Review: Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 3P Tent, by Howard Mee

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Yellow-RS.jpg

Hey Roksliders, Howard is back with another great review. This time he spent a bunch of time researching, purchasing, and of course testing a new backpacking tent.

Review: Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL 3P Tent

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you are in “Fast Fly Mode” you probably don’t need the footprint, which subtracts more ounces.

Fast fly mode with the BA tents is the rain fly over the frame attached to the footprint. Not sure how it would work without the footprint to attach the fly to.

This is a really light tent. It's packed weight is 22oz lighter (per BA specs) than my Copper Spur UL3, which is already pretty light for its size. Makes me wonder what kind of wind load it can take, or even what level of snow is its limit.

Thanks for testing this out and writing a review.

Is the material on the tiger wall the same as on the Fly Creek?

Glad to see it has the fast fly option-- looks like it could be a contender!!

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here are the BigAgnes website links for the respective tent materials.
Hopw it helps.
Big Agnes Tiger Wall UL3
Fly and floor are silicone treated nylon rip-stop with 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating
Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL3
Fly and floor are silicone treated nylon rip-stop
Fly and floor have 1200mm waterproof polyurethane coating

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I bought this tent back in July, used it for archery elk in August and it worked out great. I purchased it for the same reasons, it was the lightest three person test available. The only issue I had with the tent was when I was zipping it up it would almost always get snagged on the rain fly. It would drive me crazy messing with it, I finally learned you had to be very meticulous when zipping it up and hold the fly overlap well away from the zipper...other than that it was great, easy set up and had plenty of room for my pack, bow and boots on the side of the tent...

QUESTION: I need a 2P tent (just me -I'm big). It's for a really wet area - NW BC. I had settled on the 2P Tiger Wall, but should I consider the Fly Creek? It was your first choice. Thanks

KEVINSENC

Lil-Rokslider
I still have a big agnes seedhouse 3 that I used prior to purchasing the tiger wall. The dual side entry is a big plus and I really didnt know what I was missing since I didnt have it on the seedhouse but now that i have it on the tiger wall I dont know how I did without it. Im 6'4 275 and its a pain crawling through the front all the time...just my two cents...

QUESTION: I need a 2P tent (just me -I'm big). It's for a really wet area - NW BC. I had settled on the 2P Tiger Wall, but should I consider the Fly Creek? It was your first choice. Thanks

Where are you at in Texas? If you are near Dallas you can come check out my Fly Creek UL2-- it is front entry-- and I'll be honest I would love to have the chance at a side entry.... but for already being invested in my tent, the material is the same, both ultralight, I'll probably keep my tent...for now.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

Everyone I've known that has sold their Fly Creek did so because of the single front entry. The side entry tents with vestibules on each side are really nice.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Fast fly mode with the BA tents is the rain fly over the frame attached to the footprint. Not sure how it would work without the footprint to attach the fly to.

SYhnmcC.jpg

SIHSeWm.jpg

Does this make sense? The sketch part is staking it down... I just staked the guy-wires.

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was thinking
> rain fly over the frame
> sleeping bag on the dirt
> Stake the guy wires
Am I making sense?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was thinking
> rain fly over the frame
> sleeping bag on the dirt
> Stake the guy wires
Am I making sense?

I've never used my CS's in fast fly mode. I'm going to have to pull one out today and check it out, and see how it would work without the footprint. On the other hand, if I didn't have a footprint I'd still want a piece of Tyvek or something to put down beneath my pad etc. Not sure of the weight difference between the two. I can weigh both of those as well.

There was a thread a long ways back where a guy was planning to use paracord to hold the shape of the poles instead of the footprint. Can't remember if it was just a box or box with a crossed x inside but he wanted to avoid using the footprint and thought the paracord would work well. My google-fu is subpar today and I haven't been able to find it though.

Seems easy enough to set up the tent then take a piece of paracord to run around the outside and make tiny loops at the corners for the poles to fit into. The cord would keep the poles from spreading too far and the stakes in the corners of the fly should hold it down nicely.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I fumbled around with one of my Copper Spur tents today, and came to the conclusion that if I was ever going to use it in fast fly mode I'd just buy the footprint. It would be a royal pain IMO to try and keep everything intact/attached without the footprint, and I don't deal well with stuff that doesn't work the way it was intended. I have the footprint for my CS UL4, so that's a plus I guess if I ever go that route.

Got my Tiger Wall 2 man tent yesterday. Put it up the first time today in a few minutes without instructions - some easy, super awesome. So glad I got it.