good. I have to eat but will explain shortly...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357678441.087348.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357678463.611817.jpg

OP
RosinBag

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it was very cold this morning but the predicted weather never showed up.

The morning went well saw several groups of does in the first hour, 4-6 in each one but no bucks.

About 9 finally found a buck and he was decent. A well put together 3x3. He was with 7 does and in a very good spot to stalk him.

Starting out at about 800 yards I started his way. It didn't take long and I was within 120. The winds were howling so it made the stalking pretty easy.

They were up feeding still and I was 66 yards from the lead doe, with the buck about 15 to 20 behind her. They were feeding away from me left to right and slightly down hill.

They were feeding slowly, but moving cautiously because of the winds. As usually the wind started getting unsteady and the ears all perked up and they froze.

They buck was quartering away and downhill. I decided it was time to let loose. I pulled back and held a little off of my spot for the wind.

Once in the air, it was tracking well and moving to the right. I thought the wind was going to push it off the animal. And it didn't, perfect elevation, but to far forward.

The arrow appeared to enter right at the front shoulder, but because of how he was feeding, rode the shoulder blade and blew out the front part of his chest.

Heart sank, it looked like he was filleted open from his shoulder forward. He took off and I watched him run without stopping for about 400 yards.

Once he finally slowed, he didn't look hurt, but had a gaping hole in his hide. He bleed pretty good and his hide was blood red along the one side.

I continued watching him for about ten minutes and he was well beyond a 1000 yards away.

Cont....