1/10th, 3/10ths, 7/10ths and 9/10ths is magic

Beendare

WKR
After breaking a bunch of stuff- grin.....

I've been playing with my Junxing F261 riser [19"] and Nika limbs getting it tuned and quiet.

The long 48# Nika 3's are 52# at my 30.75" DL with about 1 1/2-2 turns out. My F261 didn't come with bushings on the limb bolts- rubber bushings made a huge difference. I did my usual, pad the limb pockets with the double stick rubber tape and moleskin over that, Wrap 6" of the string ends with wool.

it was only OK...but when dialing in the Tiller- even and brought the BH up to 8"....that got a bareshaft shooting perfect.

The topper was the string puffs- smaller than my normal puffs- these are 20 wraps around a 1' ruler. 4 puffs total.
bowstring_harmonics.JPG

I used the oscillation chart posted- I don't know who to give credit-its from many sites. I measured the string to where it touches the limb on each end, then divided by 10. I placed the 2 puffs 4.9" and 10" in from the limb ends and the vibration and noice dropped noticably.

Note, you use a different node [1/6] on the string if only using 2 puffs. YMMV, it's worth playing with but prior to this I had been using 8"/16"...but this 1/10 and 3/10 is quieter with less vibration on my bow. Play around with it...it can make a difference.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Magic is too strong a term- tuning and BH is the magic….puff placement can help.
IMG_0560.jpeg

The theory here is to place the puffs at the node where the oscillation is the highest.

At first I thought it was Vodoo- grin...but there is definitely something to it.

I think it works best if you tune without puffs first....then place the puffs. Try it and chime in on what works best for you.

Heterodyne method with the addition of a second set of puffs. Been using this method for quite some time. It works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steadman

WKR
Added a couple to my string to see if it was magic. I was hoping my bow would somehow shoot more magically lol!! It didn’t. Still me that sucks lol!! But seriously it did quiet my bow down substantially and I noticed way less vibrations. There is something to this. Thanks for posting

Is that the placement at 1/3rd and 1/4th of the string length?

Yes sir. Now there’s more to it with the harmonics. I like where it’s gone now. And with what BD has done. I’m going to have to play a little bit now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: GLB
It makes sense you'd get less bang for your buck out of silencing the 4th harmonic especially if you shoot split, because you're releasing the string pretty close to a node of the 4th harmonic and won't excite it as much as the 3rd and and the other odd order harmonics.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
It makes sense you'd get less bang for your buck out of silencing the 4th harmonic especially if you shoot split, because you're releasing the string pretty close to a node of the 4th harmonic and won't excite it as much as the 3rd and and the other odd order harmonics.
Ok...well I'm going to need some magic with these Border limbs I just picked up....dang they are fast as heck.....and smoothest draw of a limb I've shot...but there is a loud twang after the shot.

I'm still dinking around with BH and there is nothing on the string yet so- to be fair- maybe I spoke too soon.

TX_Diver

WKR
Ok...well I'm going to need some magic with these Border limbs I just picked up....dang they are fast as heck.....and smoothest draw of a limb I've shot...but there is a loud twang after the shot.

I'm still dinking around with BH and there is nothing on the string yet so- to be fair- maybe I spoke too soon.

If I remember right from some other threads, people run kinda whacky brace heights on them (and also string materials)? Might be worth e-mailing border and seeing what they suggest if you haven't already.

If I remember right from some other threads, people run kinda whacky brace heights on them (and also string materials)? Might be worth e-mailing border and seeing what they suggest if you haven't already.
Yeah agreed. @Beendare I would recommend getting a chronograph if possible and starting low brace height, increasing a few twists at a time til you hit a peak speed and then start falling off again. Doing that should help noise, ease of tuning, forgiveness to form mistakes, etc.

OP
Beendare

Beendare

WKR
Border recommends shooting at the lowest BH possible- as low as 6.5". They have a chart on their website. I have the benefit of a couple guys that shoot for Border helping me. FWIW, they shoot their border limbs at the top end- or a little more- than border recommends.

I just don't have time to mess with these right now- I have 2 setups that shoot well....My numero uno is the Dryad 19" riser with the Selengha limbs at a little over 50#, 435g arrow tuned to perfection......and elk season is right around the corner. I have some Nika's on my Stalker riser at 53/54# and it shoots the same arrow, same trajectory.