0 or +20 slick bag?!

I have been wanting a slick bag forever and with the sale i just pulled the trigger on a +20 degree bag. Aaron has told me that is what bag I need but I have heard the 20 degree gets cold. I am wanting a bag that will work on a goat, sheep or Alaska drop camp hunt. Kinda
My all around bag. I have a quilt for dry hunts. Should I stick with the 20 degree or call Monday and change it to zero degree?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the older side zip which isn’t supposed to be that warm. They are great bags but I still think the ratings are generous. I get cold in my 0 degree when it gets down below 30. But that’s just me

OP
Jtelarkin08
I have the older side zip which isn’t supposed to be that warm. They are great bags but I still think the ratings are generous. I get cold in my 0 degree when it gets down below 30. But that’s just me

Ya I think changing to zero is my best bet

WKR
Have an old generation 20 that feels like a 40. The newer gen 0 degree bag is for sure closer to its rated value. I'm considering another for my wife or daughter to use.

I’ve got a 0 & 20 and always grab the 0 unless I know it’s gonna be Above 40*. For a “one and done” bag I’d buy the 0*

I just got back from a Wyoming cow elk hunt in the mountains. I ran the center zip slick 20 bag on a xtherm pad and was having to wear all my clothes plus thermals top and bottom to avoid getting chilled. In 20 to 30 degree weather. For late season I would go 0 degree unless you sleep super warm.

Those are basically lower limit ratings. I add about 13 degrees for comfort. If it's going to be below freezing get a zer0 or you'll be needing to wear your insulation layers while in the bag.

I really want to grab one as well and have decided that if I do, it'll be a 0*. Having said that, are there better options out there for a bigger mummy 0* bag at an equal price? I have a 0* big agnes, the bag is extremely warm but is very tight on me and also weighs 6lbs.

I use a 0 degree quilt for most camping cuz I can vent it for a variety of temps. You should get the 0 or even the -20. If you are cold you can't sleep and that debilitating. You can turn a sleeping bag into a quilt pretty easily if too warm but you cannot make a bag warmer and being cold sucks.

I have been wanting a slick bag forever and with the sale i just pulled the trigger on a +20 degree bag. Aaron has told me that is what bag I need but I have heard the 20 degree gets cold. I am wanting a bag that will work on a goat, sheep or Alaska drop camp hunt. Kinda
My all around bag. I have a quilt for dry hunts. Should I stick with the 20 degree or call Monday and change it to zero degree?

I think this topic is no different than people comparing or bagging on boots. Every one is different and cold is not always cold to some. My feet and hands are always cold once the weather starts to change. I just spent four nights last week in my 20 degree slick bag(newer version) in snow and really cold temps with no issues. Two of the nights I put my woobie in the bag which was perfect. I have done the same the last 2 seasons with great results. The reality is some people do not have the proper R value pad, they do not layer correctly, they over layer and start to sweat/get cold and the list goes on but still offer their opinion. Every year you see the same arguments or discussions about the same nonsense. The simple answer is find a bag that works for you and not what others tell you.

I live in AK and I use a lighter bag and if it’s cold wear my puffy’s. Works for me but with that said my warm might not be what your warm is. As well as which hunt you are doing and what time of the year you’re going.

OP
Jtelarkin08
I’m gonna call Monday and get it changed to a zero

SneekyPee

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve ran my center zip 20 degree for the last 2 seasons and I have been fine in temps down to 18 degrees, my feet got chilled but that’s about it , I do carry a woobie just in case but haven’t had to use it yet . But I sleep pretty hot , a good R value pad helps too

I just spent 10 days in BC with my 20* slick bag and loved it. It dropped below freezing a couple times, but nothing into the 20s. I went with the 20 for the weight savings, and figured that if I got cold I'd put on my layers that I was bringing regardless of my sleeping bag, and I never had to. In fact, most nights I only had it zipped up to my belly button.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those bags are so big and bulky, the 20 degree is already the size of 2 down bags, I can’t imagine getting the 0 degree slick bag.

I’d stick with a 20* bag over a 0 just because it’s easier to pack. I already carry layers for warmth so why not make those layers pull double duty and sleep in them as well?