1 and Done Elk Outfitter for 2025

Pochuck

FNG
Hi all,

I've been lurking for some time but decided I needed to start getting into it

I'm looking for a guided elk hunt for my dad who's getting up in age and was wondering if someone had an outfitter recommendation based on what he's looking for for his first and maybe only elk hunt
Ideally, the hunt is:
-Rifle
-Landowner tags-not looking to wait for a drawn tag
-Lodge-style hunt
-Not high fence-free range
-$10-20k budget, not including airfare, taxidermy, etc
-Chance at a 300" bull or better
-Any state

Experience level - We're from the northeast and have been hunting whitetails our whole lives, done 2 moose hunts in Maine and 2 bear hunts in Idaho

I have a lot more years to build preference points and youth to get it done on my own but am looking for a "splurge" hunt with a reputable outfitter

I Contacted Three Forks and Ted Turner ranches and their waitlists seem pretty long

Thank you for any info!

their waitlists seem pretty long
this a good thing, it means they offer a service that is worth waiting for. More times than not if an outfit has openings for the upcoming year or 2 that is for good reason as most good reputable outfits are booked years in advance and have long wait lists.

A lot of great outfitters in NM. Call early and buy a landowner tag and hunt. If you sit around thinking about it or listening to what guys on the internet say about the prices being too high when you finally decide to go LO tags will probably be long gone.

The Acoma reservation listed below is considered one of the most premier elk hunts available that does not require you to draw a license but it comes with a steep price tag.

Compass West listed below is a GREAT option in New Mexico, Chris and the guys put every ounce they have into getting you on bulls.

A lot of great outfitters in NM. Call early and buy a landowner tag and hunt. If you sit around thinking about it or listening to what guys on the internet say about the prices being too high when you finally decide to go LO tags will probably be long gone.
Exactly !! By the time you decide to go, the price will be so high (much more than now), you won't want to pay it.

Just give Steve's Outdoor Adventure a call and book with him. He has what you are looking for and he is a no nonsense agent representing several great outfitters with nice herds and you can do private land with land owner tags or horseback wilderness type hunts on public land. Most are 7,500-13,500. Check out his website. That's the path I'm taking. Too much bullshit with lousy outfitters to risk a once in a lifetime hunt or you wait forever for a tag or a spot in the schedule.

Just give Steve's Outdoor Adventure a call and book with him. He has what you are looking for and he is a no nonsense agent representing several great outfitters with nice herds and you can do private land with land owner tags or horseback wilderness type hunts on public land. Most are 7,500-13,500. Check out his website. That's the path I'm taking. Too much bullshit with lousy outfitters to risk a once in a lifetime hunt or you wait forever for a tag or a spot in the schedule.
Totally forgot about Steve West. He took over the Quinlan Ranch after the sale, and did an awesome job. He is on the outdoor hunting show channel (SOA Adventures) and even has some videos of hunts on the Quinlan. He is a standup guy, and can find you what you want for sure.

Good recomendations above.

I only have personal experience with one regarding a lodge and private land. That would be Brian with Top Notch Outfitters in Capitan. He has a nice lodge. Not too fancy but a good place with good home cooked meals. He has a great group of guides and a LOT of land in unit 37.
I hunted public with him in 36 a few years ago and had a great hunt. He personally helped out along with his oldest son guiding me. He went above and beyond with the recovery and borrowed a pair of mules to get the elk out of some steep and nasty country. Wasn't part of the deal and we didn't ask, he just wanted to help out best he could.

I'd also call Pete at 505 Outfitters. I've hunted with him on the 2 day hunts so I don't know anything about his private land or lodge hunts. He's a straight shooter and help you out if he can.

Back