1 month solo trip

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you want to catch fish you use a spinning reel. You fly fish when you want to look cool and go home hungry!
That's funny........it's always been the complete opposite for me. I rarely keep any fish regardless. I spent a month solo up in BC and there were spots up there that were a fish every cast with the fly rod. And I only kept two fish the entire trip....a couple small pan-sized for dinner. I grew up fly fishing CO, WY, and MT. I took my daughters on a trip and after a lot of frustration and empty hooks, I quickly switched them over to fly fishing and then all was well with the planets aligned again.

OP, a month is very doable....especially with realistic expectations and a plan to break things up if needed. I'll even do a quick elk hunt in the morning and then be on the river fishing by 10am until after lunch on my normal elk hunts depending on where I'm hunting. Just take the time to enjoy the "whole experience".

Dirtbag

WKR
That's funny........it's always been the complete opposite for me.
I fly fish and fish conventional, I cant tell you how many times I've seen conventional fisherman get smoked on western streams by flyfisherman.

pressured fish gorging on #22 midges have zero interest in a 00 Blue fox spinner on 10 lb mono.

Wrench

WKR
I did 28 straight this year. Plus side is that you can put critters to bed and if tomorrow's weather doesn't work....you have a bunch of tomorrows.

The down side is that it is hell on the body. I am a big dude 240lbs and 28 days on the mountain destroys a pair of boots. If you roll an ankle, you just screwed 25% of your trip....so don't push beyond your control.....I stepped in a badger or coyote hole that caved in and thought it was the end.....I got lucky.

Weather in the west can go from 90 to minus 10 in 30 days.....sometimes even 24 hours, so be prepared.

Practice drying boots with warm rocks on some junk boots....so you can figure out how how and many rocks you need without killing your kicks.

Do not rely on electronics to get you there. My onx shit the bed on a day so smokey I couldn't see over a hundred yards....lensatic compass was no use. I was able to get a bearing on the map from known locations and validate with my watch, altimeter and gps.....this is dangerous if you are in unfamiliar country, out here drainages may all lead out.....but the side canyons can make a 5 mile trip into 500.

Wrench

WKR
I fly fish and fish conventional, I cant tell you how many times I've seen conventional fisherman get smoked on western streams by flyfisherman.

pressured fish gorging on #22 midges have zero interest in a 00 Blue fox spinner on 10 lb mono.
100% ditto.

Rich M

WKR

I've seen it go both ways.

They have fly only areas so there will be fish for the fly fishermen to catch, not spin only areas to have fish for the spin fishermen to catch. Just sayin'. ;) (fly guys usually release the fish to be caught again)

And, when possible, I do both, but won't go down to the midge sizes. That's specialty stuff. We caught a lot of fish with #12 and #14 hares ear & a modified hornberg kind of fly w sinking line.

Anyway - @bradr3367

Go and have fun.

Don't listen to the mental burnout talk. You have a different mindset than the young guys who get burned-out mentally after just a few days of hunting for whatever reason. I would love a month straight of hunting and fishing without outside stuff to deal with. Have to deal with 2 weeks at a pop until I retire.

Elk will be fun and antelope will be easy - it won't take you 15 days for an antelope. That's okay cause it'll leave more time for fishing.

If you fly fish, bring the stuff. If you spin fish, bring that stuff. Bring both stuff and capitalize on whatever works best.

Anyway - figure out what you want to do, then make a Plan B and Plan C in case of weather, want of a hot shower and soft bed, early kill, whatever - be flexible, enjoy!

zacattack

WKR
I appreciate that! I don't flyfish, but could I guy do ok with a spinning rod/reel?
Get some of the tough bubbles or whatever they are called. It’s an invisible bobber you can add water to for weight and you can cast flies with it using spinning gear.

NoWiser

WKR
If I was planning 1 month + in Wyoming I'd be taking a couple days to head up into the Bighorn Basin for some birds and fishing. I had a deer tag there a few years back and couldn't walk anywhere without tripping over huns and chukars. I've never regretted not having a shotgun with me so much in my life.

OP
B

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
If I was planning 1 month + in Wyoming I'd be taking a couple days to head up into the Bighorn Basin for some birds and fishing. I had a deer tag there a few years back and couldn't walk anywhere without tripping over huns and chukars. I've never regretted not having a shotgun with me so much in my life.
You answered my very next question. Thanks

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider

I fish mostly flies, but nothing ever comes close to the numbers I can catch in any western river/stream with night crawlers. I’ve never liked spinners for trout!

ScottRK

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you can do it. Just did my first elk hunt.
I got to WY 8/28 to start scouting and acclimate. I headed home on 9/21 didn’t go back to work and retired 9/30 at 55. Never got on the thread that was going but the trades are a great option
I slept in a twin in the 6’5” bed of my truck.I really didn’t set up a camp save putting up a tarp one rainy day. I stayed really mobile with it. I had a reclining lawn chair and a little folding plastic patio stand to cook on.I lost 10 pounds out there and have kept it off since.

About every 6-7 days I’d head to town get a motel room for the night, couple good meals, get some food, ice, jugs of water,and actually talk to somebody in person. Only saw 1 other guy actually on foot hunting, but heard a few atv.Had some cell service out in BLM, so that broke some boredom.
For a little break on a couple hot days I just drove my old truck around two tracks and trails . I went fishing a couple times without catching anything with spinners and spoons too for a little break from hunting.
Antelope were but there, but had no tag for them.

OP
B

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Hope you can do it. Just did my first elk hunt.
I got to WY 8/28 to start scouting and acclimate. I headed home on 9/21 didn’t go back to work and retired 9/30 at 55. Never got on the thread that was going but the trades are a great option
I slept in a twin in the 6’5” bed of my truck.I really didn’t set up a camp save putting up a tarp one rainy day. I stayed really mobile with it. I had a reclining lawn chair and a little folding plastic patio stand to cook on.I lost 10 pounds out there and have kept it off since.

About every 6-7 days I’d head to town get a motel room for the night, couple good meals, get some food, ice, jugs of water,and actually talk to somebody in person. Only saw 1 other guy actually on foot hunting, but heard a few atv.Had some cell service out in BLM, so that broke some boredom.
For a little break on a couple hot days I just drove my old truck around two tracks and trails . I went fishing a couple times without catching anything with spinners and spoons too for a little break from hunting.
Antelope were but there, but had no tag for them.
Sounds a lot like what I have planned. I'm thinking if I do stay at the truck for a night or two, I'll just sleep in the back seat floor since my back seat folds up to provide me with a very roomy sleeping area. It doesn't allow me to fully stretch out lengthwise, but it's enough for a good nights sleep, which is what I did during turkey season. A small folding table, a camp chair, and I'm in business.

OP
B

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting very interested in mixing in some bird hunting since a few guys have mentioned it. I think it'd be a great thing to mix in with the big game & fishing. From what I'm hearing, I'm assuming a guy could be successful without a dog?

bsnedeker

WKR

Worms my friend....worms! No need to get fancy with it!