0 degree bags that are STILL COMPACT

ljalberta

WKR
Well it’s hard to tell what WM actual rating is. According to their website, it’s “somewhere between comfort and limit.” So if it’s rated at 0* and that’s between comfort and limit assume the comfort is maybe 5ish*? The comfort on the Marmot is 9* and I’ve had it lower than that and been plenty toasty, but I am a warm sleeper and I like the tight cut. I’m not implying they are the same, but for a $600 difference, based on my real world use of the Marmot, I would recommend it not to be over looked.
Look in the FAQ on the WM website. They list a large number of their bags EN ratings.

Decker9

WKR
Anyone have any experience with Taiga sleeping bags?

I picked up a -7c night express last summer. I only have 15 or so nights in it, but it feels pretty on par with my WM antelope in terms of quality. The Taiga outer fabric feels a bit tougher then the WM as well. If I was to do the WM over again, I’d 100% go with a taiga, mostly because of their price point (and I’m in Canada), plus they were super great to deal with over the phone.
B9A82F0D-029B-4309-96AC-85EF66B42631.jpeg

LaHunter

WKR

BDRam16

WKR
How many 0 degree nights have you slept in this bag?
2. The rest of the week was around 10*, but I did not notice a difference. And that was in a floorless shelter on a cot with no pad underneath me and without a stove. I am a warm sleeper though. Again, I am not insinuating that this is as good as the other bags mentioned. It was just an option at another price point. I think for $150 it is a very good bag. I believe the OP stated he is willing to spend the money, but for someone else who might not have $750 to spend on a sleeping bag, I think this is a good alternative.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like myself who consider ourselves "gear junkies" but just don't have an unlimited amount of disposable income to purchase the highest end everything.

mrchomponthis

Lil-Rokslider
2. The rest of the week was around 10*, but I did not notice a difference. And that was in a floorless shelter on a cot with no pad underneath me and without a stove. I am a warm sleeper though. Again, I am not insinuating that this is as good as the other bags mentioned. It was just an option at another price point. I think for $150 it is a very good bag. I believe the OP stated he is willing to spend the money, but for someone else who might not have $750 to spend on a sleeping bag, I think this is a good alternative.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of people like myself who consider ourselves "gear junkies" but just don't have an unlimited amount of disposable income to purchase the highest end everything.
Actually just purchased a Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag. The bag is currently on sale at marmot.com + there is a 20% off coupon code (code: EOS22) that gets the price down to $120 TYD.

Agross

WKR
They have a sale going right now that ends tonight I believe. I just checked out one of their bags that a buddy of mine just got. Figured what the hell , I’ll try it out too.

Britt-dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have spent a lot of nights in a marmot never summer. 15 degrees at the lowest. I love the bag for what it is but wouldn't want to use it in 0 degrees without a lot of extra clothes. It is not a 0 degree comfort bag.

Dalen88

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a -7c night express last summer. I only have 15 or so nights in it, but it feels pretty on par with my WM antelope in terms of quality. The Taiga outer fabric feels a bit tougher then the WM as well. If I was to do the WM over again, I’d 100% go with a taiga, mostly because of their price point (and I’m in Canada), plus they were super great to deal with over the phone.
View attachment 380429
thanks for sharing this, the specs and the prices looks great, and Canadian too!

A bit late to the party, but I can only second everybody who praised the WM Antelope. It won't fail you, I'm extremely happy with it.

Totoro

WKR
WM is my fav when in comes down to mummy style bags and like others, true to temperature rating.

As of late, enjoying quilts from Enlightenment.

My recent 0F Enigma custom 850 down regular wide, tipped in at 29oz bare.

drra

FNG
Lots of bags out there - I would search backpacking sleeping bags and find the ones that are currently on clearance somewhere. For my Alaskan hunt I purchased a 20below very compact thermarest ultralight bag (had a separate compression sack that snugged it down really small and was really light). I chose the bag since it was high quality and was being clearanced.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any opinions on treated down? Some companies like it, some don't.

I think the fact that the two top rated manufacturers of down bags, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends don't, might tell you something.

You can read the reasons they don't use it on their respective sites.

Very happy with my Sierra Designs Nitro 0 degree for the price. If you look up the specs on it I don’t think there’s another bag that touches it for what you get for your money

I think the fact that the two top rated manufacturers of down bags, Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends don't, might tell you something.

You can read the reasons they don't use it on their respective sites.
"Treated down is also more prone to clumping than untreated down, which makes it tricky to keep properly lofted within a garment or sleeping bag." - I've seen this firsthand. Wife and me camped in a valley by a creek. Tent covered in condensation in the morning so super damp air. This was years ago when I was still a "baby" when it came to outdoor stuff, so I was concerned about my bag without treated down... it was fine. My wife's bag with treated down was clumped pretty good. I was a convert from then on.

I have a few treated items, but it isn't by choice.